Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Sep 2024, 12:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2006, 00:11 

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/

What about FOV ? Does FOV automatically, and proportionally increase with aspect ratio increase ?

If FOV doesn't get altered automatically according to aspect ratio change, can it be manually altered in the option.ini ?

PowerK - there doesn't appear to be any stretching or squashing. I haven't played it extensively in 4:3 vs. 16:10, so I don't know if the camera is zoomed in, or if it just adds peripheral details.

Yes. There is stretching.

I recently built my first highend gaming rig, including a 20"widescreen monitor - Native resolution 1680x1050. So I'm very new to widescreen gaming, the terminology, etc.

I can get BFME2 to run in 1680x1050 with a command line in the shortcut just fine. My problem is this accomplishes absolutely nothing for me. What I see on my screen is exactly what I see in 1024x768: A stretched out, fat display of the game.

So theres less "jaggies" in a high res? Who cares how crisp the picture is when the picture itself is distorted horizontally! Thats like framing a piece of toilet paper in a million dollar gilded frame and saying everything is ok.

Am I way off here? Shouldn't highres gaming act the same as a highres windows desktop? When you move from 1024 to 1268, the windows GUI/icons get smaller, and you see more.

I'm at a loss for words...

Help? :(

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2006, 01:55 
Editors
Editors

Hi and welcome to the forum. Take a look at this thread. That´s the BFME2 demo thread.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2006, 09:49 
Editors
Editors

Yeah ... check out that link/thread Bongo posted ... but ... there doesn't seem to be a solution that gives true WS ... just a higher res ... :(

With reference to ...
So theres less "jaggies" in a high res? Who cares how crisp the picture is when the picture itself is distorted horizontally! Thats like framing a piece of toilet paper in a million dollar gilded frame and saying everything is ok.
You can't tell me that 800x600 stretched to fit a monitor is as good as 1920x1200 native resolution all be it with a stretched view ... :shock:
I really care about the crispness of the picture and if I have to have it stretched. ... I would much prefer a higher res stretched picture without jaggies than a lower res stretched picture with jaggies.
IMO ... that toilet paper would look much better displayed with less jaggies ... regardless of the frame ... :wink:

Am I way off here? Shouldn't highres gaming act the same as a highres windows desktop? When you move from 1024 to 1268, the windows GUI/icons get smaller, and you see more.
Yeah things "should" work as you say but many games manufacturers don't seem to implement widescreen the correct way ... which is why the WSGF is here ... to try to help people get their games to look as near to true widescreen as we can. Part of that is getting the widescreen resolution if not the FOV as most people prefer games with less jaggies even if they can't have the wider view as it is a step in the right direction.

Take a look at the screenshot in particular the Half Life 2 screens to see what should be happening when you get true widescreen support ... i.e. you should get a wider view ... here ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/screenshots.php

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2006, 06:43 

I added "-xres 1920 -yres 1200" onto the shortcut for BFME2 (as suggested in the EA technical forums).

PLEASE NOTE:

* The menus and in-game HUD are stretched.

* The game itself is not stretched, despite what people say.

However, it doesn't add extra peripheral viewing; it just crops the top off.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2006, 15:59 

AM I playing a different game? 1680x1050, same as desktop by changing options.ini file. Everything looks WS to me, nothing streched , text/menu all normal. Not sure about FOV.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2006, 16:11 
Editors
Editors

Posting screens of different res and format would be nice so we could see for ourselves instead of reading two different things. Even if a game is not stretched it can still have some stuff chopped off to get there wich isn´t a true WS support. Check out HL2 for true support. Give us some more in-depth info. Check out this thread and get back with info: Template: Detailed report

Maybe complementing this: Solution: LOTR: The Battle for Middle-earth II [Edit] [Res]

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2006, 01:25 

yea the solution on the page above works fine for me. BfmE2 looks freaking amazing it 1680x1050. I didnt think my 7800gs would run it well at that high of resolution but it did fine with settings maxed but no aa/af (not like any of that was needed).

Post subject: Maybe Solution
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2006, 20:04 

Hi everybody.

I have a widescreen display at 1680*1050 and I like to play in this resolution.

I play at BFME2 and I find mini-solution. I have 1.04 patch. and it's works on some maps, not all of them

I add on option.ini :
Resolution = 1680 1050
MaxCameraHeight = 610

the maxcameraheight is for FOV. I copying setting findid for C&C general on this forum and it's working

If I launch the skirmish game it will be stretched. I save the skirmish game, exit the map and charging it. The game is now on widescreen native resolution (1680*1050 for me) but if you zoom, you can't go before.

I played on skirmish map and on widescreen resolution it's amazing. So if I can play on widescreen, I think someone can find a definitive solution.

Please test it and give me feedback

Sorry for my language but english isn't my native "resolution"
:oops:

Post subject: Re: Maybe Solution
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2006, 01:32 

Hi everybody.

I have a widescreen display at 1680*1050 and I like to play in this resolution.

I play at BFME2 and I find mini-solution. I have 1.04 patch. and it's works on some maps, not all of them

I add on option.ini :
Resolution = 1680 1050
MaxCameraHeight = 610

the maxcameraheight is for FOV. I copying setting findid for C&C general on this forum and it's working

If I launch the skirmish game it will be stretched. I save the skirmish game, exit the map and charging it. The game is now on widescreen native resolution (1680*1050 for me) but if you zoom, you can't go before.

I played on skirmish map and on widescreen resolution it's amazing. So if I can play on widescreen, I think someone can find a definitive solution.

Please test it and give me feedback

Sorry for my language but english isn't my native "resolution"
:oops:

I'll have to reinstall this game and give it whirl and see what I find.

By the way, your english is quite good. Better than most Americans that I see posting in forums.