Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 08:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 00:40 

I have been looking for anyone at all who is trying to run Eyefinity on 120hz LCDs but after months I have not seen one. I am using the DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter (powered) but recently found out that it does not support 120hz only 60hz. So this leaves me in a pickle. I have yet to find any DP to DVI adapters that specifically say they support 120hz. I looked into the DisplayPort specification and learned that 120hz mode is supported in version 1.2 but I need to confirm if my ATI 5870 is using DisplayPort 1.1, if it can be upgraded to 1.2 via bios update or if this is completely a hardware issue and it will never support running 120hz over DisplayPort (and consequently Eyefinity).

If the 5870 will never support it, will the 5970 or new released 2gb 5870 come with the DisplayPort 1.2 spec, If I could know some information I could plan to sell this card and buy a new one to work with my 120hz monitors.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 01:24 

The bandwidth for displayport 1.1 is 8.64 Gbit/s which is more than the 7.92 Gbit/s for dual link DVI. So the limitation for eyefinity would be DVI before it is displayport.

The maximum resolution at 120Hz on dual link DVI is 1920 x 1200. The lack of options for different refresh rates seems to be an eyefinity restriction rather than a connection problem. I also was stuck at 60Hz until I used a modified EDID to force 76Hz.