Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 18:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 20:23 

Hi,

Regarding the solution for the D2D version of Mafia I here:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19884

Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't look like the 16:10 shot is hor. It looks like some of the top and bottom is cut off. Anyone agree?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 13:19 
Editors
Editors

Mmm, Mafia is now effectively Hor+ on surround (multi-monitor) resolutions, but in fact seems to be still Vert- on widescreen - in other words, only surround was fixed. :wink:
I added your contribution to the confirmed game solution. :)

4:3

16:10

16:9

48:10

Surround before would look like this (screenshot by GeneralAdmission) :

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 17:16 

But those pics make it look like it was made for 4:3 first. :roll:

There should be a way to get it right for 16:9, 16:10, etc.. Maybe there is an option toggle being used in surround?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 19:24 
Editors
Editors

But those pics make it look like it was made for 4:3 first. :roll:

There should be a way to get it right for 16:9, 16:10, etc.. Maybe there is an option toggle being used in surround?

Well thats true, it has never actually "supported" widescreen / surround resolutions (it would run on these resolutions, but always with a Vert- screen change - http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=10472 ), till this D2D version that supports multi-monitor game near perfectly with Hor+ and central HUD. Widescreen is still a no-go, being Vert-.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 21:48 

Well thats true, it has never actually "supported" widescreen / surround resolutions

I was just joking.

till this D2D version that supports multi-monitor game near perfectly with Hor+ and central HUD. Widescreen is still a no-go, being Vert-.

I think it is very unlikely that they reprogrammed the game to recognize an aspect wider than 16:9 and then change to hor +. They probably stuck some binary option somewhere that tells it to do so. If you can force enable that for regular widescreen resolutions you might get Hor + there as well.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 21:56 
Editors
Editors

I think it is very unlikely that they reprogrammed the game to recognize an aspect wider than 16:9 and then change to hor +.

Well thats how it seems to be, any additional information would be great of course.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 23:41 

You could look for the settings file. Make a copy and then compare it when you change from one surround resolution to another to find the resolution values. Then change to a normal widescreen resolution and see if anything else besides the resolution values have changed.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 00:02 
Editors
Editors

There are no settings file you can edit afaik. :|

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 02:40 

There are no settings file you can edit afaik.

Something is being changed somewhere. :mrgreen:

Some suggetions if you want to try and hunt it down...

You could make a change in the config launcher and then search the game folders using the "arrange by modified" option and look for files that have been modified at the time you changed the settings. It could also be hiding in your Documents section and some games actually use the registry to store settings. Don't forget savegame files as well.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 02:51 
Editors
Editors

There are no settings file you can edit afaik.

Something is being changed somewhere. :mrgreen:

Some suggetions if you want to try and hunt it down...

You could make a change in the config launcher and then search the game folders using the "arrange by modified" option and look for files that have been modified at the time you changed the settings. It could also be hiding in your Documents section and some games actually use the registry to store settings. Don't forget savegame files as well.

I know, what i mean is that there is no .ini file that you can edit with notepad i.e., game is launched using Setup.exe, its a 46Kb file that allows you to choose GFX (resolution, AA, AF etc...) and sound settings, before actually launching the game. Maybe the widescreen solution is in this file, idk.