Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Aug 2024, 14:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 02:13 

Is there any solution to patching KOTOR from Steam to accept custom resolutions? UniWS doesn't see the executable (it finds it, but won't let me patch) because swkotor.exe has been modified to work on Steam without a CD.

What alternatives do we have to using UniWS? Can I manually hex edit it or are the values located somewhere else? I see lots of guides on here but nothing has worked for me.

Thanks

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 04:19 

*Update for newcomers*

WSGF Hacks for KOTOR page has been updated with instructions for the Steam version of the game.

----

Yup as I guessed when I first saw the game on Steam, looks like whatever they did to modify the game's executable for Steam changed it enough that the appropriate hex strings UniWS needs to modify can not be found.

Following the manual hex editing guide we have were won't work since that relies on the same hex strings as UniWS.

Someone with appropriate compiled code reading knowledge might be able to relocate the hex strings that need to be modified - and then we can simply update UniWS with a separate entry for the Steam version of the game.

If I end up getting the game on Steam, I'll try my best. I can't make any promises though as my hex reading abilities are fairly basic, and I'm not sure when I'll get around to having the time to do the research.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 05:15 

I figured this would be the case as well.

I have the "best of PC" version and there is no working disc-crack for that of which I know, so I bought the Steam version to play without a disc. I would gladly donate some money to anyone if they are willing to mod the widescreen program to work with Steam.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 05:32 

Well I'll give it the old college try like I said when I can find the time. I don't want any donations or anything because I'm not sure I can do it.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 06:03 

Well I was more speaking to the guys on here who do the programs.

Someone on nvnews just said he got it working though, so it might an easy fix.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 06:23 

Well I was more speaking to the guys on here who do the programs.

So I'm chopped liver I suppose? :? I'm not compeltely without knowledge of the edits involved you know. And my ego is very fragile :wink:

Anyway, sounds like he's saying he used an exe other than the Steam one. Since Steam games are file-wise equivalent to the disc versions of games with the exception of the exe, there's nothing preventing you from using cracked exes with the Steam version content files. That said, I was not aware the current UniWS hack worked on any cracked exes for Kotor 1.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 07:07 

[quote]Well I was more speaking to the guys on here who do the programs.

So I'm chopped liver I suppose? :? I'm not compeltely without knowledge of the edits involved you know. And my ego is very fragile :wink:

Hahaha... I just meant they have donation pages.

Anyway, I was unaware the tool worked on no-disc cracks as well... maybe that is because I have never owned the original PC version of the game, only the later rereleases (I was impatient and played it on Xbox at first).

I'll go to game copy world and see what happens... better not screw anything up.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 12:12 

Well I swapped the exes and applied the widescreen solution, but it did not work. It finds it and says "successfully patched" but the resolution I added does not appear in the menu and rewriting the ini results in the game loading in 800x600.

I remember it didn't work before with me for the no-disc exe, so I don't know how you guys are getting it to work.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 12:40 

Neeevermiiiind... I figured out the problem, and the problem from before when I was trying to use the no-disc crack on my hard copy. The 1.3 fixed exe is not the same as the fully updated 1.3b I guess. I ran the auto update program and now all is right with the world.

KotOR in Widescreen, yay! This game still looks not bad, really... wish a real third game was coming, rather than an MMO.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 19:00 

So wait, Velvet, you've found a solution? Explain!