Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 07:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dp to VGA?
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 16:14 

Hi!

I recently bought a new setup with 3 1080 p monitors and a 5870 2g with 6 mini dp. I have read that some passive dp to VGA works?

I now have 2 dvi so it will work with the dp to VGA as the third?

Is it possible to have 2 dp to VGA sp I can have one for my projector as screen nr 4? Or is it only possible with one?

My final question is... Will the screen that uses VGA have noticably badder quality the the dvi's?

Thanks a bunch :)

Post subject: Re: Dp to VGA?
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 02:07 
Insiders
Insiders

you can use 2xdp@DVI and 4x dp@ vga

vga quality is worse than DVI of course, and start I guess on 1680x1050 (on smaller I dont see a difference)
but if you use good thick vga cable (not stock thin one with blue plugs) quality should be a little closer to DVI

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 11:34 

I beg you to tell me which of these three displays is using VGA vs. the two that are using DVI:

One of these is using a DP->VGA adapter while the other two are using DVI->DVI.

There are several of us who are using a similar setup and there is NO degradation of the image quality at all.

In addition to the IQ being on par with the DVI, I'm also having NO TROUBLE with flashing screens, lost signal, or other problems I had with the ACTIVE adapter I tried at first.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 15:47 

there we go again.. :doh

The first one is VGA, colour difference.
But in my opinion all three look bad :mrgreen:

If you want to game only: go for the DP-VGA! HP AS615AA is a good one.
Except for the 5970, i am returning mine at the moment.

Up until present day i never got one DP-VGA working on my 5970.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 16:56 

there we go again.. :doh

The first one is VGA, colour difference.
But in my opinion all three look bad :mrgreen:

If you want to game only: go for the DP-VGA! HP AS615AA is a good one.
Except for the 5970, i am returning mine at the moment.

Up until present day i never got one DP-VGA working on my 5970.

Sorry, but you're wrong. The first one is my main display and using DVI. You can see the very fine border of my hidden task bar at the bottom.

The poor quality of the images is due to NO light, and NO flash. It's the camera's fault, not the displays I'm using.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 20:38 

The poor quality of the images is due to NO light, and NO flash. It's the camera's fault, not the displays I'm using.

I know, just kidding.. Point is that we had this DP-VGA discussion for many times already. And i stick with it: i can see differences.
But maybe thats because i have 3 S-IPS 8-bit panels with true 16.7 mil colours. but lets not get into that discussion again.

If the DP-VGA works, it works. It didn't for me.. But again, maybe because my LP2065 have only DVI connections.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 21:14 

Thanks for good answers!

Anybody know why ATI made the cards that way? what is the reason that we cant use 6x dvi? is it to make displayport more known?

why can we have as many vga as we want but not dp til dvi?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 10:09 

Thanks for good answers!

Anybody know why ATI made the cards that way? what is the reason that we cant use 6x dvi? is it to make displayport more known?

One answer: DisplayPort is currently Royalty-free whereas the others are not.

Interesting reading here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 15:14 
Insiders
Insiders

Displayport also has much more bandwidth to do things with.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 16:16 

Thanks for good answers!

ATI said it was about keeping the cost down. Using displayport to drive the 3rd + screens made the cards only a little more expensive which was important at the time because they didn't really know how popular eyefinity would really be or how soon and how good or cheap the Nvidia cards would be.

As it turns out they had no competition from Nvidia for a long time and eyefinity was quite popular but they didn't know that at the time they designed the cards.

The VGA adapters actually convert the Digital displayport signals into anologue VGA and manage to aquire enough power from the displayport to accomplish this up to around 1080p resolution. So these adapters are Active.

The cheaper DVI adapters do not convert the signal. They just pass through one of the available DVI signals over the displayport so they are passive. The active DVI adapters require additional USB power and are a lot more expensive. I am sure it would be possible for someone to make a lower resolution DVI active adapter that is powered from the displayport but there was no market previously for such a device and they are making a lot of money on the dual link devices.