Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 14:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 04:07 

So I have your typical 5870/i7 rig. 3 Identical samsung monitors. When ever a game starts up, the monitor with the DP>VGA dongle attached goes black. The only sollution is to minimize the game, and switch profiles between my eyefinity and 3 seperate monitor profile (I use for work), and re-open the game.

Some times, CCC gets mad at me for changing prof.s too often, and it stops running. Long story short, this has really made eyefinity a pain in the ass.

I have done some testing: several VGA cables, 2 active VGA adapters (one by accell and one by Saphire), nothing has worked. I read on another forum to avoid "active VGA" but it was stated there is no such thing as "inactive" vga.

Do I need to flash bios? Or up the power to the card? Would having an additional 5870 in crossfire help? Any suggestions would be great thanks.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 00:52 

I managed to fix it. Turns out the culprit was my pre-OC'd powercolor 5870. Either the DP was faulty or not getting enough power. With an XFX in there, it runs fine.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 04:28 

I managed to fix it. Turns out the culprit was my pre-OC'd powercolor 5870. Either the DP was faulty or not getting enough power. With an XFX in there, it runs fine.

I have never been able to trust the "pre-overclocked" cards myself. Any overclocking to be done, I want to be the one to do it.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 20:43 

Hey guys I just wanted to add that I aslso was experiencing very mild issues with a Sapphire DP--> VGA adapter . Granted, it was happening MUCH less often and caused me much less headache than the ACCELL adapter.
I currently have a Sapphire 5870 1 GB.
Just out of curiosity, I put in my old XFX5770 and tested eyefinity using the dp-->vga adapter. Guess what, no blanking whatsoever, I have had it running all weekend, playing games, changing resolutions... works with no problem.
This is not the first time that someone mentions that Sapphire has problem and when they switched to XFX, the problem went away.
I am returning the Sapphire and keeping my XFX 5770.
Can anyone disprove my theory that XFX work best with the DP to VGA adapter or have less problem than other brands?

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 23:00 

I'm having opposite issue, though quite minor. :)

When I turn off my computer, two screens turn off automatically and go to standby mode, but the one with DP->VGA adapter stays on forever. Is there a fix or do I just have to turn it off manually?