Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 15:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 22:29 

I have my Eyefinity 6 setup in a 3x2 matrix, native resolution. Desktop is visible on all monitors. I'm running FSX on the monitors. Question: Current physical configuration -I have 5 of the monitors in a straight line with an additional monitor just below the middle monitor in the row. My purpose was to display the scenery outside the cockpit while displaying the instruments in the lower monitor (undocked window dragged to this lower monitor. NOTE: All the monitors are Asus 27" digital monitors connected to graphics card using display port connectivity.

Does anyone have a solution for this requirement?

Thanks so much.

Frank

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 11:28 
Administrators
Administrators

Having talked to a friend on the phone yesterday whom is setting up a similar system for a spitfire, I understand that it is possible to write a script for FSX to align all the windows where you need them, however my friend said he had to do some revising to work it out again.

So I know it would be possible just not sure how.
I believe the guys over at SimHQ Forums would likely know.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 19:08 
Founder
Founder

You may have better luck with this if you did a 5x1-Landscape Eyefinity, and then had the additional monitor as an extended display. That would give you two "monitor surfaces" to use - the 5x1-L SLS and the Extended monitor. You could then arrange them one over the other in the CCC or Windows display properties. You might even be able to natively configure this in FSX with it's dual monitor support.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 18:51 
Editors
Editors

Quote:

Physical configuration ? You mean a Monitor stand? or Graphicscard that can handle 6 Monitors ?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 16:22 

ok, native will look like this 3x2
my old rig

for your Flight Sim setup, or StarCitizen setup for that matter
You want a 5:1 configuration
so you have 5 monitor Desktop 1
and 1 monitor on Desktop 2

in the Catalyst Control Panel Eyefinity Setup Wizard, select the 5:1 option, and leave 1 monitor out

Troubleshooting steps:
if you get trouble with it not letting you only select 5 monitor, and forces to take all 6
then unplug 1 monitor, the one that is going to be the Desktop 2 monitor

then after you complete the 5:1 monitor setup, plug back the 6th monitor for Desktop 2

another easy alternative is to plug the 6th monitor for Desktop 2 on the 2nd Video card, assuming you are using Crossfire or Trifire setup, or perhaps even Quadfire setup :rockout:

fbass wrote:
I have my Eyefinity 6 setup in a 3x2 matrix, native resolution. Desktop is visible on all monitors. I'm running FSX on the monitors. Question: Current physical configuration -I have 5 of the monitors in a straight line with an additional monitor just below the middle monitor in the row. My purpose was to display the scenery outside the cockpit while displaying the instruments in the lower monitor (undocked window dragged to this lower monitor. NOTE: All the monitors are Asus 27" digital monitors connected to graphics card using display port connectivity.

Thanks so much.

Frank

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(2x), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(2x), Seagate 3TB(6x), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

PostPosted: 05 May 2013, 09:33 

:welcome Hi AllGamer,
Very impressive rig you have there! I can judge that because I have a 3:1 set.
The crux with all the setups that span the desktop over n monitors is that all monitors have to,be connected to the same graphics card. Concur?

My question: what are your framerates like with FSX?
I hear of phantastic fps from many gamers but they are all running a one-monitor setup! That's no problem. As soon as you span the desktop over 2 and more LCSs the fps seem to go down to around single digit values. Do you experience that, too? If not, I should very much like to see how you did it!
Tx!
Volker
I5-2500K, 2XRadeon 5970, 16GB RAM, SSDs for Os and FSX.
Fps at Andras Field: 5-7