Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 21:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: EyeFinity and Profiles
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 23:58 

Hi There!

I have tried to configure my new Eyefinity 5970 with 3 x 24" monitors to use profiles so I can easily switch between EF and Extended Desktop, but I can't seem to work
it out. I was wondering if someone could give me a step by step idiots guide I could use? I got into CCC and created a new Profile called Eyefinity, but I can't see where you group them, or set to extended? I want to setup Control Alt Shift 1 and Control Alt Shift 2 for EF/Extended.

Also in my head eyefinity was 3 independant 1900x1200 screens even though on paper I saw it configured as 5700x1200, which makes games like Dragons Age and MW2 seem massively squashed up and for the first time ever I actually get dizzy playing! I presume this is just the way it is, and you get use to it over time?

I had hoped that the middle screen would be like a normal sized 1900x1200 but you had left and right screens showing your peripheral.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 08:05 

No-one has a link to a tutorial or anything that could help?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 19:26 

Hello, I'm going to attempt to answer your question. Here goes.

Profiles are not currently working, as once set up, they do not properly switch between profiles. You can still set these profiles up with their hot keys.. switching from one extending profile to another extended profile does in fact work. ATI is aware of the issue and is working to solve it..

The easiest way to set up a profile, is to manually configure the way you want your screen to look first. After you have done that, go to your profiles at the top right on CCC. When you create the profile, make sure you include all the current setting.
Then change all your setting in CCC the way you would like your second profile, only after you have configured your display, then you can go back to the profile manager and save all current settings.

Like I said before tho, CCC profiles to not switch between Extended and Eyefinity yet. When I try, it will switch between extended modes with no problem, but will not jump back into eyefinity unless I go back into CCC and change it myself.

To answer your questions, Your screens are rendering the image correctly. Most of these games you play were not built with 3 screens in mind. The view will always be sort of "fish eye". There are only a hand full of games that display images across all the screen w/ out that effect, I would try some strategy games ;) The reason you see that images this way is because your game renders the main screen into the center and stretches out. It's a bit like tunnel vision, also the lack of Bezel management makes for some dizzy gameplay. If you want to understand what bezel management is, check out http://www.matrox.com/graphics/surroundgaming/en/product/bezel/. I'm sure when Eyefinity has some sort of bezel management, it won't make you so dizzy. "The normal human visual field extends to approximately 60 degrees nasally (toward the nose, or inward) in each eye, to 100 degrees temporally (away from the nose, or outwards)," The two sides screen aren't really there as monitors that you can use to look at and do things adequately. They are there to fill in the gaps left by dead space in your vision, full immersion rather.

Basically if our eye could see that field of view, our eyes would be sticking out of our head, and all black. and yes, it's like taking a crystal ball and looking threw it. Eventually you will get used to this effect and it will be less nauseous with bezel management. The games would have to be designed with 3 screens in mind to not have that effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_field

I tried to answer the question to the best of my knowledge.

-Tanshin

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 18:03 

Does this still not work, a year later?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011, 09:11 

Does this still not work, a year later?

On my setup they worked 10.3-10.6. 10.7 and on have been broken again. :evil:

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011, 12:45 

I got them working by uninstalling 10.12 and installing 10.11. The same profiles were still available in 10.11 that I had already created in 10.12, they just worked. In 10.12 only extended desktop profiles would work, nothing involving a group.

After I installed 10.11, I went back to CCC while in the extended desktop profile, clicked on enable group. Then after that I was able to use the hotkeys I had previously set up to switch between each profile flawlessly.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011, 19:12 

Profiles work fine for me in 10.12

I have these profiles created and hotkeyed

center monitor only

extended modes-
left+center
center+right
left+center+right

eyefinity
L+C+R grouped

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011, 20:01 

I may have had a bad install of 10.12 - I suspected as much when uninstalling and using the exact same profiles in 10.11 worked. I'm not planning on messing with it though because it is working :).

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2011, 07:46 

The latest drivers seem to call them "presets" but you can no longer independently control anything, which sucks. You need to apply all settings or none, it seems.

Also, it doesn't work right, at least with two portrait side monitors. I have one profile to disable them and another to enable them. The second profile completely screws up which monitor is where and makes them upside down.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 19:51 

The best answer is to sidestep AMD's predictably shit software (not that Nvidia even attempted to provide profiles like this, but I digress) and go straight to Matrox:

Download this program and hold onto it since God knows why Matrox even has it available for free (second link): http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/su...s=2&product=71

One of the utilities in there lets you carve out rectangles that windows will maximize to. So in the case of a spanned triple monitor, you carve it into thirds to make it act like each monitor is independent for 2D use. Nvidia lacks anything of the sort and AMD's Hydra Grid is a pale imitation.

Bottom line, you won't need to switch out of EF.