Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Aug 2024, 06:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 08:11 

wait wait...

so does this confirm that it will work on my 3x24inch dells? with native res of 1920x1200?

I'm thinking of 5770 as I have no need for 100fps lol!

will this work with the 5770 as well?

thanks

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 21:06 

Alright here's the dealio. I bought a new PC gig and already had 2x Samsung 225BW 22" inchers with DVI-VGA at 1680x1050. When I discovered EyeFinity I was extremely excited cause for the first time I could actually use the double screens. But I quickly found out that without a 3rd central monitor all games would suck cause half a crosshair would be on the left screen and the other half on the other screen :)

So I picked up another Samsung 225BW 2nd hand for €90 and without any additional research I purchased a DisplayPort to DVI cable only after hearing that I can't use the HDMI and 2x DVI at the same time. Well of course, that didn't work. Waited for the cable for a week, was so excited like a lil kid only to get somewhat frustrated when I read I have to spend €130 on an Accell adapter.

Well then I found this topic and I'm of course curious wether this would work for me.. but I'm not very keen on buying another adapter to find out it doesn't work.

Would this work: http://kabeltje.com/accell-displayport-naar-dvid-adapter-p-1568.html
Or do I need to drop €130 to get this one: http://kabeltje.com/accell-displayport-naar-dvid-dual-link-actieve-adapter-25cm-out-of-stock-p-1628.html

It's a bit anyway considering the monitor was only €90. I could almost just buy a new single DisplayPort 22" but that will not look good cause of diff height or whatever. Any tips? Don't risk another faulty purchase or should I go for it? That adapter, though being a cable, looks rather fancy but the other one specifically says it's perfect for EyeFinity.

Any help would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 02:06 

one is certain, the 1st one you linked wouldn't work, passive dp > dvi just dont work.
look around if you can find a displayport > vga in your country like the ones shown in this thread. they are much cheaper (got mine brand new from ebay for 10 Euros), and there wont be a huge difference between a digital and analog signal in 1680*1050. Some users got lucky to get it to run even in 1920*1200, some have troubles, it seems to depend on the display model.

I would like it very much to contribute to this thread by reporting how my bizlink dp > vga works, but the shipping situation on 5850s is just disastrous.

I am in the same boat as you, got my 2nd and 3rd screens used for like 70 Euros, no way I am gonna pay for an adapter more than for the screen :doh

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 13:34 

Hi there,

Just built my new PC.

My last rig used 2 cards along with SoftTH. This worked reasonably well but I got a bit miffed
with the massive frame rate hit so decided to go down the Eyefinity route. My new rig It now
has a Sapphire HD5770 card. The 5770 card works really well with the one screen hitting around
the 200fps in the racing sims that I run. Hopefully I'll get something reasonable out of an Eyefinity
setup.

I have 3 22" monitors - 2 x Acer P223W and an ASUS M221.

I began looking at how the Eyefinity works in terms of connectivity (yes after I'd bought the card :oops:)
and found I now had to spend another £60 to £100 to get an adapter because I didn't have a DP enabled
monitor. But with a few searches on the interweb I came across this thread :rockout

So I have just bought a DP to VGA adapter like the one discussed above. Bought it off of eBay
for £14.99 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180436101188&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)
Should arrive mid week.

Big thankyou to everyone for a great thread. I shall have a look at the rest of the forum now.

I'll let you know how I get on with it.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009, 02:09 

Just wanted to give an update to my posts from a week or so ago regarding the Monoprice DP-VGA cable. It's still working, but it seems like the flickering issues definitely weren't as bad the first day I received it. The first few days, it seemed like the screen would flicker quite a bit and then it would happen less and less often until it didn't happen at all. However, now the flicker appears to be a regular issue - I get a one-second black screen on my DP monitor every few minutes. This does not appear to happen nearly as often, if at all, at lower resolutions - mostly at 1920x1200. I've ordered the more expensive active DVI adapter, and hopefully that will be the end of that.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 15:51 

Got the DVI->VGA adapter and plugged it in. I can only get display on 2 of the 3 monitors , one of which is the monitor connected via VGA to the DP port. Looked at CCC at it states that one of them is disabled. There doesn't seem to be any option to enable this monitor.

In CCC there is no mention of setting up multi-monitors. In some of the how to videos I've seen on YouTube there is mention of a Desktop and Displays menu option but I do not have this. I am currently running CCC v9.11. Is there another version of this ?

I have spent an hour or so now but haven't got anywhere.

Open to suggestions on this

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 21:33 

.....In CCC there is no mention of setting up multi-monitors. In some of the how to videos I've seen on YouTube there is mention of a Desktop and Displays menu option but I do not have this.....

Is it possible you are running CCC in Basic mode, not Advanced mode?

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 22:34 

I am using on my 5970 the minidp to dp adapter that came with the card then the monoprice dp to vga adapter to my 1680x1050 display. Question is do I need the dp monitor to be the middle monitor. I have seen many threads here that say they are putting the dp enabled monitor in the middle. I get the on off screen every 15 minutes and if it is on one of the outside screen it is not a big deal. Can I put the dp enabled monitor on the ouside?? Thanks!!

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 22:48 

I am using on my 5970 the minidp to dp adapter that came with the card then the monoprice dp to vga adapter to my 1680x1050 display. Question is do I need the dp monitor to be the middle monitor. I have seen many threads here that say they are putting the dp enabled monitor in the middle. I get the on off screen every 15 minutes and if it is on one of the outside screen it is not a big deal. Can I put the dp enabled monitor on the ouside?? Thanks!!

It needs to be hooked to the monitor with the highest native resolution.
Of course, if all are 1680x1050, any one of them will do.

As far as where it is in the grid, I doubt it matters, but give it a try and see...

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 16:12 

[quote]

.....In CCC there is no mention of setting up multi-monitors. In some of the how to videos I've seen on YouTube there is mention of a Desktop and Displays menu option but I do not have this.....

Is it possible you are running CCC in Basic mode, not Advanced mode?

Thanks for that but no not that its because I'm running Windows XP and it seems Eyefinity doesn't work with this OS :roll: . Didn't know this :oops: . So I now have Windows 7 which I was going to get after Xmas but hey lets blow all of my money now who needs to buy presents.

Got the DP to VGA adapter working with an expanded desktop, but there is a problem.

I have noticed that when Windows goes into sleep mode the DP to VGA link is lost and never comes back, the link lost message mentioned above appears on the screen. The only way I could get this back was to physically detach the adapter from the diaplyport on the ATI card and reattach it. This brings the link back up. This is annoying as my PC is behind my 3 screens and I have to exert energy in getting up out of my seat to do this. Yes I am a lazy b*****d. While installing an application I noticed the link came back. When installing the desktop goes dark and a dialog box appears titled 'User Account Control' and asks you whether you really really want to install this. Thought this provided a work around so I now have a desktop shortcut to an installation program/ Double click on the shortcut the screen goes dark. dialog ask the question do you want to install click on No and get returned to desktop with the DP to VGA screen kicked back into life. Its not elegant but it works and safes me burning off a few calories. (hope that made sense!). I guess I could stop the monitors from going into sleep mode but hey I'll have the mentalists on my back if I don't look as if I'm trying to safe the planet.

I have yet to try any games with this setup so this is my next task, I'll let you know how I fair.

So far there has been no flickering of the DP to VGA screen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next