Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 05:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 48  Next
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2009, 03:50 

My Apple active adapter arrived today, I was very happy to find the MiniDP to DP adapter in the mailbox along with it also. (good timing).

Here is what I have:

Core i7 920
6 gb Corsair
500 gb Seagate
ATI 5850
3 Acer 1680x1050 22" monitors
Coolerpower 750W PSU

Everything is working, after a bit of a hassle figuring out how to get eyefinity set up and in the proper order. One odd issue though, the monitor on the Apple adapter will only set to a max res of 1600x1200 rather than the monitors native 1680x1050. When I set up Eyefinity it will only do 4800x1200....any ideas where that is coming from? Is the Apple adapter sending the wrong information to the ATI card?

I have the Apple adapter plugged into a power USB hub and have had not issues whatsoever with blinking, flashing, droping or lagging. It has been working right along with the other two monitors.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2009, 06:51 

Sounded like a good idea, however I've just bought a 5v 1amp USB charger to try it and I've still got the same issue.
Does anyone know if the same issue happens with a DP monitor, connected directly to the card?

I've got three Samsung 2343bwx monitors and the Apple adapter works fine with no blinking. Did you try disabling any powersaving on the monitor or PC end? How about disabling your monitors automatic input detection? Other than that and swapping cables, I'm outta ideas. How about wiggling and reinserting your adapter/dp cable?

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2009, 21:10 

[quote]Sounded like a good idea, however I've just bought a 5v 1amp USB charger to try it and I've still got the same issue.
Does anyone know if the same issue happens with a DP monitor, connected directly to the card?

I've got three Samsung 2343bwx monitors and the Apple adapter works fine with no blinking. Did you try disabling any powersaving on the monitor or PC end? How about disabling your monitors automatic input detection? Other than that and swapping cables, I'm outta ideas. How about wiggling and reinserting your adapter/dp cable?

All power saving has been switched off (at computer and Monitor), I have also switched all monitors to manual input. I've wiggled and re-inserted the cables and adaptors so may times, I'm surprised they're not broken!

I have now connected ALL monitors with Dual link DVI cables and the USB port to the mains plug (1 amp, as suggested (thanks)). The left monitor is connected by the active Dp to DVI adaptor.
I have also made sure that the Catalyst Control Centre has been set to 'use manual detection only'.
The left monitor still switches off for a couple of seconds every so often (no pattern to it though), but then comes back on.
I guess this will have to do for now, so thanks for all your help.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 03:39 

[quote]Sounded like a good idea, however I've just bought a 5v 1amp USB charger to try it and I've still got the same issue.

but you said there were rare turns off / on ??

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 04:20 

[quote][quote]Sounded like a good idea, however I've just bought a 5v 1amp USB charger to try it and I've still got the same issue.

This only happens when I'm changing resolutions within the game, which thankfully is only done once per game. Every now and then, following such a resolution/configuration change, I'll see a little blinking. Rebooting cures it.

During normal operation, whether in the desktop or gaming, I've gone three hour stretches with absolutely stable operation and no blinking/snow/noise issues (which is about as long as I can stomach in front of my five feet of LCD). :D

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 14:45 

[quote][quote]Sounded like a good idea, however I've just bought a 5v 1amp USB charger to try it and I've still got the same issue.

Interestingly, it seems a lot worse if I'm not playing a game. It has only dropped out a couple of times when I do play.
I play a lot on iracing and this hasn't dropped out once.
It all seems very strange.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2009, 08:57 

[quote][quote][quote]Sounded like a good idea, however I've just bought a 5v 1amp USB charger to try it and I've still got the same issue.

Interestingly, it seems a lot worse if I'm not playing a game. It has only dropped out a couple of times when I do play.
I play a lot on iracing and this hasn't dropped out once.
It all seems very strange.

Dang. I've been using mine for a week now and it's been stable throughout. I'm outta ideas. Did you screw down all the connections? I know the Apple adapter's DVI port had to be finagled a bit and was a tight fit with my DVI cable's screws.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2009, 01:04 

I posted a topic about this a week or so ago. I had already tried all the various solutions posted in this thread and still had/(have) the random blanking issue. I tried the serpate USB power adaptor, power settings, cables.. everything. Finally I called dell to get an RMA. Still waiting on them to ship me my new one. (been over a week now.. still "In Production")

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2009, 04:38 

I am having the same problem as well. I have the dell adapter and have tried diffrent monitors, cables, and the iphone USB adapter which is 1 amp, no luck still going out. My display port display has been off more than it has been on, I have been working on it for the past hour and the display has probobly only been on and working with all 3 screens for maybe 5 min and longest was around 2 min straight. I am chatting with dell right now to get an RMA, it seems that this is a hardware issue with the adapter as it works fine with other straight dvi connections or an issue with the display port on the card.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2009, 22:01 

Hello.. I registered so i can reply in this topic. :)

I was having the same trouble too, with the ADAPTED DP monitor flickering and going out. About a week ago, it was only happening once or so per gaming session.

It started getting worse... so I back tracked my steps.

I noticed it got worse after I messed with overdrive. I also noticed it continued to worsen even more when I was messing around with overlocking my cpu.

This morning I installed a higher rated power supply. And it has yet to flicker. I was very happy. It felt like something wasn't getting enough power and perhaps having that 3rd monitor doesn't stress things out.

So, to recap. I went from a 550w cheapo powersupply to an OCZ 1000w. and no issue since.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 48  Next