Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 23:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2005, 00:41 

Well, I can't seem to locate a thread that corresponds to exactly what I am talking about. So here goes...

I have a 30" Samsung CRT HDTV.... I am running a DVI cable to the HDMI input on the HDTV. I can get it to show up and I can do stuff but I cannot seem to get it to display the text on the desktop clearly....

Is it possible to get your HDTV to display the windows desktop Clearly? I can get the image on the monitor, and I can fix all the overscan problems so that my desktop fits perfectly on the TV but I can't seem to get a clear nice picture... it looks no better than when i use to run an s-video cable to my old crappy TV....

I have tried using powerstrip and moninfo to do this as well but powerstrip will not accept clone as a multiple monitor setup so I can't really check it, but even when using the reccomendations from moninfo and then pasting them into powerstrip, the desktop background oesn't seem to improve.. still looks like bad s-video.

any advcie would be sweet... or even a link to a guide that gets in depth would be nice too.. most of the guideas i found are for noobs and completely useless when you want to clear up the image....

lastly, I don't even know if it is possible, but It seems like it should be.... Thanks in advance from anyone...

specs:

6800 geforce with DVI out and VGA out.. (running monitor off my VGA)
Athlon 3500
19' CRT monitor as main monitor
Samsung 3079WH TV.

-maltice

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2005, 15:53 
Founder
Founder

Seems like you are not the only one having problems with this TV
Link

It appears to have problems with normal use (not PC) as well.

I was considering getting one until I read the posts in the link.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2005, 07:43 

I have a toshiba 30" hdtv crt as well. I'm assuming the problem you are having with the text is an inherent problem with all crt tvs that upscale to 1080i

Text on my tv is unreadable as well on the desktop because from what I understand my tv does not truly support 720p or 1080p.

Maybe try and get a 480p resolution to work?

Text and interlaced monitors don't work well together.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2005, 05:19 

Yes i experience this to with my Samsung 26" HDTV. I have the DVI to HDMI connection and it seems when i put it to something like 1780x992 or to the hightest resolution possible (I think it is something like 1980x1080) the text is so distorted and i cant read it. That would be cool to find some fix for this or something, i also notice that when i plug mine in to the VGA port on my Samsung the resolution is 1380x786 all is well and i can read the text fine. I was wondering if people have the same VGA and if that is fine just the DVI to HDMI connection that is having problems at high resolutions, or any resolution?

Specs:
AMD 64 Dual Core x2 2800+ 2.0 @ 2.4
GA-K8N Pro-SLI nForce 4
Gigabyte 7800 GT (stock speeds)
2gigs Corsair XMS
2 WD 160/120 hd
1 Maxtor 160 hd
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Gamer
Altec Lansing 5.1 Speakers
Enermax 480w PSU

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2005, 00:10 

I have managed to get this 30" slimfit HDTV from Samsung to look pretty darn good... I wouldn't say i have it to monitor quality but I can read text now and use it as a monitor...

I ended up making my settings something like 1152x652 (I am not home right now) and then fixed overscan... Adjusted contrast and some things and I got it to look pretty sweet... Now I am wondering about front porch and back porch and all of the timings settings that you can adjust in geforce drivers....

Seems to me, with what I have read, that this is possible to make your monitor perfect once you have managed to figure out all of these manual adjustments... Has anyone had any luck with this that could tell me if that is true or not?

Finally, I was wondering when you finally fix your overscan problem and then go play a game, the game readjusts your resolution when you play so that it overrides the overscan settings you made in the geforce drivers... How do you compensate for overscan once you are in a game? Inparticularly World of Warcraft....

Thanks for everyone's help.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2006, 18:07 

I have a 57" CRT Rear Projection WS HDTV
Native resolution is 1080i, but it accepts 480i/P, 720P.
I used powerstrip to build a resolution of 1168x656 ( I used the speed square in the advanced timings/custom resolutions, you drag a black box to find the size you want, I was in 720P mode when I did this).
When I dragged the black box it gave me a size of 1168x656(I wanted JUST a touch of overscan,remember at that time I did this I was using 1280x720 as my resolution, but it had overscan I was tryting to get rid of), I wrote the size down and clicked add new resolution, at which time it said I needed to restart to see if my ATi driver and monitor would accept the resolution.
I restarted the machine, when it booted back up(it was still in 1280x720) I went to settings/advanced and selected 1168x656 and it worked great.

As far as the GAME going back to overscanned resolutions, you will have to patch the game to the exact size you want, I used uniWS to set TW2K6 to use 1168x656 and it works fine with the little overscan I wanted.

EDIT: As far as text is concerned I use large icons for desktop, and increase text size in forums ( I use Firefox, under VIEW/text size).
I use my tv as my monitor now, text is a non-issue in 720P mode(60hz), 1080i is interlaced@30hz, so it flickers.

hth

gp

Post subject: LG Lafinion 72 29''
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2006, 20:18 

Hi! I just got an LG Lafinion 72. This model supports 1080i. I'm using it as my computer display. I tried using the highest resolution, but for some reason it doesn't fit on the tv screen. I tried using 1600 x 1200 (something like that) and know it does fit pretty well. The problem is text. Everything looks damn sweet on my TV, exept text. I tried changin the PPP option on the display settings to 170%, it looks better now, but it stills kinda hard to read on it. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2006, 22:09 
Founder
Founder

Tutorial: Viewing Image Quality-PC Monitor/TV/Consoles/DVD

How-To: Choosing WS Resolutions, Aspect Ratios, Screen Sizes

Tutorial: Types & Uses of Monitor Input Cables

Tutorial: Initializing Your Gaming PC Hardware & Software

Tutorial: Installing/Uninstalling GFX & Monitor Drivers