Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 14:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 48  Next
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 01:20 

I dont know how it was different for me, but the Accell did work for me where the Bizlink didn't. Since noone seems to know/agree on what exactly the problem is, I say give the Accell a try as you can always return it if it doesnt work. Mine has been working two days so far without a problem. The Bizlink flickered after every 10 mintues or so and more the longer the machine was on.

I don't know , I would like to find more confirmed working before I commit to another $100

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 01:23 

I think Kondor has one ordered, and he has a vast supply of various monitors to try it with. he should be able to give some more feedback on that. Trust me, I wasn't expecting it to work. I was all ready to buy a Dell DP monitor, and I just decided to be patient and wait for it to get here first and give it a shot. So far so good and even at $100 is still cheaper than a new DP Dell monitor.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 01:24 

Agreed

[quote]I dont know how it was different for me, but the Accell did work for me where the Bizlink didn't. Since noone seems to know/agree on what exactly the problem is, I say give the Accell a try as you can always return it if it doesnt work. Mine has been working two days so far without a problem. The Bizlink flickered after every 10 mintues or so and more the longer the machine was on.

I don't know , I would like to find more confirmed working before I commit to another $100

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 01:26 

ATI, overall, feels relatively amateurish. Whether it's banning users from its forums for even the smallest dissent, or releasing hardware without adequate testing and/or drivers - their performance is just really uneven. The hardware itself has great potential. But that's all it has in many cases.

ATI just did not sweat the details on this one. And, reading between the lines, it seems like Eyefinity was tacked on at some point and is being managed by a small, probably underfunded/overworked team. Meanwhile, Nvidia comes out with great new drivers (remember I still have a GTX280/Core2 system as a HTPC) about 3 times as often as ATI. I can't point to a *single* game that runs significantly worse on Nvidia hardware, whereas there are plenty of games with serious problems on ATI hardware: Batman AA, Need for Speed Shift, and Dawn of War II among them. And those aren't small titles. Those are big-name, popular games. Even CODMW2 runs noticeably better on my GTX280 than on my dual 5870's.

Getting back to Eyefinity, it seems like they tested it with one or two different monitors and called it a day. And I'd be very surprised if they ever fix this problem. They just don't have the resources or the interest. Easier just to come out with another whiz-bang piece of hardware that the reviewers will all go crazy for (in order to get review samples, no doubt) - and hope they can keep capturing first-adopters.

I'll keep playing with my 5870's, and I'll do Eyefinity. But, when Fermi arrives, I suspect that I and a lot of other people will jump ship. Having become accustomed to the level of software/hardware compatibility provided by Nvidia, it's hard to adjust to the prospect of being an unpaid beta tester for ATI's QA department.

Well said and I think I will be doing the same if the new Nvidia supports some type of Eyefinity. Thats the only reason I went with this card. This ATI stuff is non sense doesn't seem like anything works how it should or how it was planned to work. All the time that I have been using Nvidia I have never had any problems getting anything to work that was supposed to work. This is just ridiculous.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 01:33 
Editors
Editors

Whilst I understand everyone's obvious frustration for those experiencing problems, try and keep comments constructive. The forum's here to help with problems, and we invariably come up with solutions for most issues - it's what we do! - however persistent complaining doesn't help push things forward.

We have ATI guys visiting the forum who do a great job in their own time answering as many questions as they can. Absolutely let your voice be heard, but keep it specific and helpful - in the end it will benefit us all! Persistently attacking ATI and repeat posting of the same point is unnecessary. The more constructive the posts the sooner everyone can get some answers. :onethumb

Thanks

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 01:36 

Has anyone tried taking out other USB devices and swapping around the USB port they are using the active adapter on?

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 01:39 

I to have been a Nvidia user. and still use the 285 in my other rig. but when this card came out and I decided to give it a go.
I mean I'm still going to try and work this out. but man. it sure has left a sour taste in my mouth.

My ticket to Sapphire was responded to and after a couple of back and forth emails . I get this

"We will look into it, i am sending this information to our Engineers, i will let you know whats going on once i get a feed back."

Good at least I feel that it is getting the attention it deserves

I'm done for now

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 01:42 

Whilst I understand everyone's obvious frustration for those experiencing problems, try and keep comments constructive. The forum's here to help with problems, and we invariably come up with solutions for most issues - it's what we do! - however persistent complaining doesn't help push things forward.

We have ATI guys visiting the forum who do a great job in their own time answering as many questions as they can. Absolutely let your voice be heard, but keep it specific and helpful - in the end it will benefit us all! Persistently attacking ATI and repeat posting of the same point is unnecessary. The more constructive the posts the sooner everyone can get some answers. :onethumb

Thanks

Ok done ranting

As far as trying other ports I have to a small extent using open ports. I guess i could try some of the other that are occupied and do some switching around

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 01:50 

Thanks

Agreed in principle. This isn't about bashing ATI.

ATI can fix this or not, but I'm not being paid by them to help fix their issues, and I don't feel like I owe them anything more than civility at this point.

If their reps really do visit here, all I can say it that the ball is in their court. There's a wealth of information in this thread, but I shouldn't have to be hooking up random monitors to figure out what works and then reporting it here. That was their job.

I'll give them a while to figure things out, and if nothing happens, I'll simply put the 5870's on eBay and move on. Gaming on a 60" SXRD is quite competitive with Eyefinity.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 01:51 

Has anyone tried taking out other USB devices and swapping around the USB port they are using the active adapter on?

Yes. I've tried every port on my computer, an active USB hub, the USB adapter for my iphone, and even my laptop's and HTPC's usb ports.

Not the issue apparently.

The take-home at this point seems to be that certain monitors work and others don't. Whether the fault lies with the card, the monitor or the adapter - or some permutation of all three - remains unknown.

My plan is to simply slavishly copy the known working setups you can see in ATI's own demo videos. They seem to be using the Dell u2410 for 24" setups, and so that's my plan as well.

After this is over, I'll have a total of - let's see here - 11 monitors in this house! Nuts!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 48  Next