Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 07:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eyefinity rocks
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 09:57 

Hi Dave and Sunsp*t,
I am having one problem and I wanted your input. My centre monitor is on the Bizlink adapter, and from time to time it starts blinking ... interspersed with artifacts, patterns, and a lot of other loss of signal stuff.

My question to you, engineer to engineer, could this be a bad displayport? I realize it could just be a bad adapter, but Dell, where I got the Bizlink adapter, is horrible to deal with.

Thanks,
trueman832, Toronto

True,

I wish I could give you an answer, but the fact is that I don't know enough about potential problems to say anything useful. I would go to the lab and ask, but I am going to be OOO for the next two weeks for medical reasons.

From the symptoms, it could be anything from the graphics card to the adapter, to the cables, to the monitor. Have you tried moving the monitor to other outputs (not in EF modes) to see how it works? and checked the cable between the adapter and monitor on another monitor? Have you tried using freeze-spray on the card when the display is acting up? I can't offer you much more help than saying you should try to isolate or identify the component that is causing the problem. That will be somewhat difficult for the BizRate adapter (no solution springs to mind).

SunSp*t

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 10:34 

I don't thnk there is a large enough market for them to do that, or it would have been done in the first place. I think EyeFinity occured because they were looking at new ways to use that third active port DP allowed, not to accomodate people who already had 3 DVI displays. It came about with different reasoning than how most of us arrived at triple-head. This is also why there is a bit of friction here, because both this community and EyeFinity do triple-head, but came about in different ways. For 99% of the population, our concerns are largely irrelevant to the 5000-series line. We do bring some new perspective to the table that AMD is listening though with at least 2 people here. Many things we are seasoned veterans at AMD is only now just having to troubleshoot. That is why I'm glad they are here listening. I would hope our perspective is useful in prioritizing EyeFinity feature implementation.

Very perceptive and nearly 100% correct.

It isn't as if we completely dissed those who happen to own three DIV monitors. We did try (and are still trying) to make the 3rd DVI less painful. But we also realized that the market of folks who don't have three monitors is (almost infinitely) larger than those who do. For those folks, the purchase of a third or even a second and third monitor carried no legacy considerations. We also very carefully and thoroughly examined the economics and usage cases. Going down the path of more than two DVI's with native support was too expensive throughout the ecosystem than going down the path of favoring DP (not to mention DVI has resolutions limits that I would not accept).

If native support for more than two DVIs had been a requirement, I can tell you authoritatively EF would never have happened. What a lost oportunity that would have been!

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 16:35 

i've been using 3 screens for office use mainly, 2 via dvi with a 2600xt and 1 via dvi with surroundview (xpress 1250). now after updating to Windows 7 x64 with the latest drivers, surroundview stopped working (I can only use 2 screens now), so I wanted to buy myself a HD 5770, but unluckily, it seems that a clockgen is missing (for 3xdvi). So my question is wether the new HD 5770 works with Surroundview? So ppl like me don't need to buy an active adapter because they already have a "spare one" on their board which worked perfectly in Vista?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 17:45 

If native support for more than two DVIs had been a requirement, I can tell you authoritatively EF would never have happened. What a lost oportunity that would have been!

Okay, I give. I called Dell and ordered the adapter. We do appreciate the work involved in getting the 3-screen audience taken care of during development.

Are there any cost effective LCD solutions out there that are larger than 24" that have the DP ports natively?

Sunspot, Dave, thanks for your in-depth info here in the forum. It's been very helpful in making purchasing decisions, and hopefully as this works itself out over the coming months, I can successfully sell my customers on these hardware solutions.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 19:01 

There's a thread tracking DP panels here:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16909

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 19:19 

well... in fact you just said in extreme details my thoughts on the subject when I wrote my first post, I'm actually scratching my head right now wondering why the discussion went that route :lol:
just one clarification though, I don't want/desire/wish 3xDVI because by the time I have enough desk space & budget to buy 3 screens, DP equipped screens will probably occupy a good percent of the screens market ...
not even considering the fact that I'm not ready to triple my screen power consumption...

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 20:35 

You've made it clear that 3xDVI support on a single GPU isn't going to happen for cost reasons related to the additional hardware needed; but that's not the only way to get 3+ DVI clocks in a single system. Could EF support 3+x DVI when combined with crossfire, or is there a requirement that all the outputs be driven by the same GPU?

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 20:41 
Insiders
Insiders

You've made it clear that 3xDVI support on a single GPU isn't going to happen for cost reasons related to the additional hardware needed; but that's not the only way to get 3+ DVI clocks in a single system. Could EF support 3+x DVI when combined with crossfire, or is there a requirement that all the outputs be driven by the same GPU?
There is a quote from Dave B, but basically (I don't understand the tech) yes.... only the output from one card will be used in CF.

Bummer after the X-Plane demo I was hoping to run 3 5870s, in non CF, on my non-CF mobo. One for each screen :(

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 21:20 

Of course it depends on the scenario, but in one particular simulation, Eyefinity has basically maxed out the capabilities of the remaining hardware. Even the 5850 cards in 3screen are seeing slowdowns due to CPU's that are only capable of 3 to 4 ghz. Depends on the game I suppose.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 03:01 

previous page search for "Dave Baumann" ... :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72  Next