Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 22:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 90" Widescreen Gaming?
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008, 03:27 

Hey guys. First off, I'd like to say I'm new to the forums. I've got some pretty good experience with computers but I'm pretty crappy at the whole multi-monitor thing. Mmmk, so to the point...

Wondering if it's possible to use three 30" monitors for gaming. Hoping to run games at a resolution of 5760x1200 (1920x1200)3. And the desktop and basic OS elements at 7680x1600. My original plan was to buy three GTX280's and separately connect them to each monitor.

ie...
GTX280 1 --> Monitor 1
GTX280 2 --> Monitor 2
GTX280 3 --> Monitor 3

So basically without SLI or anything. Will this work? Will it be possible to play games like this? Preferably at a decent framerate, 40+ without any AA.

Also, is it possible to configure games to run on specified monitors when you run em? Like, say if I want to play GRID, only have it run on the center monitor or something of the sort? Would I have to window it?

My system right now.........
Q6600
4GB DDR2 6400
Raptor X 150GB
WD Caviar 640GB
Samsung S203B Optical Drive
Dell 3007WFP-HC (hoping for 2 more)
eVGA 8800GTSSC in SLI (replacing w/ 3 GTX280's hopefully)
My motherbaord is a standard eVGA 780i

Thnx in advance guys.^^

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008, 04:15 

Certian games would work like that, FSX is the best example.

Most games however will not. You would need SoftTH which imo is not very good.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008, 05:12 

Certian games would work like that, FSX is the best example.

Will games running in DX10 do it automatically?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008, 05:58 

[quote]Certian games would work like that, FSX is the best example.

Will games running in DX10 do it automatically?

I highly doubt it. The game has to be coded to support such a thing. Thats why TH2G is so popular it makes the game (and computer in general) think that theres one big monitor.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008, 06:10 

rumor has it sli+multimonitor is coming in the next big nvidia driver version, it apparently already works on their expensive quadros, of course we're still waiting for physx support on 8 and 9 lines since a long time ago, rumors could take a while to show up for real.

as long as you'll be gaming in 3x 1920x1200 why not get like 27" monitors with that as their native res, less expensive and you can probably softth em too, shouldn't need 3 GTX 280 either.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008, 07:39 

rumor has it sli+multimonitor is coming in the next big nvidia driver version, it apparently already works on their expensive quadros, of course we're still waiting for physx support on 8 and 9 lines since a long time ago, rumors could take a while to show up for real.

as long as you'll be gaming in 3x 1920x1200 why not get like 27" monitors with that as their native res, less expensive and you can probably softth em too, shouldn't need 3 GTX 280 either.

I could, but I've already got one 30" and i'd like to just have em be the same. Also, TripleHead2Go only supports the res (1280x1024)3. SoftTH should work on my setup though, right? Also, I've got a deal where I can get the 30's for about 800 bucks.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008, 16:03 

If anything your going to kill a northbridge chip.

Thats alot of data. It might work, it might not. Not only are most engines designed not for that resolution, but I can't even think about FOV! You;d have some serious things you'd have overcome, but its really possible.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2008, 04:33 

If anything your going to kill a northbridge chip.

Thats alot of data. It might work, it might not. Not only are most engines designed not for that resolution, but I can't even think about FOV! You;d have some serious things you'd have overcome, but its really possible.

Could you elaborate a little on that plz. Like I said earlier, very new to the whole multi-monitor thing and I have no idea how it affects different parts of the comp & such. Like how it affects the northbridge & stuff. Also, whats FOV? Thnx

Can you simply cool the NB? Like, include in a LC loop.
Also, if necessary I can get a different mobo.

And would it be possible to run the three 30" monitors if I didn't game on all three? Pointless, but if I could do that and game on the middle one, or two of em or something it'd help to know. How does this put pressure on the nb also? Wouldn't the only deciding factor be the graphics cards?

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2008, 19:41 

Note that 3 30" screens side by side makes for a 78" display area, not 90".