Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 03:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Metro: Last Light
PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 02:21 
I Donated
I Donated

Heads up, PC reviews are up, and there is no FoV slider for the game. I haven't pre-ordered/purchased yet, but I do plan to.

I'm guessing that even if there is Multi-mon support (I hope), the FoV will probably be fairly unreasonable.

Post subject: Re: Metro: Last Light
PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 19:02 
Insiders
Insiders

Can anyone confirm whether triple-wide is supported? A tight FOV tends not to bother me as much as it does most folks, but I'm holding off on purchasing pending confirmation of multi-monitor support. If anyone's tried it in triple-wide, does it have the same issue Metro 2033 had with the mouse x-axis sensitivity being tripled?

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 19:45 

I snagged a pirated version (naughty naughty i know :P) to try out. Not a lot of time to properly test it so what i've found so far:

The Good:
- Multi-screen resolution (in my case 5890x1200 and 5760x1200) is available to pick
- FOV seems just fine for multiscreen, wouldnt dare to put a number on it, but vertically the FOV seems about the same as single screen at least.
- FMV cutscenes are properly centered on the middle screen, side screens remain black

The Bad:
- No FOV slider, but since the FOV feels right anyway, i can live with this.
- Horizontal mouse sensitivity is way higher than vertical (ouch), only one overall mouse sensitivity slider too.

I've not gotten far enough to see what the HUD does, but i did notice that some on-screen effects are put on a plane and spin in the center of the screen, but the edges of those planes are clearly visible on the side screens. The main screen in Dead Space 1 had this too. Not sure if that all makes sense, but it's not too disturbing, i'll make a screenshot later if i can :P

LG 34UM95-P (3440x1440) + 2x Dell U2412M; MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G in 2-SLI; i5 4690k w/ Mugen 4 PCGH; 16GB Crucial; MSI Z97-G45 GAMING; Crucial M500 480GB; Corsair Enthusiast TX750M; CM Storm Scout 2

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 23:09 

I run 3 wide screen monitors and the only real complaint I have is the HUD doesn't scale right as your reticule for your aim is off to the left of the screen, so you get to guess where you are really pointing. I copied a post from 4A games off of Steam, maybe one of your programmer guru's could shed some light on this post if they are Full of Manure or it really is an issue. I find it hard to believe they have a real issue, after all we have seen indie games with FoV and MM support.

Quote:
A note from 4A Games about FOV
Hey all. The community feedback about FOV has not gone unnoticed. 4A Games has this update for you about FOV and what they are working on:

We're aware the community have been asking for a 'Field of View' slider for Metro: Last Light. Unfortunately, this was not as simple a thing to implement as it might appear!

The main reason for maintaining a fixed FOV is because we have 3D elements like the watch and weapon ammo that need to remain visible.

In addition, all the game's first-person cut scenes and cinematics and each and every animation involving Artyom's hands - idle weapon animations, reloads, ladder climbing, melee attacks etc, - were created assuming the same, fixed field of view.

Changing the FOV would break all the cut-scenes and animations - you would be able to see inside Artyom's arms, or they would appear to float in the air in front of you. Or worse.

We had considered offering three FOV pre-sets, but this would still require significant work to re-do every animation, adjust the HUD and UI and other seemingly small but incredibly time consuming tasks.

Even with a wider but still fixed field of view, Artyom's hands would look too far away. We know - we tried.

Game performance is also tied to FOV - the amount of geometric detail we put in each scene has been partly determined by this set FOV, and setting a wider FOV would have a performance impact.

We understand this issue is important to many people, and we have been looking at possible solutions.

In the immediate term - the next title update, due in the next few days will allow you to directly change the FOV in the .cfg files.

This may well trigger a number of issues listed above - you have been warned!

- 4A Games

:triplewide:

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 23:31 

Works great in 3D Vision Surround as well, except the crosshair is 2D and doesn't match the depth of the object you are aiming at, but you can disable it. As said before, some of the post process screen effects do not cover the entire view, only the middle monitor and visibly chopped off on the side monitors. Although performance is a bit to be desired in 3D Vision Surround at 5760x1080 even on SLI Titans maxed out settings with no AA.

PostPosted: 15 May 2013, 01:40 
I Donated
I Donated

Oraijon wrote:
- Horizontal mouse sensitivity is way higher than vertical (ouch), only one overall mouse sensitivity slider too.

So, it has the same issue as 2033? That really sucks...I almost couldn't play Metro 2033 again because of the horrible mouse problems on surround.

Was anyone ever able to find a fix for that?

PostPosted: 15 May 2013, 03:25 

As for the fix with the too speedy mouse, here is what I did in the original Metro if I remember correctly.

I use a logitech mouse and I used the software included to set a specific profile to run when the metro executable was run. In that profile I turned down the side to side mouse speed to about half the sensitivity and it played fine.

I do not remember the details of how I did it, but that is the general steps I used to make it playable.

PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 02:33 
Insiders
Insiders

I've noticed a strange bug - if I have AA enabled the HUD pushes left and is all over the joint - without AA the HUD is perfect. Weird, anyone else with this issue?

PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 11:57 
Insiders
Insiders

Deep Silver have released the previously promised FOV fix for Metro: Last Light. A custom config tweak will now let you increase the game's field of view from its default setting of 50 vertical degrees. The developers had warned that changing the FOV could "trigger a number of issues," but isn't post-apocalyptic survival all about cobbling together barely functional tools and resources? At the very least, this crude workaround seems in keeping with the setting.

To change the FOV, find the "user.cfg" file in:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\4A Games\Metro LL\

Locate the line: "r_base_fov X", changing X to your desired value. Just remember, the attribute is the less common vertical FOV. This FOV Calculator will help you out should you need to covert.

The update also brings good news for AMD owners: "A patch has been released on Steam to fix issues with AMD hardware, and improve performance for these cards," writes Deep Silver's community manager on the Steam Forums. "It also fixes a shadow visual corruption bug on AMD 7xxx cards, and fixes an issue with the game starting only in 3:1 resolution on some TVs."

PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 14:10 
I Donated
I Donated

Toothless Spoon wrote:
Deep Silver have released the previously promised FOV fix for Metro: Last Light. A custom config tweak will now let you increase the game's field of view from its default setting of 50 vertical degrees. The developers had warned that changing the FOV could "trigger a number of issues," but isn't post-apocalyptic survival all about cobbling together barely functional tools and resources? At the very least, this crude workaround seems in keeping with the setting.

To change the FOV, find the "user.cfg" file in:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\4A Games\Metro LL\

Locate the line: "r_base_fov X", changing X to your desired value. Just remember, the attribute is the less common vertical FOV. This FOV Calculator will help you out should you need to covert.

The update also brings good news for AMD owners: "A patch has been released on Steam to fix issues with AMD hardware, and improve performance for these cards," writes Deep Silver's community manager on the Steam Forums. "It also fixes a shadow visual corruption bug on AMD 7xxx cards, and fixes an issue with the game starting only in 3:1 resolution on some TVs."

So I'm just about finishing up my Metro 2033 run though...soon as I'm finished going to get Last Light. But my question is: Does the FoV fix function the same as it did in 2033? THey dev's warned about "issues" upon setting higher FoV. Have you encountered any thus far with that higher FoV?