Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 12:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: star wars empire at war
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2006, 03:58 

downloaded the demo released today. seems to have native widescreen support

1920 x 1080 for me :) looks sweet

good game, cant wait for the retail to come out.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2006, 04:45 
Founder
Founder

Great. Feel free to post a Solutions thread for the Demo. If you can, snap a couple of screen shots, so we can see if the widescreen is due to Hor + or Ver -

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2006, 01:44 
Insiders
Insiders

My 2 cents on how this should be classified:

I would classify it as Native and Vert-, with a note that there is minor horizontal space lost. Even if you prefer the method that results in screen stretching, I feel the results of this method are not significantly different than simply playing it in 4:3 mode and letting the monitor stretch it for you, and that method is available to EVERY game.

Furthermore, any Vert - game can be upgraded to a perfect Hor + if a method of increasing the FOV is discovered. This is not the case with stretch games. Just try increasing the FOV of Max Payne 1&2 to see what I mean; you get a distorted mess.

If there are no objections to any of this, the next time I submit an MGL update, Star Wars: Empire at War will be listed as Native Vert-.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2006, 15:00 

Hi how have you started the game.

I have a Apple Display 20" and a GeForce 7800 GTX Extreme an after I start the game the Empire at war screen the game crash.

mfg

mike

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2006, 22:51 

Odd, as this is one of the most flexible games I've seen so far when it comes down to resolutions (going from 5:4 to 16:9 back and forth). Do hope though that the retail version (or a patch) will make it a Hor+. Who needs a Vert-?? If I wanted to see less / bigger...I can zoom in on 5:4 just fine :?

Try closing down some background programs, maybe there's one that interferes.
A friend of mine can't start the demo because it complains about some piece of software that has to do with disc emulation (safedisc, etc.) :shock: . It's a DEMO, it doesn't NEED a disc...still it won't go...oh well; his problem, I'm playing 8)

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2006, 23:51 
Insiders
Insiders

A friend of mine can't start the demo because it complains about some piece of software that has to do with disc emulation (safedisc, etc.) :shock: . It's a DEMO, it doesn't NEED a disc...still it won't go...oh well; his problem, I'm playing 8)

I believe your friend. Disc emulators are commonly used for piracy, and certain publishers think they can fight piracy by making their games not work if disc emus are detected. These devices get distributed in demos too.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2006, 00:37 

I believe your friend. Disc emulators are commonly used for piracy, and certain publishers think they can fight piracy by making their games not work if disc emus are detected. These devices get distributed in demos too.

True, but that's also a huge assumption by publishers. I use Alcohol to store images of CD's and DVD's i've produced (work related). It's a no-fuss way of burning. However I too have had this problem with legitimate games detecting emulators (Raven Shield from memory). In the end it forced me to find a crack to bypass it because I wasn't prepared to uninstall something i use for work. Really clever game publishers -- you force people to use cracks & pirate versions.

Anyway, before this turns into piracy rant, back to the topic of the Star Wars demo

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2006, 14:31 

I believe your friend.
I do too, just that..
These devices get distributed in demos too.

I didn't know that. And it was just a suggestion to a solution...

tried driver version 81.89? I'm using 81.95 myself on a 6800Ultra no problems whatsoever (any game).

On topic:
And speaking of the game...what do think of the techtree, how the Rebels and the Empire differ?
I like it when there's different ways of playing, instead of just some colorchange and a few buildings. Hope it works out the way they intended it (can't really say yet...as you can't play Empire in the demo)
It's one of the things that kept me hooked to StarCraft (Zerg / Terran / Protoss, especially zerg, plays very different)