Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 Sep 2024, 06:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 18:31 

I bought this adapter and it worked perfectly on windows vista with my 5770 and 3 4:3 displays. After I wiped the hard drive and upgraded to windows 7 then I started getting displayport errors, they're really getting annoying. Its an error with windows 7 and the drivers, not the hardware.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 17:59 

I personally like to beat dead horses with dead horses so...

I bought the adapter from Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042801&p_id=5135&seq=1&format=4#feedback

I am running 1 Samsung 244T along with 2 HP LP2465's(Thanks a4mula for the tip) on either side at 5760x1200.

That being said I have had ZERO issues. I am running the adapter on my main monitor since it has a VGA port on it. I am quite sure that is a major reason why it works but if you have a similar setup. I highly recommend giving it a try.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 21:49 

I finally got my displayport-VGA adapter to work with mixed monitors and thought that I’d share my findings. I had been getting the “Displayport Link Failure” error message when I tried to add the second monitor. My primary is a 24” (1920x1200). I was having problems when I tried to add a 20” (1600x1200) or a 19” (1280x1024) as a second monitor using the displayport.

The trick: Lower the resolution of the primary monitor to a resolution that is compatible with the other monitor before attempting to add the second monitor. Catalyst seems to force a clone first, and automatically sets the resolution of the newly added monitor to the same resolution as the primary. The link error occurs if the newly added monitor is incompatible with that resolution.

Note1: The monitor on the displayport wasn’t even showing the post screens at boot up. Once I finally able to see it and configure in Catalyst, it began showing up at boot up.

Note2: I’m using XP. I’m not gaming or using Eyefinity.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 14:01 

any of you guys got it to work under the new 10.1 catalyst ?

mine does work perfect (the DP/VGA adaptor) but after installing the new drivers the displays went on black , got no image at all anymore , had to go back to old driver.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 15:44 

My monitor on the adapter went black at some point through the installation. It stayed that way till I restarted but came back with windows. Created my monitor group and I was back in business.

That was in Win 7 x64.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 17:00 

mine stayed black after restart .. i'm on win7 32bit

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 08:11 

I just got my Displayport to VGA adaper.

FAIL.......

x3 22" off the 5870. (2253bw-DVI)(226bw-VGA)(2253-bw-DVI)

1. Profiles don't save, so I have to reset all the display properties and start from scratch each time.
2. It requires unplugging the display port to get it to pick up again.
3. Black screen flicker.... once every 10 seconds.... to..... once every 3min..... There seems to be no pattern to it.

Dirt 2 chainging res to 3 screens = 3 black screens. (only tried once)
Fallout 3 = no 3 screen res.
Black shark = working but aspect all wrong.

I shouldn't have to go through hoops and buy extra bits to get a $600 card to work.
And the box should have had in huge writing.
Need Display port monitor which you can't buy to use 3 monitors !

I have always bought Nvidia but thought I would give ATI a try seeing as they were so far ahead........
Sorry.... The FPS are fine, but its eyefinity which made me willing to give ATI a shot....
And from where I am sitting I shoudn't have....

Now to re-enable my Nvida card and remove the VGA adapter before the black screen flicker drives me insane.......

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 16:34 
Insiders
Insiders

I just got my Displayport to VGA adaper.

FAIL.......

x3 22" off the 5870. (2253bw-DVI)(226bw-VGA)(2253-bw-DVI)

1. Profiles don't save, so I have to reset all the display properties and start from scratch each time.
2. It requires unplugging the display port to get it to pick up again.
3. Black screen flicker.... once every 10 seconds.... to..... once every 3min..... There seems to be no pattern to it.

Dirt 2 chainging res to 3 screens = 3 black screens. (only tried once)
Fallout 3 = no 3 screen res.
Black shark = working but aspect all wrong.

I shouldn't have to go through hoops and buy extra bits to get a $600 card to work.
And the box should have had in huge writing.
Need Display port monitor which you can't buy to use 3 monitors !

I have always bought Nvidia but thought I would give ATI a try seeing as they were so far ahead........
Sorry.... The FPS are fine, but its eyefinity which made me willing to give ATI a shot....
And from where I am sitting I shoudn't have....

Now to re-enable my Nvida card and remove the VGA adapter before the black screen flicker drives me insane.......

You can try flashing your card with bios that up the voltage on the DP port. It's a problem t hat was unforeseen. If you are having trouble getting the right res for your monitors, try using a EDID mask on the DP -> VGA monitor: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17635

You really cant expect smooth sailing with "new" technology. When it's a pain in the butt to just get proper widescreen on on a single monitor with alot of games, why would it be easier to get it with 3 monitors? I know that's not how it should be, but we live in reality.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 19:09 

I might give the BIOS flash ago.
Although the Adapter gets pretty warm as it is already.

Also when booting it shows the BIOS info on only 2 screens. (DVI)(VGA)(blank)

Thats fine but as soon as Windows kicks in the main screen goes blank. (DVI)(blank)(DVI)
Unplugging the adapter for a second is the only way to bring it back.
Screw that every start up.

You really cant expect smooth sailing with "new" technology.

I can and do.... Products shouldn't be released until they know it will be smooth sailing.
You can't tell me ATI didn't know how crap it was going to be for everyone when they released it.

I have no problem with it requiring a Displayport Monitor when no one has them.. (chicken & egg story)
But I bet 80% of people who bought it for Eyefinity when it came out got caught out by this.
A big bold sticker on the box saying Requires DisplayPort, would have cost sales.
But that would have been respectible.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 19:41 
Insiders
Insiders

You really cant expect smooth sailing with "new" technology.

I can and do.... Products shouldn't be released until they know it will be smooth sailing.
You can't tell me ATI didn't know how crap it was going to be for everyone when they released it.

I have no problem with it requiring a Displayport Monitor when no one has them.. (chicken & egg story)
But I bet 80% of people who bought it for Eyefinity when it came out got caught out by this.
A big bold sticker on the box saying Requires DisplayPort, would have cost sales.
But that would have been respectible.

True, btw, what card are you using? You don't have your system specs in your sig.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 31  Next