Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 Sep 2024, 14:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2007, 05:16 

Just got a handsome Samsung 244T, running in digital mode off my AGP Nvidia Geforce 6200. At the Windows XP desktop level I can select resolutions that work great with widescreen (proper aspect ratio and such so icons look correct, i just get more real estate width-wise than my previous normal CRT monitor).

However in Guild Wars I cannot select any widescreen compatible resolutions such as 1680x1050. I am only presented with normal resolutions like 1600x1200 or 1024x768, all of which make the screen look too tall and thin or too short and fat.

What am I missing? I cant find any way to "force" widescreen mode either inside GW or through my display or Nvidia control panels. Any help greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2007, 15:40 

First make sure you have the lastest video drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Then have a read of this, you may need to force some resolutions through the Nvidia control panel.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/6998

Hope that helps. :)

Post subject: closer!
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2007, 19:42 

Many thanks for the quick response!
I do have the latest drivers, but your second link about the Custom Timings really helps. I was able to create two 16:10 resolutions of 1680x1050 and 1280x800 and seem to work great in Guild Wars (everything looks proportional).

Now my only problem is that 1280 is a bit too blocky looking (worse than the 1280x1024 I was using before) but 1680 is a bit much for me poor ole 6200 to handle (looks ok, just slow).

I looked up some common widescreen resolution formats at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_resolutions and 1440x900 would seem to be the perfect fit for me. But for some reason when I try to create it or 1366×768 (16:9) the test it fails for both and won't let me save to the list of custom timings. I triple checked all the red and blue settings and they seem ok.

Any ideas why? Doesn't seem like it would be a hardware limitation since I can run at the higher 1680x1050 resolution.

Post subject: go figure....
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2007, 20:59 

Well, I played under 1680 for a bit, then without changing anything I exited the program and right clicked the NVidia tray icon to start mucking around with it some more. I didn't actually change anything, but heard the sound that I normally hear if I plug in a new plug'n'play device like a USB mouse, and the Screen Resolution submenu was all whacked out.. like only showed a few options and also only showed the arrow beside where it normally says "Screen Resolution" but that line was actually blank.

Very strange... so I clicked away, heard the USB sound again, clicked back on the NVidia icon again and the Screen Resolution menu was back and and viola!!! up shows some of the 16:10 sizes I was hoping to try, including 1440x900.

Guess I'll chalk it up to driver bugs (I did reboot after reinstalling the latest ones, so not sure what was up, but everything working great now...)

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 04:13 

Cool. :)

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2009, 14:40 

I'm going to resurrect this thread since my problem is along the same lines....

I just purchased Guild Wars Platinum (Guild Wars and Eye of the North in one box).

At single-monitor resolutions, up to 16801050 -- the game works perfect. It also works perfectly when run in a window.

When I switch to 5040x1050, I've got a weird issue with the GUI. The GUI dialog boxes will be displayed where they "should" be but all of the mouse-click interaction points are on the far left monitor. The first time this happened, I had to hunt and peck to figure out where I needed to click to get the game back into a "normal" resolution.

Is this a known issue? My rig works perfectly for all other surround gaming games that I play.

My specs:
Intel Core2Quad Q6700
4GB (4x1GB RAM)
Windows XP Pro (x64)
eVGA 8800 GTX 768 x2 (in SLI)
Matrox TH2Go DE
3x Samsung SyncMaster 2053BW

drivers: nVidia 180.23 and latest Matrox driver suite.