Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 08:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2004, 22:54 

I know the original Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos does, just with a stretched HUD/user interface, but does the expansion?

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2004, 00:18 
Editors
Editors

Yup. :)

I don't have one installed without the other. ;)

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2004, 00:26 

Cool, thanks!

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2005, 14:05 

wait... no it doesnt.. how?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2006, 20:47 

I was quite happy with this fix, (although technically it's stretched, at 1680x1050 it still looks very much like the non-stretched 1280x1024) until I came across a problem.

It wasn't noticeable for a while, but now it definitely is.
I am assuming everyone who uses this registry fix is having this problem, since I cannot imagine why I would be the only one.

If your WC3/TFT res is modified in the registry, after starting warcraft and then switching to your desktop (win key or alt+tab) and returning the CPU sky rockets to a constant 100% usage, increasing power drain and heat output dramatically.
CPU-Usage does not drop even 1% until warcraft is restarted, and after you've alt tabbed once it throttles again.

I've contacted blizzard about this, minus the fact that I've modified the registry in hope for finding a fix. (I did not inform them or they would have immediately discontinued the support ticket because I modified something)
If no solution presents itself I plan to reveal that I 'tricked' them, and perhaps they will be so merciful as to further support me!

Any of you aware of this / know any solutions?

p.s. if you don't believe me try for yourself.
open task manager > cpu graph so that when you then switch to desktop after being in wc3 for awhile you will see how the graph drops.

also note: if you don't switch to desktop after starting warcraft the cpu will not jump to full usage at all (unless loading, or, for weaker PCs it might have always been working full-time, but still abnormal)

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2006, 20:02 

bump
- anyone?

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2006, 23:11 

Just out of curiousity, why are you alt-tabbing out? Most games I've played don't like to be alt-tabbed out of but I think that's more of a Direct X issue than anything else. As a general rule I never alt-tab out of a game because more often then not something gets screwed up when I do.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2006, 19:18 

Just out of curiousity, why are you alt-tabbing out? Most games I've played don't like to be alt-tabbed out of but I think that's more of a Direct X issue than anything else. As a general rule I never alt-tab out of a game because more often then not something gets screwed up when I do.

with 2gb of ram alt tabbing is no problem.

i have run things in the backround that i check up on a lot, for example teamspeak, trillian and itunes.
i alt tab to:

reply to IMs I get on trillian
skip a song in itunes
switch channels in teamspeak

+ various other things.

I'll often take a break of playing and leave warcraft runnig and connected to battle.net.
when ir eturn to my PC i won't want to jump right back to wc3 rigth away and will check an email or what not

i alt tab all the time

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2006, 19:47 

no i don't have the CPU problem you are talking about

mine works fine, regardless, if i jump back and forth between the game and other background apps i run or not.

i'm using ATI,

perhaps if your drivers thing, or something else.

i do have the registry set to 1440x900

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(2x), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(2x), Seagate 3TB(6x), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5