Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 00:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ATI Cursor Bug
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 02:55 

At random times my mouse cursor turns into a small vertical line about 1/2 inch in length or the arrow is split into thirds. The only thing that will work to get it back to normal would be a re boot.

It happens random. but has become more frequent lately. it does it most when playing a game but also happens from just simply reading my email.

I did a Google search and it seams that people have been reporting this same issue over at the ATI Game forums all the way back from November. this issue for me didn't start until the 10.2 drivers Back in March . I currently have 10.3 I have also seen in other various places where people are reporting this anomaly. and can provide links if needed.

The problem is that from what I can see in the release notes they provide a feedback link but it clearly states that is not for the intention of getting any support. and it really isn't a typical bug reporting program as I have see elsewhere.

I'm not whining here. but I would really like to know if there is an actual place where I can report a bug. I mean... It is, what It is. I've already Invested a lot of money into my set up already and it's not like I'm going to rush out and get something else. I Just want to know if there is a Place I can report this so I can at least know that it is being addressed.

The ATI forums are of no help whatsoever.

The only thing that I haven't done yet is install the 10.4a drivers. but I usually wont install pre release drivers. Just from my past experiences.

I'm kind of hoping Dave might chime in here. but I certainly understand if he doesn't.
Or maybe someone here is having the same Issue.

I haven't contacted Sapphire about it. because it doesn't appear to be Isolated to just one ATI partner. and most of there responses to me before have been just the generic
(update your driver) or they just flat out wont respond.

Link to forums
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=122476&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Video

Post subject: Re: ATI Cursor Bug
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 16:27 
Editors
Editors

OP originally posted this in the open ticket section.
This can really be annoying in gaming. I wonder if anyone else gets this bug?
Stickied it for a week and added a poll.

Here is a tool to report the bug in to the driver team:
http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 01:10 
Insiders
Insiders

I get it much less often than when i fisr ran EF back with the 9.12 drivers, but it still happens, and only occurs on my left screen, no matter if its' the primary or not. It's so infrequent now that I don;t really mind it. The clicky point is still there, and it still works.

Though mine looks a bit different; when it happens, it keeps the top 1/6th or so and stacks 8 of those 1/6ths in a column. over full-screen video it turns into a wonky square.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 03:09 

I know there was some changes in the driver to help out with this but I don't know which branch they have made it in. Try turning on mouse trails (and limiting their size if they annoy you) to see if it resolves the issue if you are still getting it on the driver release you're using.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 07:19 

I know there was some changes in the driver to help out with this but I don't know which branch they have made it in. Try turning on mouse trails (and limiting their size if they annoy you) to see if it resolves the issue if you are still getting it on the driver release you're using.

Thanks for the response Dave. I did enable the trails, and set it to minimum and I haven't had it happen yet , although I'm not to hip on the trails even at minimum, But it sure beats the alternative. I just got done with a 2 hour gaming session and it hasn't happened. Thanks again

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 12:04 

I got it once on the 10.3 driver

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 14:00 

Terry tells me the fix should have gone into Cat 10.4, so I'd give those a whirl.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 14:24 
Insiders
Insiders

Installed 10.4 and as soon as i switched to an Eyefinity group, the left-screen cursor went wonky. as always. The click point is still a point at top-left, as always, so it's a minor bug. And in-game cursors are fine. Besides, i rarely do anything but run games when i use EF, and it never happens in Extended or single modes, so i can live with it.

I see absolutely no difference with 10.4. Actually, my saved profiles seem to load a little faster. But still, the Exrteneded Mode alignment was wrong, but fixed if the profiles' loaded again. Maybe I should've gone on about this in the 10.4 thread, hm?

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 16:22 

Sometimes the mouse cursor will get garbled only on the center display. Hasn't happened for a few months but as soon as I started to install the various iterations of the 10.4 preview drivers it started happening again, randomly, and fixes itself, randomly.

As well 10.4's sort of fixed my blinking DP-DVI connected display, in that it still blinks but never turns completely off now, so there is indeed progress.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 18:22 

Just curious - are you up-to-date with your system BIOS?