Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 14:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 5770 crossfire question
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 06:14 
Insiders
Insiders

So I used to have crossfire 5770's, but that was when I only had 1 1080p monitor. At the moment, I only have a single 5770. Soon I will be running a 5760 x 1080 setup and I wanted to hear from anyone who has tried crossfire 5770's on a setup like this. I'm not lookin to play metro on max settings, but I do ALOT of gaming so I do need a decent amount of power. Please do not recommend 5850's or 5870's. I already know they would suffice.

Id like to hear what framerates @ 5760 x 1080 with crossfire 5770's would be.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 16:55 

I'd say that 5770 CF equals 5850/5870 and should be run most games quite nicely.

This is with single 5770 (Overclocked):

Source: http://murobbs.plaza.fi/testitulokset/677713-5770-vs-5870-eyefinity.html#post1704917671

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 22:59 
Insiders
Insiders

Awesome reply. So I guess the next question is will there be that stuttering problem that everyone keeps talking about when using crossfinity.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 00:19 

I read 5770CF is actually perform better than 5870 (~5%?)

Anyway, the data looks like if you lower the image quality somewhat, 5770 alone might go near 30fps in most games already.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 21:58 

Along this line, I'm using a later AMD gpu the 5870 2gb with 6 mini display ports in Crossfire with 3x1 Eyefinity and its working good except, I've "heard" but haven't
got any confirmation that with this later gpu its only gonna use one of the two gpu's. Is this accurate? I'm pretty new to computers,
so I could be wrong about this. I ask because before I got the extra 2 monitors and all I was using the Crossfire config as mentioned. And was
expecting both to continue working with Eyefinity 6. But from my casual observations and crude tests it looks to me like the Eyefinity is only
working with one GPU. I don't have any sophiscticated testing software to speak of, but in one instance I play a game with Eyefinity configured
but only use the 1920x1080 resolution so that I'm only seeing it on one screen and play OK, but not great. And then If i turn off Eyefinity with
the Catalyst controller etc and even unplug the data cables at the gpu of the two now not used monitors--the single screen 1920x1080 seems to work
much better,smoother,at full maxed graphic settings,including 4xAA etc. Couldn't get that before. I even posted the question at the AMD
Crossfire forum etc--yesterday or the day before but still haven't got reply. Anyone know anything about this? Or is it just my ignorance
I am new, so maybe. And by the way the flickering in crossfire etc was mentioned? I only get flickering if I've got all 3 screens in Eyefintiy and
I try to type in to a email or software application etc. Or I scroll up/down etc in Eyefinity. Then yes. But not during game play etc. So its not
really a problem. So far, and I just got all this working this week. I'm going into Catalyst and reconfiguring in and out of Eyefinity depending
on the game or use of the machine. If things stay as they are, I plan to only configure Eyefinity when I'm playing a specific game --like Dirt2 etc
where the game is known to play well in Eyefinity. Other games where its not, like all my internet multi playing COD etc. no, I'll just exit
Eyefintiy and reconfigure to a single monitor. I've only played a few games with this, but have found for instance the Left4Dead at Steam on line played good with 3x1 Eyefintiy, but haven't found
any of my current on line shooters to work with Eyefinity. Not saying there's nothing on the screen---there are for sure images etc--but images are
squashed down dramatically and its a challenge to play. I've done it OK. But its hard. And one is clearly not meant to.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 23:05 

I should clarify the comment I made about flickering. The flickering "only" occurs if I have the application maximized over
all three screens. For example, if I have an application "not" maximized and its displayed on only one of my 3 windows I can type
and scroll without flickering while there are either applications open on the other remaining 2 windows or if just open desk top is appearing on those other two monitors. But if I take that same application and "maximize" it so that now it is spread totally across
all three monitors--then yes I does flicker if I scroll or type etc. I hope that's more clear. So if I'm using Eyefinity and have
all three screens operational etc. I just dont' maximize applications and all is well.
Hope that helps.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 23:12 

By the way, I did the game tests above with single player Crysis Warhead.