Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 07:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 May 2010, 21:44 

Can't seem to get these for love nor money here in the UK :cry:

After a few months researching and buying, I got everything setup, with three 26"" NEC (EA261WM) monitors... Removed the Matrox TH2Go Digital as it won't support [3x1680]x1050 @ 60Hz, and from tests the monitors don't respond to the required 57Hz. That's fine as I am looking forward to [3x1920]x1200 anyway...

But I can only get an Eyefinity with dual screens, not three as every supplier I have tried says there is a major constraint on stocks of the Active Displayport-DVI Adaptors.

There isn't exactly much choice either, whatever the branding (Startech, Sapphire etc...) it looks like the Accell B087B-002B is what it is.

In desperation, after waiting for an order that then failed, I tried a (non-active) DisplayPort-VGA. It worked but only delivered a 1400x1200 (4:3) max res, even with the NEC driver, and the picture "quality" was not useable.

So I have ordered a (non-active) Displayport-DVI hoping for a better result as I only want it to go to 1920x1200 which in within single link bandwidth.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Other manufacturers of a suitable active adaptor that IS available in the UK?

Otherwise my gaming system will likely remain off until near the end of the year when the Accell based adaptors are available here.

(Amazon.com won't deliver it to the UK, so no luck buying from the USA either. You have to laugh though, right? Couple of grand worth of gaming PC broken by an overpriced £100 adaptor based on a new video output standard that hardly any reasonably priced monitors currently available even support!)

PostPosted: 27 May 2010, 04:24 

You could get the apple adapter listed here http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161949 it works well for me and has some advantages over the Accell like higher refresh rate support.

The downside is that you need a female mini displayport to displayport adapter which I couldn't find in the UK but I got one from here http://estore.circuitassembly.com/products/Mini-Displayport-Female-to-Displayport-Male-Adapter-Cable.html and recieved it in 3 days. It also works fine for me even though they seem to have added a disclaimer recently about compatibility.

PostPosted: 27 May 2010, 14:42 

Thanks for that info! I will look into doing it that way.

:D