Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 22:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2005, 18:29 

I"m pretty new to the whole widescreen thing. My question is, by modifying files within BF2 to get WS, will i have any trouble getting kicked from servers for modded files. I participate in league competition and they monitor that stuff pretty closely.
Any chance BF2 will support WS fully in the future?

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2005, 03:10 

Ok here's my problem - I just bought a 2405fpw and got it up and running today. I had a 21" Viewsonic running before that and I had BF2 running with zero problems on it.

I install the new monitor and I can't even start BF2 up. I continuously get kicked back to the desktop. So I tried running in windowed mode and this is the error I see:

I un-installed BF2, re-installed it with no changes. I can't even get into the game. This all happened after I installed the new monitor.

I even un-installed the drivers, ran Driver Cleaner Pro, booted in safe mode, ran Driver Cleaner Pro again and installed the BF2 beta drivers. (this is all after I did a fresh install of BF2). I still have no luck getting into the game.

I've tried all the other games I have installed (HL2, UT2K4) and am able to play with zero problems.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'm at a loss :(

Your problem is your profile, which is located in My DocumentsBattlefield2 DemoProfiles001 folder called video.con When you ran your 21 inch monitor, you set your default res to fairly high, so when you try to load the game again, it reads that file and tries to load it with dell monitor, which gives you an error. Therefore, reinstalling the game, graphics driver, etc won't help, because you are not touching the real file where information is read from. To fix it, erase video.con file and the game will rivert you to the default and you can set it to 1024x768 and use a res hack specified above to run it at 1680x1050 resolution.

BF2 has been made by cavemen, cavemen who don't know about a big boom of wide screen monitors. Thus the lack of native support for the wide screen. Any other game has that ability, except the pretender for game of the year game....shame.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2005, 03:14 

I appologize for posting a solution too late, I haven't read page 6 before posting my post above. Well now you know to wait a day or two before reinstalling windows :)

To answer another thread, no it will not ban you from any server. You are not modifying any file, just stretching the video output of the game. Dell 2004FPW is a wonderful monitor, Dice will come out with a fix sooner or later, but I wouldn't recommend going back to CRT just because the game doesn't support WS natively. I love my 2004FPW, I have two of them and thinking of getting a new one.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2005, 07:33 

[quote]Ok here's my problem - I just bought a 2405fpw and got it up and running today. I had a 21" Viewsonic running before that and I had BF2 running with zero problems on it.

I install the new monitor and I can't even start BF2 up. I continuously get kicked back to the desktop. So I tried running in windowed mode and this is the error I see:

I un-installed BF2, re-installed it with no changes. I can't even get into the game. This all happened after I installed the new monitor.

I even un-installed the drivers, ran Driver Cleaner Pro, booted in safe mode, ran Driver Cleaner Pro again and installed the BF2 beta drivers. (this is all after I did a fresh install of BF2). I still have no luck getting into the game.

I've tried all the other games I have installed (HL2, UT2K4) and am able to play with zero problems.

Hmm...I just ordered this same monitor from Dell (2405) it hasn't shipped yet. Are you saying that even with a brand new fresh unaltered install of BF2 it won't even launch? With sz values of
1920 and 1200, the shortcut fix works but only for my 23" apple cinema
monitor which is same native res as your Dell 24". That is, other values
like 1680x1050 don't work, game won't launch, no error message.
Also, I have a 61" Samsung DLP TV wit 1280x720 native res.
On that monitor, the shortcut fix does not work, game won't launch,
go figure.

Do other games run OK on your new Dell 24"?

Jeff
PS...the game looks incredible at 1920x1200, definitely worth the trouble
of the fix.

Yes, all games I had previous to installing my monitor worked. BF2 was the only game I had a problem with and after I re-installed windows the problem was fixed. The little trick with changing the resolution also works great, so you should be ok. But you MIGHT have to re-install windows if you already have BF2 installed unless you can figure out what problem I was having.

Now I saw the post above talking about where the problem was:

"Your problem is your profile, which is located in My DocumentsBattlefield2 DemoProfiles001 folder called video.con.."

Here's the only problem with that - I did a clean re-install of BF2 twice and was still having this problem. I also made sure all of the folders (including those in the my documents folder) were deleted. I was thinking that the resolution problem was maybe somewhere deep in the registry and I didn't want to spend hours trying to dig to find. It only took me about 2 hours to re-install and get everything running. Plus I have a clean install so that's nice. :)

Now I could easily be wrong I just didn't know what else to do to fix the problem. After cleaning every possible BF2 folder out and doing a clean re-install I figured the problem was in the registry. All I know is that it works now and I love it!

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2005, 19:35 

Hi, sLaM. :D

VGH

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2005, 19:51 

All I know is that it works now and I love it!

Glad you got it to work.
I was heart broken when I first launched this demo
and found that I could only go to 1024x768. What a
diff hi res makes!
The only reason I looked into getting the Dell 2405 was as
a fix to the problem, I had been blaming the prob on my
Apple 23" LCD monitor. Now, I have to decide whether or not
to cancel my order with Dell since I'm perfectly happy
with my Apple. How would you rate the pic quality
(or anything else) on the Dell 24"? pros/cons?

Jeff

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2005, 00:17 

I had a 21" Viewsonic before this monitor. I loved my CRT but I didn't know how clear a picture could be until I got this 2405.

Gaming has zero ghosting - it's incredibly responsive. As far as your desktop picture, it's been very nice so far. There's only been 2 things that kinda of bothered me and one was easily fixible.

The brightness on the 2405 seemed to be pretty dark when I first got it so I had to crank that up and once I did it was fine. The other is kind of weird.

I do a lot of stuff in photoshop - and I've been working on a skin for pokerstars for a bit.

Now when I open up this picture in photoshop on my 21" Viewsonic, the gradient looks fine.

But when I try and edit this with my 2405fpw, I get a weird green in my gradient.

Now I'm new with LCD's so maybe there's just a slight difference in how gradients come across, but it struck me as weird. That's been the only thing I have been unsure of, other than that I am loving this monitor.

And Hi Bounty :D

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2005, 00:44 

Ok here's my problem - I just bought a 2405fpw and got it up and running today. I had a 21" Viewsonic running before that and I had BF2 running with zero problems on it.

I have this EXACT same problem. I am trying to run 1280x720. But even if I set the res to 800x600, it still doesnt work. I always get kicked back to the desktop. Even in windowed mode. 1280x720 is the native resolution of my projector, and I am wondering if the problem is because BF2 is trying to force my projector to display 1024x768 (the default), which it cant. So it just kicks me back to the desktop. This was a problem with Half Life 2 as well... but they fixed it right away. Dice really needs to make a utility so you can choose your gfx options before you start the game. I think that would fix the problem. (as well as fully support widescreen)

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2005, 16:55 

I have the Dell 2005fpw. From what I'm reading so far, BF2 doesnt have a solid WS solution yet. It brings me to this question:

what happens if you just run it in regular mode (not stretching), you have black bars on the sides? Doesn't it still look good? I'm fairly new to this WS gaming stuff so please excuse my rookieness. I thought the Dell widescreen monitors had an option to not stretch the picture if the game wasn't in widescreen mode and basically deliver a 4:3 picture if the game didn't support a WS option.

thanks for any info.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2005, 20:18 
Editors
Editors

@ Seawolf ...

You are correct ... BF2 doesn't have a solid WS solution yet .... :(
That said and with regard to ...
... run it in regular mode (not stretching), ...
... the view is not stretched by the hack... only the radar/HUD is stretched ... which is quite often the case for widescreen games.
Yeah ... the top and bottom are a little cut off ... don't get me wrong ... I wish it had a better FOV rather than chopping the top and bottom off ... BUT it is very VERY playable in widescreen ... You can see from the comparison screenshots on page 2 and 4 of this thread it looks OK in widescreen.

Also if you have the Dell 2005fpw ... why don't you download the demo and try it for yourself ? .... :wink: ... It's the only way you are really going to know.

As for black bars or not as the case may be ... I think that you will find that whether you can have them or not is down to the graphics card and or the drivers you are using as well as the monitor ... so download the demo and try it .... :D

You can get the demo here .... http://www.3dgamers.com/games/battlefield2/downloads/

I hope this helps ... :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 44  Next