Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 06:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 13:57 

We are working on a kit that will give you two options for the "middle three". I'll look to see if we can "tuck the bezels" to help hide them. However, because the panels are rotated portrait, you have a much narrower width on the horizontal and the angle needed to "tuck" would be pretty harsh.

The two options will allow you to either have the three middle monitors completely flat to each other (and then the outer monitors at and angle to that set), or put a small amount of angle between the middle three (so the angle on the outside monitors doesn't have to be so harsh).

Ergotech has two types of pivots - regular duty and heavy duty. The heavy duty are about an inch shallower that the regular duty. We are set to include one fixed HD for the center, then two HD adjustable pivots and two regular pivots.

If you arrange the pivots as such (on my 5x22"): HD-R-HD-R-HD, the center monitor sits about an inch behind the monitors in the #2 and #4 position. You then angle the 2 & 4 to meet the center monitor, producing an angle of about 12 degrees. I then set my outer monitors with about 25 degrees, giving me an overall angle between the center and outer of around 37 degrees. However, this produces a more gradual parabolic arc that I find pleasing

Sounds great! I was hoping for options other than tucking and limiting my thinking to uniform mount offsets from the bar.

My 3x1 is setup at 20 degrees with 23" (36.5" span on 12.75" faces). I agree that parabolic is better than a fixed radius arc. I think I might want more than 12 and 25 degrees as the mating angles though. My eyes vary between 2 and 3 feet currently. That might change favorably if I sat a bit further back, which 5x1 might cause me to do.

When I realign my monitors and sit back a bit further, about 17 degrees is where I settle (37" span). Pushing to a 37.5" span yields 13.5 deg, and those seem just too flat. Will leave it that way for a bit to see if my perceptions of it improve.

12 degrees seems like it would be flat ish with 23" monitors (or 24" or worse 24"@16:10 ratio). How does it look if you mount your U2410's on there?

PS- Better or worse than reviewing all the cards and playing not enough games... Great to know that the various companies have someone so thorough, cognizant of the relevant issues, and open to the rest of the community helping them with marketing and now product development.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 19:22 

5x1 gives you (for one) driver compatibility in the short future, It give you a nice 1920 pixel height and it's still wider than 16x9. No it's not as wide as 3x1, but you get a crisper picture, and more of the users view is taken up. I also like the idea of PLP (I nearly did it a while ago instead of doing 3x1), But the lack of drivers and the need for windowed mode or softTH is too much of a hassle. 3x1 is the entry level surround gaming experience, but I think 5x1P will be the sweet spot for Surround Gamers in the future.

EDIT: Just to touch on 5x1L it's WAY too wide, it's fairly obnoxious (something I'd never thought I'd say).

Your about head on there I think Suiken.

Seems to me the average will have 1.
The Mid Enthusiast might have 3.
The new "wide screen" will be 5 (in portrait).

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 13:20 

I like the idea of the 5x1p setup but was aiming for U2410's initially in 3x1L. Could get 5x1p for the same price going with smaller monitors but I really want that extra 'width' that the height of a 24" 1200 panel would give in portrait (and IPS) so guess it's 3x1 U2410 until I can push for another two...

Currently have a 2407 so could at least get the feeling for it by trying 4x1 (accepting a central bezel) or even just get another 2407 for the other side - anyone mixed a U2410 with a 2407/2408 - does the current bezel management allow the mix?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 01:13 

I put another question to the community here by asking, should I wait for a different model of the Eyefinity 6 card (not the stock card, but a card with something like a vapor x style)? If so, why? If not, why?

Just something I am thinking of as I bide my time for my 5x1 to come to a reality (money will force the idea of mine till May).

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 18:06 
Founder
Founder

If you're happy with the card you have now, then I would wait until the last minute to get the E6 card. Even if something like VaporX isn't out, you might see someone offer a discount or price drop.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 03:53 

Looking at all the different scenarios you have posted, why would anyone choose anything but the 3x1, as it clearly shows you get the most view and with the least amount of bars.

Deke

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 04:50 

Looking at all the different scenarios you have posted, why would anyone choose anything but the 3x1, as it clearly shows you get the most view and with the least amount of bars.

Deke

Unfortunately it is not the most accurate representation. It is merely to give an idea, but it seems to give a bad one.

I am sitting with a 3x1 at the moment and it is quite large, but I know the 5x1 would give more real estate.

Addition: So I was searching around for a good IPS Monitor and the only 2 that are holding tight so far are;
HP ZR22w
and
NEC EA231WMi

Opinions? I believe these are the only 22-23" that are IPS and DisplayPort ready.

Addition2: Here is a review of the 22" big brother Here. It seems that it has a lower quality contrast ration to the u2410, but that it is a better price for what you want.

Addition3: Ideal Monitor-120hz, IPS, Good Blacks, Good contrast ratio, DisplayPort, 24", Standard Color RGB, good viewing angles, below $500. Asking to much... yes.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 22:17 
Founder
Founder

Deke

5x1-P is a balance of aspect ratio and physical screen real estate. To quote page 2 in my review of the Eyefinity6

[list]
[*]Physically fills the field of vision - both horizontally and vertically.
It offers a significantly increased aspect ratio over “normal” widescreen[/*:m]
[*]Due to a less “extreme” aspect ratio, it would suffer less “edge distortion” than 3x1-L.[/*:m]
[*]Doesn't have the horizontal bezels of 3x2 Eyefinity[/*:m]
[*]If a game doesn’t support ultra-wide aspect ratios, you could still play in “widescreen” on 3x1-P, at an ultra-high resolution (rather than a single small widescreen).[/*:m]
[*]Games that “break” in ultra-wide aspect ratios (i.e., disappearing objects in Dragon Age: Origins, broken cinematics in The Witcher, etc.) may function normally in a less extreme aspect ratio.[/*:m][/list:u]

Here's a pic from the same page:

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2010, 03:42 

Let me know when you expect to have the stand ready. I would like to gauge when I should buy the monitors etc.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2010, 16:14 

Sorry for the double post. But I know what setup I want now.

For now I will go for a PLP (In windowed), but later what I want is to have 3x1 30" in portrait (almost the same real estate as 5x1 24") as I think this would be perfect. Less bezel but more real estate sounds good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next