Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 09:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 09:33 

OK an update to this thread using CCC 10.10 and 10.10a application profiles.
I'm currently running Windows 7 64bit home premium with eyefinity at 6144 x 1080 across 3 screens with bezel management.
With 2x 5970's (4gb total) - full details of my complete system spec can be found in my signature.

1st test - Running 1 screen with crossfireX enabled 1920 x 1080.
FRAPS showing in-menu FPS as high as 600!
In game smooth as silk highest detail settings, 8xMSAA, V-sync on - however i didn't have MSi Afterburner running on this test.

2nd test - Running 3 screens in eyefinity
Detail settings could only be run in high with a maximum of 2x MSAA and V-sync on.
CrossfireX (Quadfire) enabled...
FRAPS showing 120FPS in-menu's
In game FRAPS would show up to 60 - 65 FPS, but there was a horrible amount of micro-stutter which made it pretty much unplayable.
MSi Afterburner graph of GPU usage below:

Note: 2 GPU's being used nearly at maximum and the other GPU's hardly being used at all.

3nd test - Running 3 screens in eyefinity, with Catalyst AI off
Detail settings could only be run in high with a maximum of 2x MSAA and V-sync on.
Catalyst ai disabled FRAPS showing 60FPS in-menu's
In game FRAPS would show up to 36 FPS, but the game was absolutely smooth as silk... No stutter at all.
MSi Afterburner graph of GPU usage below:

Note: only 1 GPU being used, but runs great, however detail isn't as high as i would like

What is the point in ATi offering the ability to crossfire 2x 5970's if it does fu*& all and is better running on a single GPU????

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 12:54 
Editors
Editors

It isn't AMD per se, but F1 2010 being poorly optimised for multi-gpu. I have the same problem with nVidia cards - the same intermittent GPU usage.

A trick that worked for me was when the FPS was poor or stuttering, tab out and back into the game. Usually this doubled the FPS and smoothed it out. However, I gave up and have just been playing with 1 GPU and 1 screen as it was also crashing in surround. Cross your fingers for a patch. Cross them hard.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 13:39 

A trick that worked for me was when the FPS was poor or stuttering, tab out and back into the game. Usually this doubled the FPS and smoothed it out. However, I gave up and have just been playing with 1 GPU and 1 screen as it was also crashing in surround. Cross your fingers for a patch. Cross them hard.

Tried this it doesn't work.

I'll be running some more tests tonight / tomorrow with a single card, and the same tests in Dirt 2.
I will also be running 3DMark06 tests and will post all of my findings.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 13:40 
Editors
Editors

Will be interesting to see.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 16:06 
Editors
Editors

Patch very imminent.

"Codemasters Forum" wrote:

There have also been several PC specific improvements as well:-

1. PC 'replay saving' and playback – You will be able to save out the files to replay them later or share them with others.

2. DX11 – The F1 2010 patch will enable the game to run on DX11. All of the graphical improvements are configurable from graphical options when in DX11. Specifically, "ultra" settings for 'shadows' and 'postprocess'. (These options require a lot of processing power, and are only recommended for high-end graphics cards.

3. Eyefinity Support – F1 2010 now supports 3 x 1 or 3 x 2 monitor display setups (minimum requirement of 3 x monitors)

4. Optimisations – We have made better use of multi-core processors in general, which will lead to better framerates on higher end machines.

5. Additional Support - Support for SandyBridge processors, which also adds support for currently available 'modern' processors, like Core i7, which wasn't correctly detected previously.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 19:16 

Huh? Patch to support DX11?? I thought F1 was using the Dirt2 engine? And Dirt2 supports Eyefinity already!

Dirt2 runs like a rabbit on my Quad 5970 setup.. I had to install 8G's of memory though.. Seems like the 1G per core on the VGA cards completely floods the Ram of the CPU.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 19:21 
Editors
Editors

DiRT2 uses the same engine as GRID, too - but DiRT2 works fine on nVidia Surround and GRID doesn't. *shrug*

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 19:33 
Editors
Editors

10.10c brings improvements in this game:
AMD Catalyst 10.10c Hotfix Features:
OpenGL 4.1 beta support
Support for the new Morphological Anti-Aliasing feature
Dead Rising 2 – Crossfire profile (Resolves negative scaling)
Crossfire Performance Improvement for:
Metro 2033
F1 2011 - (Direct X9 version)
Fallout New Vegas
Performance optimizations for systems with an AMD Radeon™ HD 6870 and AMD Radeon HD 6850 series of graphics products installed
Aliens versus Predator performance enhancements
Star Craft 2 performance enhancements
OpenGL performance enhancements – gains can be seen in Prey, Quake Wars: Enemy Territories, and Heaven v2
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU86AMDCat1010cHotfix.aspx

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 15:54 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm posting this in this thread since it seems most relevant to it.

F1 2010 Upcoming Patch Notes

Two notable changes:
DX11 – The F1 2010 patch will enable the game to run on DX11. All of the graphical improvements are configurable from graphical options when in DX11. Specifically, "ultra" settings for 'shadows' and 'postprocess'. (These options require a lot of processing power, and are only recommended for high-end graphics cards.

Eyefinity Support – F1 2010 now supports 3 x 1 or 3 x 2 monitor display setups (minimum requirement of 3 x monitors)

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 17:16 
Editors
Editors

I'm posting this in this thread since it seems most relevant to it.

I've merged the 2 threads - I didn't realise the one you posted in was there.

Because of the merger, posts may seem out of order or weird, however I think the two threads match up pretty well :onethumb