Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 02:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Psi-Ops
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2008, 21:32 

I found this free version (ad supported, you have to be online) of Psi-Ops, thanks to a link at Driverheaven.
http://www.fileplanet.com/187537/180000/fileinfo/Psi-Ops:-The-Mindgate-Conspiracy-(Free-Game)

The game is a third person shooter with some jedi knight powers (so far I have discovered telekinisis, something that feels like a choke, etc).
I am about an hour into it and it is not bad, but unfortunately the resolutions available are very low. Highest is 1280x960 and since it is also a 4+ years old game, I let you imagine how it looks without correct aspect scaling on a 24" monitor...

There is a configuration file in it, but I am not sure it helps.

Anyone happen to have a solution?
You can always try to download the game and try it for yourself, it is not a bad game at all.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2008, 21:54 

In case anyone is wondering, the ads so far are either when loading or when leaving the game. In both cases it was a short video trailer from the movie eh, the new Angelina Jolie movie, don't remember the title. ....lol

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2008, 00:52 
Insiders
Insiders

I wish more ad-heavy games were free...

Though i certainly won't be getting this.. but thanks for the info.

My hatred of over-advertising is why i never watch TV shows, i only download them, and never wear logos on my person.

Sure, companies should certainly be allowed and without capitalism I wouldn';t have all these neat gadgets i own, but sometimes it's too much.

Luckily I've learned to completely ignore banner ads. When they're silent.

but out of cuiousity, did they at least get widescreen right?

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2008, 02:49 

I wish more ad-heavy games were free...

Though i certainly won't be getting this.. but thanks for the info.

My hatred of over-advertising is why i never watch TV shows, i only download them, and never wear logos on my person.

Sure, companies should certainly be allowed and without capitalism I wouldn';t have all these neat gadgets i own, but sometimes it's too much.

Luckily I've learned to completely ignore banner ads. When they're silent.

but out of cuiousity, did they at least get widescreen right?

Widescreen?What's that?

No widescreen support. At least natively, that's why I asked about it here. :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2008, 05:34 
Insiders
Insiders

Oh.. i missed that part. Har har. Me stupad.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2008, 10:03 
Editors
Editors

Thanks for the heads up. I remember this game... Not bad, and then again... Too "consoley" and with frustrating gameplay, especially around the end. It has its moments though, despite the lack of graphical detail. If I remember correctly the game's engine/devs/publisher are quite the same as for Area 51, the "prequel" to UE3-based Blacksite. Except Psi-Ops is third-person. My feelings for both games are quite the same, though.

One cool power is Possession, reminded me of Messiah :) Take control of a sniper on top of a building and shoot down your fellow grunts... or jump down and commit suicide. Nice :twisted:

And online ad-freeware or whatever you call it sucks imho... True abandonware would be much better. The real game can probably be found for peanuts anyway. Too many people want to do everything online and never lift their butt off their chair nowadays, so I guess this system may have some success. Nothing big until it's on Steam though :roll:

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2008, 13:46 

Thanks for the heads up. I remember this game... Not bad, and then again... Too "consoley" and with frustrating gameplay, especially around the end. It has its moments though, despite the lack of graphical detail. If I remember correctly the game's engine/devs/publisher are quite the same as for Area 51, the "prequel" to UE3-based Blacksite. Except Psi-Ops is third-person. My feelings for both games are quite the same, though.

One cool power is Possession, reminded me of Messiah :) Take control of a sniper on top of a building and shoot down your fellow grunts... or jump down and commit suicide. Nice :twisted:

And online ad-freeware or whatever you call it sucks imho... True abandonware would be much better. The real game can probably be found for peanuts anyway. Too many people want to do everything online and never lift their butt off their chair nowadays, so I guess this system may have some success. Nothing big until it's on Steam though :roll:

Since the game isn't an abandonware (even if we accept it as "legal"), there is no way in hell I was going to pay anything for a game that looks like this and is a third person shooter. So, the price of admission, of free with a video trailer now and then, I am willing to pay.

As for the online only comment, I don't know about you, but I have been gaming since the mid 80s and I have thousands of games and I ran out of room like a decade ago. So, even before Steam, Gamersgate, Matrixgames download, totalgaming, etc, since the mid 90s, I don't even keep boxes or even manuals. Just the CD/DVD and the manual only in extreme cases.
Now, also considering that I change address quite often, I have no desire to pay a lorry to carry my games whenever I move and of course make sure I have plenty of room in the new flat for my games alone.
So, when a game is available as a download, either paying (from the above companies only), or free, like ad supported, then I will prefer it than a box version.

If I had a huge house and I didn't move that often, then perhaps I wouldn't.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2008, 10:20 
Editors
Editors

This certainly makes sense.
Except the "I play it but I refuse to pay anything for this game since it's quite crappy" part :P
On a not-so-unrelated sidenote, I enjoy freely watching South Park on the official site, even though it has all the original annoying TV ads...