Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 03:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2006, 23:17 

I just noticed that the official solution for Call of Duty has a mistake and an omission. I tried to post there, but I guess you have to be a moderator.

Setting r_mode to -1 is to allow the videos in the beginning to play normally, according to your 'hacked' settings.

This setting is necessary, but I'm not sure what is meant by videos. Once you implement the hacks, the introductory videos from Activision and Infinity Ward do not show up at all. They play, but you will just stare at a black screen until they are through. That is why I add this additional hack to the cfg file because it will prevent the intros from even playing.

seta com_introplayed "1"

Now perhaps seta r_mode "-1" is necessary for the actual starting game video to play. I'm not sure. I always thought that setting was simply necessary to allow custom resolutions.

seta cg_fov "106.6"

This suggested FOV is too wide for even a true 16:9 aspect ratio screen. COD has a default FOV of 80, not 90. The correct FOV to use for a 16:9 aspect ratio resolution is 96.418343. I haven't calculated the FOV for a 16:10 screen, but it would be less than 96.

Finally, I think it is important to point out that these hacks will only work on the single player game. You can change the resolution in the multiplayer game by using the hacks, but you cannot expand the FOV beyond the default 80. 8)

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2006, 01:56 
Insiders
Insiders

If you think you can do better, then post another solution in the solutions board. Put a brief explanation of why your solution is the better one at either the top or the bottom. Don't cover all the reasons, just briefly explain what you think is the biggest problem with the old one that you corrected, so as not to distract from the actual solution. If someone with MGL editting privileges sees your solution and agrees that it is better than the "official" one (and that someone would probably be me), it will become the new "official" solution.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2006, 07:12 
Insiders
Insiders

i don't know.. i always foudn that 'proper' FOV was a subjective thing.

Although the FOV calcs are ok, i rarely find they give me a satisfactory result. it's jsut best to f*** with it until you get on that YOU like.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 02:53 

I'd never be upset if someone wanted to experiment with FOV settings and simply used an FOV that seemed good. In fact, this can be a very instructive excercise and is what I used to do before discovering that a precise calculation even existed.

However, the precisely calculated FOVs are based on trigonometry and insure that there is no distortion, i.e. stretching or squishing of the 3D world when playing the game on a non 4:3 aspect ratio monitor. Any other value used besides the precise number, guarantees that objects or characters in the game will either be slightly fatter or slightly skinnier than intended by the game developer. Whether or not you will notice this difference depends on how far off your chosen FOV is from the "correct" FOV. I promise that if you use 106.6 for the FOV in Call of Duty you will notice that everything looks too skinny. That is why I wanted to point out that using an FOV of 96.4 will work perfectly for a 16:9 aspect ratio resolution.

This old post of mine contains the exact formula and attempts to describe how to properly use the formula.

http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8444

8)

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 03:38 
Founder
Founder

i don't know.. i always foudn that 'proper' FOV was a subjective thing.

Although the FOV calcs are ok, i rarely find they give me a satisfactory result. it's jsut best to f*** with it until you get on that YOU like.

For the site's purpose, we calculate the "proper" widescreen FOV to be based on the 4:3 FOV the developers intended. If you play at a different 4:3 FOV, then your WS FOV would be different. The FOV Calc allows you to do manual calculations, and will give the WS & TH2Go FOVs for popular games (based on the original 4:3 FOV).