Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 08:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 04:52 

I use a laptop with an ATI 4200 HD graphics chip on the motherboard. It has 336 dedicated megabytes of ram and uses up to 1.2 gigabytes additional system ram for video. Pretty sweet for a 300 dollar laptop from wal-mart.

However sometimes especially for games not optimized for PC like Xbox clone games, I need to use lower resolutions like 1024x768 or even the dreaded 800x600.

I recently let the stupid ATI manager software update my ati driver software and i can no longer use a resolution like these that are forced to scale to widescreen. There used to be a setting in the Catalyst Control Center that let you tell a game or application to force widescreen via scaling even if your resolution was 800x 600 - it would fill the laptop screen - no black bars. This would work no matter what resolution you set the game at - desktop resolution was not affected.

This is probably a very common trick talked about on this forum.

Please help me find the ATI driver that does this. I have downgraded to driver 11.10 (12 is current) and still no luck.. this has Vision Engine crap inside of it - my old driver did not have that stuff. I cannot find the correct options to make it work with the newer Vision Engine software.. in fact, i have tried at least 4 older versions of the ATI software. I dont even seem to have a Catalyst Control Center folder anymore - they merged the Vision and CCC and i don't want or need that - just want my stuff back how it used to be.

Thanks in advance.