Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 18:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 22:15 

Wait? Is the patch out?

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 22:22 

[quote]the way the patched game will work is those with 4:3 screens won't see any difference. Those with 16:10 will see more to the left and right with the same vert resolution, and those with 16:9 will se even more still. Based on their own screenshots that seems to be what they were planning all along.

This is the opposite for BioShock 2.

If you use 16:9 already, you won't see any difference. If you use 16:10 or 4:3, you'll be seeing less than you do currently.

If you look at this one, notice how much more is visible on the top and bottom compared to 16:9.

Also take notice of the helmet position in the lower-left.

Now look at the helmet position here. The helmet position for 16:9 is the same.

The 4:3 view is now cropped on the top and bottom. It's also cropped on the left and right.

(The text is also backwards for 16:10 and 16:9)

Also, ignore the exact position of the red rectangles, you can tell they were just drawn quickly and not accurate. The intention is clear.

So you can see that if you use 16:9 already, nothing will change for you post-patch. If you use 4:3 or 16:10, you will now see less. :)

The good news is that triplehead should now see more, but I don't know about the HUD.

Ehh? I still don't follow your logic. By looking at the post patch image, it looks like 16:10 will get the most viewable picture as that is the biggest box in the picture. If not, then I think that representation on the picture was made illogically.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 22:42 

Those pictures on the bioshock website dont make any sense. 16:9 vs 16:10 shouldnt allow you to see more the horizontally, only vertically, yet in their picture, 16:10 has more horizontal viewable area but the same vertical height practically as 16:9. Whats goin on? 2k doesnt seem to know anything about widescreen :hide

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 00:52 

Dopefish the 16:9 screenshot they used for that example is obviously prepatch. 16:9 could get wider depending on how they implement it, which is largely up to the soul programmer that has it assigned to him.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 04:05 

I think the community is going to be confused when they do release the patch for it, though. They're saying widescreen will see more/expand horizontally, but the problem is that if you use 16:9 already, it's correct. After they release the patch, 16:9 will look exactly the same as before. People who use 16:10 are now going to see both less horizontally and vertically, and 4:3 users will see even less than that. I think the wording will just confuse people upon release.

If this is the case, and I agree with you that the pictures suggest this is what happens, then that stays consistent with the idea that 16:9 is the baseline FOV, and that aspect as it currently appears on all 3 platforms, is the intended FOV.

the only people the patch would help, is multi monitor users. while at the same time, punishing standard screen users. which I'm not sure is really any better. they've just flipped who gets less and who gets more. if they're gonna bother to patch the game, why not make it Vert+ for narrow than 16:9 users, and Hor+ for wider than 16:9 users? nobody gets any less than intended

however, if 4:3's vertical FOV is used as the baseline and everything wider actually gets wider after the patch, then PC's 16:9 will have more FOV than the console versions. would they also get patched?

I really just want to know from them whether current 16:9 (which is same on all platforms) is what they intended, or if they're saying it's a mistake.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 05:10 

soul programmer

Even God uses outsourcing.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 04:12 
Insiders
Insiders

Patch released today.

No mention of an FOV fix :(

* Fixed accepting a game invite on the Multiplayer Menu via Friend Invite causing a crash.
* Fixed a black screen that would occur minimizing and restoring the game in Windows 7.
* Fixed the ability to adopt or harvest Little Sisters after rebinding the ‘F’ or ‘B’ keys to Zoom, Fire or Fire Plasmid.
* Fixed Big Daddy HUD elements remaining on screen when not appropriate.
* Fixed an issue where the player’s plasmid hand would become unresponsive if they pressed the Next Plasmid key immediately after firing any chargeable plasmid (such as ElectroBolt 2).
* Fixed a potential save file issue.
* Fixed an issue where the resolution would change on its own if entering gameplay in a 16:10 resolution on a native 16:10 monitor.
* Fixed a problem where if you were running the game in a resolution higher than your desktop resolution the mouse cursor wouldn’t be able to go across the whole screen.
* Fixed an issue in Windows 7 where certain Radio messages could become scrambled or broken after defeating a Big Sister if Voice audio had been turned down or muted previously.
* Fixed a crash while playing Dionysus Park on a 32-bit machine.
* Fixed a crash that would occur sometimes loading a previous manual save made before any present QuickSave.
* Fixed a crash while signing in to GFWL when running compatibility mode for XP SP2 while running Vista.
* Fixed an issue where you couldn’t play audio diaries in certain areas.
* Fixed a rare crash that could occur any time before a specific Big Sister sequence.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 07:38 

It was a pre-launch patch that came out a few days late, I don't think they knew of the issue before they put it in for certification.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 07:50 
Insiders
Insiders

So they had a second chance to remember hor+? Haw haw.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 11:10 

So they had a second chance to remember hor+? Haw haw.

Well they said the FOV was screwed up at the last minute, so it is believable that it was not seen before the patch was sent in for certification. Microsoft charges them for every patch they release as well, so I am sure it will be a while for number 2 while they pack as much as they can into it.

We're not even sure the game will end up Hor+ at the end of it all either.

The Borderlands-style hack works great though, the game even saves the hack button being pressed when you quit and relaunch the game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next