Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 04:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 May 2004, 00:58 

Update : The game has been released and i have purchased it and installed it on my laptop and HTPC (HDTV + computer) and it supports widescreen perfectly. I am currently working through the single player campaign on my HDTV using a gamepad mapped to all the controls. Its nirvana (but this type of game is my favorite).

Go get it now... or at least try the single/multiplayer demo(s)!

---------------------------------------------

An amazing single player demo has been released and it supports widescreen without any hacks and looks great.

Heres some screenshots and a link to download :
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/31984

The graphics in this game are amazing, from the shimmering water to the foiliage and high resolution textures, to the amazing camera system. The game pushes the gf5600 in my laptop, but it seems to be very playable with all graphic options at max (except i have fsaa and anistropic filtering set to none), and im running at a resolution of 1440x900.

The game looks very polished and is definately on my must-get list, but be warned the management of the complex camera system to navigate the huge landscapes and maps (while a bonus for rts gamers like me) can be dizzying to casual gamers. This advanced camera lets you do anything... you can even zoom in ground level to get a feel for actually being there.

There is a lot of depth (literally as well as figuratively) and the demo seems very polished and contains a thorough tutorial. Its amazing to see the 3d power my laptop is capable of.

The game is scheduled to be released 'summer 2004'

PostPosted: 26 May 2004, 20:52 
Editors
Editors

The game is scheduled to be released 'summer 2004'

Let's hope.

I remember when the demo of Imperium Galactica 3 came out: supported widescreen (at a time when I didn't have a widescreen PC, and the only real way to have widescreen was use a Matrox Parhelia) and looked lovely a polished. I was certain it was going to be released when due, but it quickly got pushed back and back... :(

I guess we all know this story. ;)

But yes, this does look very impressive.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2004, 12:22 

Well they just released a multiplayer demo featuring three online maps in case anyone wants to try it out. It also supports widescreen and still looks and runs great :

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=5061

According to this post, the game has just gone gold meaning they are done and preparing for distribution :
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/32189

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2004, 19:22 

Update : The game has been released and i have purchased it and installed it on my laptop and HTPC (HDTV + computer) and it supports widescreen perfectly. I am currently working through the single player campaign on my HDTV using a gamepad mapped to all the controls. Its nirvana (but this type of game is my favorite).

Go get it now... or at least try the single/multiplayer demo(s)!

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2004, 23:29 
Editors
Editors

I promised myself no new games until I had my Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition sitting in my comp... (I can dream, can't I? :lol: )

...Unfortunately, that may have to change if the game is as good as the demo indicates... :D

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: 06 May 2005, 19:28 
Editors
Editors

Well, I finally got around to playing GCII on a widescreen system... it's fine except it doesn't offer any res higher than 1600x1024. That's no 1680x1050 on a 1680x1050 screen. :(

What it would offer on WUXGA, I don't know. Any of you Dell 2405 owners have Ground Control II?

PostPosted: 09 May 2005, 11:37 

you might try applying the gc2 patches (or revert to unpatched version if you already patched).

Also if this is notebook with nvidia, you might to try a different driver from the lapvideotogo site.

I remember widescreen working fine for me until i applied a patch and then it would tell me my geforce56002go wasnt detected as a valid 3d accelerator, reverting back to cd version and widescreen was fine again. I think they fixed that though because i remember playing with 'slim' gui mode (feature released in 1 of the patches) and playing it widescreen.

PostPosted: 09 May 2005, 21:13 
Editors
Editors

I've tried it both with and without the patches - although I didn't stay at 1.007, since it crashed for some inexplicable reason. It's an ATi graphics chip - well, I might try a bit more in the way of diagnostics when I've got some more time: I've got more than enough on my plate right now as it is. ;)

Thanks for your comments. :)

Post subject: Re: Update
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2005, 16:37 

Any of you Dell 2405 owners have Ground Control II?

Yep. Works great at 1920x1200, and the resolution menu has 1360x768 and 1280x720 as well.

FreeSpace Liveth!

www.hard-light.net

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2005, 18:50 
Editors
Editors

Great. I forgot all about this - talk about a thread resurrection! :lol:

With a 64MB graphics card, 1600x1024 is the max widescreen res - with a 128MB or greater, it allows higher res's. Sensible. :)