Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 01:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2006, 09:53 

I have ATI Crossfire running on a Dell 24" and just reinstalled Red Faction after 4 years. the listed resolutions within the game only go up to 1280 X 1024. The only CFG file in the red Faction directory is unreadable by notepad or word. The only info I can find on this website regarding Red Faction is in the master games list, and it indicates a registry hack is required, but when I click on the link for it I get a no information message.

Any help? Thank you

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2006, 09:59 
Founder
Founder

I do not understand. What's wrong with the link? Perhaps you're not clicking it correctly? :lol:

Link (from Master List): http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/
Comparison rollover: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/screenshots/rfaction.php

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2006, 19:46 

Wow thank you! Red Faction looks and runs great now. Not sure why the links weren't getting through when I first checked though.

On a completely unrelated note, my mouse cursor is all the way to the left on the screen, and my mouse is on the right edge of the mousepad, preventing me from moving my mouse from the left edge of the screen...any help? :P

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2009, 05:44 

Heyyo,

Just adding this here since I searched around a bit on the boards for a fix..

Heyyo,

Now, Red Faction just got released on steam for free as part of the "pre-order Red Faction Guerilla, get Red Faction 1 & 2 free"

So I thought I would post in here how to get Red Faction 1 WITH awesome widescreen with correct hud, and even work amazing on the latest hardware (I had graphics corruption on my nVidia 8800GT)

Pure Faction. Yep. Two words. Some fans of the game rebuilt the game engine without the source code to support widescreen and latest vidcards, and some good glitch fixes for mp even.. great stuff! I'm amazed they didn't package it into steam tbh.

http://purefaction.org/

Automatic Map Downloader
When you try to join a server running a map you don't have, Pure Faction gives you the option to automatically download and install it without closing your game. The map server has 1662 maps in the database.

New In Game Graphical User Interface (GUI)
Pressing F1 in game pops up a menu allowing you to use your mouse to select the desired action.

First Person Spectate
From the GUI you can click on Spectate, then select a player from the list to view the game through their eyes.

Super Lazyban
You can use the GUI to Kick or Ban players just by clicking on their names.

New Scoreboard
A new scoreboard showing players kills and deaths, along with giving mappers the recognition they deserve. More statistics will be added to the scoreboard with updates.

Resolution Fixes
Play the game at any resolution you please with a working HUD. The game will no longer crash if you take a screenshot at high resolutions. You can also play in windowed mode or a fullscreen mode which allows you to alt tab, minimize, maximize (NOTE: For this mode you should set your game resolution to half that of your screen resolution for optimum visuals). Widescreen resolutions are now fully supported (set it using the PFLauncher).

Graphics Card Compatibility
You can now play on any modern NVIDIA graphics card without a garbled screen.

Auto-Updater
Pure Faction will always keep itself up to date. You do not even need to close your server or client and the game will update itself. This feature allows me to update the program very easily, and there will be frequent updates.

Mouse changes
Mouse lag has been reduced by at least 8.5ms, the dual monitor bug has been fixed, and mouse precision has been improved (NOTE: you will be able to go back to the old style of aiming in an upcoming update). As with the old Pure Faction, you can set your mouse sensitivity very precisely with the ms command in console (for example type "ms 0.055")

Server statistics
The server now keeps detailed statistics on players, and players can view some of these by typing statsme in chat. This will be greatly advanced with updates coming over the next few weeks.

Glitch fixes
Almost every weapon glitch in the game has been fixed serverside (e.g. invisible bullets, using batton to fire free bullets, etc). Infinite ammo hacks such as "Myth", and rapid fire mods are also blocked serverside. Wall peeking, and the speed bug are also blocked.

Security fixes
There are dozens of security fixes in Pure Faction, both client and serverside. Dozens of netcode based exploits such as renaming other players are also blocked. Players with unkickable or multi line names are automatically renamed.

And much more..
Some features have been temporarily disabled, as they are not quite finished, and there are many other small changes and fixes, some of which I will add information about later.

They also did a few minor fixes since the 2.0 release but this is the main stuff that counts. ;)

Btw.. the game is VERT- even with Pure Faction.

Here is an InGame screenies with the hud acting proper:
1280x1024

1680x1050

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2009, 23:42 

what the... MarD what are you doing here!

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 00:08 

Heyyo,

what the... MarD what are you doing here!

LOL!!! Heyyo meng... what do ya think I'm doing here, spreading my love for widescreen gaming! :D

Obviously I don't post much outside of PP hence my lack of post counts... the only other forum that I've been recognized at was actually... erm... the maw forums on bungie (halo PC section). :P

Apparently some of them love pp.. and when they read the credits of Episode 12 they were all like "HOLY SHIT IS THAT OUR MARD!?!?" and I confirmed it was me indeed... back before PP I posted there a lot and I was one of the godfather's of that section.. but my love of Halo1PC has died over time since it's not as active as before, and the ghey weapons took over... and the tk-exploiters.. meh, I got pp now. :)

I should post my rig so I can feel cool too.. I'll add it to my sig from xfire.

So how's things going for you eh? lol, I still remember the threads of "is meng a chick or a guy!?" on the boards cause you set your profile to female but most people figured you were a guy. :P