Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 04:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 12:04 

Understood. I would love to help, but I really need to have the screen in question physically in front of me to be able to run MonInfo.

Lets try something. Run MonInfo on your Alien .... then send me a screen capture of it via PM (make sure I can see all data, including the hex). Unfortunately there is no other way to get the info into Pheonix (i.e. no flat file exporter available in MonInfo, and the "Save Report" option is useless).

I'll knock up an .inf for ya', then you can test that it is running at 120hz and for that to be the only frequency available. If that works then your risk is mitigated!!

You're the man!

PM sent :D

I've placed an order on the 2 screens just now - if they work - great. I'll post all the info you give me/what I've done on here so anyone else who wants to grab 3 x Alienware screens can do it - I'll be sure to credit you on the various forums I'm on too

:cheers :cheers

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 06:46 

Nice work, I think there's still a barrier to Stereo 3d w/shutter glasses though in that the refresh rate needs to be synced between all 3 monitors and the shutter glasses and the drivers are very unlikely to be doing that without some support from ATI..

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 17:51 

Yeah, agreed, the mDP will still be the weak link .... have to wait and see.

PostPosted: 15 May 2010, 03:57 

Ok guys, some results as promised.

Hardware:

Powercolor 5970
Alienware AW2310 (X3)
Apple Mini Display Port to Dual Link DVI adapter
Badman's alienware .inf modified driver

Plugged it all in, I heard setting up the DP screen first is best, so I did that.
I then installed Badman's inf file, it detected as a Dell (with a model after it) not Alienware, so I knew it worked.
I then attached the second screen, followed the inf manual installation
I then attached the third screen, followed the inf manual installation

I moved a window around in a circle (you can feel if it's 100hz+ doing that, and it was smooth) I knew the driver had somewhat worked! I then created the 5760x1080 display, messed with Bezel Compensation, checked the resolutions again, checked the refresh rate and it's set at a maximum of 100hz.

This is above and beyond what I expected - it was a $1500+ leap to try 120hz and I have 100hz working for now.

I'm OVER THE MOON with this and cannot thank this forum enough and Badman especially.

I only messed with it for an hour last night, I tried:

Left 4 Dead 2 = looks great, feels SO smooth @ 100hz across the screen (100 - 150fps)
Team Fortress 2 = again, same as L4D2 (~100 - 150fps)
Bad Company 2 = looks great on other setups, on mine (60 - 100fps). It was VERY dark... and very stretched @ 75/85 FOV setting.

I'm downloading Dirt 2 through Steam (voucher with the 5970) and will test that out too.
I'm going to test Q3 as well.

100hz + EyeFinity so far has been pretty amazing for me :D

Cheers once again Badman!!

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 05:02 
Editors
Editors

Nice job Badman and anthony256! :cheers

PostPosted: 17 May 2010, 04:24 

I also tried Dirt 2 yesterday - ~100fps the entire time (medium/high detail) and it is just baby smooth.

100hz is amazing compared to 60hz.

I don't know why ATI aren't on this - it's because there aren't many 60hz+ screens out there.

I work in retail and I push 120hz screens for my gaming customers - every single person has loved it. They see a huge difference not just in games, but Windows. Movement on screen, mouse cursor, overall 'smoothness' of the GUI (especially win7).

If anyone here knows someone at ATI, or if someone at ATI reads this - the 120hz problem needs to be fixed. It's an entire sub section of customers you're throwing away because people don't understand high refresh rates.

Plus - you gain customers.

ATI: if you are like me, 3 x 120hz screens.
NVIDIA: you require them by default (120hz for 3d surround).

Now, people might not be impressed with NVIDIA's way of doing it - yet don't want to consider their purchase a waste, they could just go over to ATI and have the benefit of the 120hz already - instead of those screens being forced down to 60hz.

That's the way I sell my systems, would be good if ATI listened to that advice.

PostPosted: 18 May 2010, 15:12 

Hi folks,

I am confronted with this type of problem currently. I am trying to drive a Samsung 2233RZ from my Alienware M17X, via a Dell DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI active converter, and the laptop does not effectively drive the monitor, even in dual-monitor mode. This is with the cable that comes with the monitor, Dual-link DVI. I have the latest NVidia drivers (197.xx). I have tried in the past with HDMI to Dual-link DVI, and the Samsung monitor came up, but this set-up was not conducive to 120Hz or to stereo.

Is there a fundamental incompatibility between the 2233RZ and this type of converter-based approach?

Is there another driver out there that I could use?

I am not a gamer, but trying to develop a neurosurgery simulator with stereo viewing.

Best wishes,

Michel

PostPosted: 18 May 2010, 17:46 

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the 2233RZ 120hz .inf that I created.

PostPosted: 18 May 2010, 18:32 

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the 2233RZ 120hz .inf that I created.

Hi Badman,

just sent you a PM. I'd be very grateful if your inf file does the job.

I would like to get stereo vision (and eventually haptics) running on my laptop, so that I can get to work.

Cheers,

Michel

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 12:58 

Hello all.

I read through this thread after googling for which adapter to go with.
Went with the Apple mini DP to Dual link DVI.

I had a look through the posts, much in the style of the grateful silent majority hehe :]

Stumbled across something that may be of interest.
While selecting 5040x1050 rez at 120Hz doesnt work on my 2233RZ monitors (I get a single display at about 1024x768 or something) while in CCC, selecting it from Win7 64 via right-click on desktop and Screen Resolution.. works a charm. And in my iRacing simulator also. 120Hz all screens. Havent done a thing to modify any .inf stuff. :-D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next