Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Aug 2024, 18:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2012, 23:50 
Editors
Editors

nah, i did not ^^ But nice to see that he came to the same conclusion as me. means i'm not completly wrong 8)

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 11:42 

For those of you who want to dabble with frame times, there's a great program I bumped into that does nearly everything for you. Fraps Calc. Place it in a directory with a Fraps frame time .csv file and start it. What you get is something like this:

There's a config file for it too, unfortunately I haven't found any readme's and can't read any Russian so don't know the story behind this great piece of software. At least it's fairly self explanatory so you can just try different settings and see what effect they have.

Personally I ditched my 6950CF for a single 7970 so no micro stutter problems for me. I'd still like to see if 7970 CF does have these issues, so if anyone is willing to do some 7970 CF Eyefinity tests and post them here I'd certainly be interested to see them.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 15:29 
Insiders
Insiders

For those of you who want to dabble with frame times, there's a great program I bumped into that does nearly everything for you. Fraps Calc.

Awesome going to try this program out.

Personally I ditched my 6950CF for a single 7970 so no micro stutter problems for me. I'd still like to see if 7970 CF does have these issues, so if anyone is willing to do some 7970 CF Eyefinity tests and post them here I'd certainly be interested to see them.

Haldi already made some graphs of his 7970 cf setup and the ms seemed a little more pronounced than 6970 cf. Maybe it will get better when new drivers are released, but I don't think it will be gone completely. I will be buying a 7970 and selling my 6950 cf as well.

Philips BDM4065UC(3840x2160) Acer Z35(2560x1080@200hz); 980 Ti Hybrid @stock ; 6700K 4.6ghz (1.35v)/D15; 16GB 3200mhz; Asus Maximus Ranger VIII; AX860; 1TB 960 EVO; 750GB 840 EVO; Teufel Concept D 500; Sennheiser HD6XX; Windows 10 (latest build)

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 23:58 
Editors
Editors

There you go ! a Whole lot of unsorted Statistics about HD7970 Crossfire ;) Though one card is running PCI-E 3.0 8x ! and driver are 8.920.0

Attached files CF PCI-E 8x.7z (4.5 MB)

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012, 17:08 

There you go ! a Whole lot of unsorted Statistics about HD7970 Crossfire ;) Though one card is running PCI-E 3.0 8x ! and driver are 8.920.0

Thanks. Looks like no improvement whatsoever, how unsurprising. :nudgenudge

Personally I got the best gameplay out of my 6950CF using a framerate cap that would force the frame rendering to be more even, but the problem with that was that I had to set it to minimum FPS, which kinda meant that the difference between single GPU and CF capped was just not worth it.

I wonder what's the state of that smart vsync mentioned in the techreport article
"impact of vsync on jitter is tough to predict; it adds another layer of timing complexity on top of several other such layers. More intriguing is another possibility Nalasco mentioned: a "smarter" version of vsync that presumably controls frame flips with an eye toward ensuring a user perception of fluid motion. We think that approach has potential, but Nalasco was talking only of a future prospect, not a currently implemented technology. He admitted AMD can't say it has "a water-tight solution yet."

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to code something like that to the CCC but it would certainly beat a static FPS cap. Currently vsync just doesn't cut it.

Post subject: Bias is the reason...
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 20:01 

well. I cant argue that an i7 outperforms most games when it comes to FPS and when USING NVIDIA cards. did anyone ever notice that ALL the tests that show sandybridge running more frames than AMD all use nvidia GPUS????

Truth is. a) i dont care about hitting 150 fps. I want 60 fps on vsync so that my video is smooth ... like watching HD tv. 2) why dont they do some tests with a AMD system and AMD cards running the same benchmarks??

In answer to your question number 2, I've noticed time after time on sites like Tom's Hardware that they SPECIFICALLY, and EXPRESSLY DON'T use ATI/AMD combinations SPECIFICALLY and EXPRESSLY because that is what AMD recommends. So they intentionally don't do what AMD recommends, under the guise of being "objective" and not biased by doing what AMD recommends and claiming that doing what AMD recommends skews there review as being, supposedly, an AMD spokesperson instead of being "independent", and on and on.... That is why.

But they NEVER state what Intel or Nvidia recommends in their review and NEVER specifically state that they are not going to do what Intel or Nvidia recommends. It's ridiculous and you are a victim of that bias having wasted all that money on an i7 system.

But I'm glad you posted this because I came across your account of this experience trying to decide if I should go Crossfire, or one powerful GPU card and was afraid if I went Crossfire, I would not enjoy the results. Now I know, thanks to your post.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 21:07 

Hey guys,

First post, signed up to get in on the action! ;)

I also have the Asrock Extreme 7 Gen 3 board with an I52500k. I have 3 6950's unlocked to 6970's and I can't get one game to run right it seems.

I'm not sure what the best plan of attack would be... Ditch the motherboard or switch to NVidia. Perhaps the new 7xxx series would help. I'm confused on what route to take, but this is all B.S. I spent so much $$ to get a bitchin system and the thing performs like shit.

Any advice?

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2012, 03:19 
Editors
Editors

jep. Install MSI Afterburner. Open RSST (MSI Afterburner symbol with this 60, in tray)
Click on "Settings" and set "Framerate Limit" to something that is between your Min FPS and Avg FPS (near min FPS might be better)

Let's see if that helps!

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2012, 19:21 
Editors
Editors

News News ! Seems like i have to Redo my statistics with new Drivers :D

Source: http://techreport.com/articles.x/23217/8

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2012, 23:01 
Insiders
Insiders

News News ! Seems like i have to Redo my statistics with new Drivers :D

I am looking forward to your results, but I am sure you realize that the reviewer only used a single card for eyefinity/surround gaming and not two in crossfire/sli.

Philips BDM4065UC(3840x2160) Acer Z35(2560x1080@200hz); 980 Ti Hybrid @stock ; 6700K 4.6ghz (1.35v)/D15; 16GB 3200mhz; Asus Maximus Ranger VIII; AX860; 1TB 960 EVO; 750GB 840 EVO; Teufel Concept D 500; Sennheiser HD6XX; Windows 10 (latest build)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next