Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 04:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 72  Next
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 20:28 
Insiders
Insiders

"Active" adapter means there is transcoding conversion of the signal from one format to another. There has to be some powered circuitry in the adapter that takes DP signal and converts it into the totally different DVI (or HDMI) signal. They're both digital signals but they're formatted differently. So when you use a "passive" adapter, what is occurring is you're piping a DP signal into your display via the DVI port and it has no clue what to do with it.

This basically means, whoever comes to market first with a cheap single-link dvi active adapter is going to be able to cash in on quantity sales. This really needs a street price of around $30, but I have my doubts that can be done.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 20:29 
Editors
Editors

I've had confirmation from Scan that they are actively working on sourcing those Active DisplayPort->DVI adaptors for those in the UK, and those who can order from the UK.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 20:32 

"Active" adapter means there is transcoding conversion of the signal from one format to another. There has to be some powered circuitry in the adapter that takes DP signal and converts it into the totally different DVI signal.

Yeah so as far as the videocard is concerned the DP port is connected to DP device and it is, the DP device just happens to be converting the signal to DVI.

-----

On another note:

If some one is kind of enough to ship me an active converter (at my expense of course) i will make sure no one finds out hehe, everyone outside the US is pretty much screwed with Eyefinity unless they have at least 1 DP Display, cant believe ATi didnt think about this.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 20:44 
Insiders
Insiders

I've had confirmation from Scan that they are actively working on sourcing those Active DisplayPort->DVI adaptors for those in the UK, and those who can order from the UK.
Cool Scan ship to NZ, I think (if not they'll go to my in laws first- EDIT: like my pre-order copy of Win7 **AHEM**))

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 20:55 
Editors
Editors

Cool Scan ship to NZ, I think (if not they'll go to my in laws first- EDIT: like my pre-order copy of Win7 **AHEM**))

Yeah, I was told earlier today, but forgot about it in a fit of working. :lol: Mentioned it so you wouldn't stress too much. ;)

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 21:00 

Any idea how long that is gonna take?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 21:01 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]Cool Scan ship to NZ, I think (if not they'll go to my in laws first- EDIT: like my pre-order copy of Win7 **AHEM**))

Yeah, I was told earlier today, but forgot about it in a fit of working. :lol: Mentioned it so you wouldn't stress too much. ;)
Haha thanks, I am not stressing that much. the x2 and/or 2GB cards don't come out for a while. So I have time to sort this out ;)

There are some new images of the x2 at Hardware Canucks which show the connectors of the x2. The centre one is a mini-DP, I think? So another adaptor required LOL

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 21:03 
Editors
Editors

Apple make a mini-DP->DVI adaptor. It's also $100. Except that one is actually sold in the UK; the only reason I've discounted it is because for the normal 5870 is would require a mini-DP->DP adaptor, then the DP->DVI adaptor. Less = More, when it comes to adaptors. ;)

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 21:05 
Editors
Editors

Any idea how long that is gonna take?

No idea, sorry. PM Ben@Scan on the forum and let him know (politely! ;)) that you're really interested in the active adaptors too. I'm sure Scan will do their best.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 21:05 
Insiders
Insiders

Apple make a mini-DP->DVI adaptor. It's also $100. Except that one is actually sold in the UK; the only reason I've discounted it is because for the normal 5870 is would require a mini-DP->DP adaptor, then the DP->DVI adaptor. Less = More, when it comes to adaptors. ;)
So is the Apple adaptor active/DP+? And I can get it NZ :)

EDIT: but maybe I don't want to ...the amount of troubles that are up on their user reviews is unbelievable! This is just the NZ site

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 72  Next