Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 22:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ati 6990 and cables?
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 23:45 

Hey guys,my mate has a Ati 6990 but he got no cables with it,he has 3 Monitors with Display port/Hdmi/Dvi......He has connected 1 monitor with DVI---->DVI

How do i connect the other 2 monitors that would work?

Is it? MiniDP to HDMI
MiniDP to DVI
MiniDP to Display port cable

Thanks In advance

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 00:12 
Insiders
Insiders

He can sue any combination, so long as he uses at least one mini-DP connection of his card. So he can use a mini-DP to DP (DisplayPort) for one display, and any connection for the third.

I'm not too sure if there's any benefit over 3x mini-DP to DP compared to 1x mini-DP and 2x DVI (which i use, since only my centre display has Displayport.))

Monoprice.com is a pretty good place for these cables. ..in North America.

Post subject: Hi,So can He have 1.Dvi
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 01:05 

Hi,So can He have

1.Dvi slot to Dvi(monitor)
2.Minidp to Dvi(monitor)
3.minidp to Display port cable(monitor)

All 3 of his monitors have display port connectivity

Does any of the cables above HAVE to be ACTIVE?And what DVi cables have to be male/female(does it matter?)

My setup is (6970) but i have DVI to DVI,DVI to DVI,Active Minidp to DVI,so its kinda easy for me as i have 2 dvi slots in ati 6970 card.

again thanks for feedback,he bought a £2000 pc and 3 monitors today but wasnt given any mini dp cables with it(shocking)So we are looking into connecting it all up as fast as possible now

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 04:19 
Insiders
Insiders

Yes, that coniguration will work.

You only NEED active adapters for mini-DP to DVI/VGA/HDMI. I use a plain, noni-active mini-DO tp DP on my setup and I've had zero issues.

Are all 3 monitors teh same model, or resolution? Apparently the latest 11.11 CCC driver allows for mixing monitor resolutions, but I ahve yet to read of anyone actually doing it successfully.

Be sure to point him to our Master Games List and these forus for more multi-monitor goodness.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 22:13 

I am having a a bit of an issue connected to this..

My 6990 has 4xMiniDP and one Dual Link DVI port.

I'm trying to connect 3x Dell U2711's they all have HDMI, DP, and Dual DVI. With each one running at 2560x1440 combined res of 8XXXx1440

Through much trial and error I managed to get it working by connecting:

DualDvi (Monitor) -> DualDVI (Card)
DP (Monitor) -> MiniDP non-active (Card)
Dual Dvi (Monitor) -> MiniDP active (Card)

Any combination other than that put the 3rd monitor at 640x480. This set up was a bit buggy with eyefinity needing to be reset from time to time.

Recently I rejigged things in my rig to put an SSD in and get rid of a raid, so nothing at all to do with graphics, reinstalled windows and now the old set up won't work.

This seems to be because the Active MiniDP USB port doesn't boot until after windows thinks its a non-active link and puts it to 640x480, unplugging the usb and reconnecting does work, restores it to full res, but it loses all its eyefinity settings and switch the primary window to the wrong screen in extended mode, even though in CCC it still thinks everything is right, and fiddling with that doesn't help.

I don't spose any light could be shed on why this might be happening? Or a better way to connect these 3 screens?

I have tried 3x DP->MiniDP cables, but without a dualdvi things don't work.

2 monitors works fine, but eyefinity obviously isn't an option them.

Any advice/help is appreciated.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 02:09 
Founder
Founder

I'm surprised that 3x Mini-DP > DP didn't work. I thought those had DL bandwidth... What driver are you using?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 04:22 

Drivers are catalyst 11.12

2 Monitors works with just dualDVI and DP->MiniDP, but not DP->MiniDP x2

As soon as you put the 3rd on there are these weird issues.

The adapters that came with the card were all single DVI or equivalent which can't do res over 1920x1200

EDIT/Resolution:

When you asked about drivers it dawned on me that all the initial dramas I had with cables and active/passive MiniDP were when the card was first release IE 10 driver revisions ago.

So I thought I would just swap the active Dual DVI->MiniDP out for DP -> MiniDP and it works perfectly.

Just another chapter in the madness of this card, but I'm going to put it down to the initial problem being a driver bug that was resolved somewhere along the line.

Thank you for your help, if you hadn't asked about drivers I never would've thought to go back to an MiniDP x2 + 1x DualDVI!