Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 14:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2008, 20:08 

<> wrote: Well if enough people report this as a bug or something unwanted why would they not change it?

I'm just saying don't expect anything, I doubt they look at it as a real concern.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2008, 22:42 

@ Stevedroid
Sorry the tool is behaving this way for you ... as you say it could be your Steam version ... the tool certainly doesn't behave erratically for me.
It was never designed to remove the pixelization some are experiencing ... it is just a bonus that some found it helped.

Oh I totally understand, but I'm really jealous of the people for whom it is removing the pixelization issue. :)

Again, I'm not totally sure how Racer_S's hacks work. My guess is they're either:
a) A memory hack that modify values in memory based on some offset that Racer_S figures out. Essentially an automated ArtMoney hack.

b) A DirectX wrapper that intercepts and changes calls to DirectX viewport functions.

If it's (a), it would be heavily dependent on having the correct memory offsets - and actually could cause big trouble if it's touching the wrong values. It's not improbable that the Steam version might have a slightly different layout in memory - slight enough that sometimes it modifies the correct memory values, but not other times.

I'd also throw out a guess that that's why people with the no-cd version are having troubles too. The executable is modified so the layout in memory might be a bit different as a result.

I'm not sure if there's a way Racer_S can track down the memory offsets in a more dynamic manner, or if he would simply need track down and add options for every different flavor of the game.

------

<>: What version of the game do you have? Steam or retail or "other" (shame, shame)? Are you using a no-CD patch?

Are you sure the key isn't the step that you active the hack before you start the game? This had not occurred to me, I figured the hack wouldn't even intercept the key press if the game had not been started, but I'll have to try it out.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2008, 23:17 
Editors
Editors

I dunno how Racer_S does it ...
I am using the reloaded noCD/DVD from game copy world.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2008, 00:36 

Are you sure the key isn't the step that you active the hack before you start the game? This had not occurred to me, I figured the hack wouldn't even intercept the key press if the game had not been started, but I'll have to try it out.

Whoa, it seems that might be it. I pressed * before starting the game, and it seemed to work correctly then. Even enabling/disabling within the game worked, with the pixelization showing and then disappearing based on whether the hack was disabled/enabled.

---update---

Tested a bunch more times and that's totally it. You have to press * before you even start the game.

Racer_S is getting a donation as soon as his sight is unhacked (seriously what assholes, why would anyone hack his site).

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2008, 17:20 
Editors
Editors

I have a 5 year old 17" Dell E171FPb LCD monitor.

I have tried everyone's suggestions and cannot remove the black bars.
My resolution is 1280x1024 with a 75Hz refresh rate.
My aspect ratio is 5:4.
I am not sure where to place the Aspect Ratio bar at.
What number am I to use?

I open the tool, press * (asterisk).
I open AC (Windows XP SP2 x86 DX9).
The black bars are there.
Start the tool ...
I understand (but haven't checked for myself) that for 1280x1024 you should set the aspect ratio in the tool to ... 0.7984 ...
Leave Top and Left at 0
Input your res in Right and Bottom ...
Use the radial button/check mark for your version of the game ...
Leave the tool running ...
Start AC ...
Once it is up in the menu or in the game press the * key on your number pad

If for any reason the graphics get messed up going from menu to in-game or back ... just disable the tool with the / key on the number pad and re enable it with the * key ... that should sort out the messed up graphics.

... 8)

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2008, 23:03 

There's a fix for the blurry-scanline-ish problem people are having at 1680x1050; you'll still have black bars, but the scaling issue will be gone and you'll have a nice clear screen. This is a quick guide for making the necessary adjustments in Nvidia's drivers, I'm not sure of the method (or if this is possible at all) with ATi's drivers.

1. Right click the desktop and cselect "NVIDIA Control Panel".
2. Under "Display" select the "Change Flat Panel Scaling" sheet.
3. Set the scaling mode to "Use NVIDIA Scaling with Fixed Aspect Ratio". Click Apply.
4. Under "Display" select the "Manage Custom Resolutions" sheet.
5. Click "Create". Set "Horizontal Desktop Pixels" to 1680. Set "Vertical Desktop Pixels" to 945. Click "Test" and the custom resolution will be added.
6. Launch Assassin's Creed and set your screen resolution to 1680x945.

This feeds Assassin's Creed a 16:9 resolution, so the game removes the black bars and leaves the scaling up to the drivers (which is why we just changed the scaling mode to keep the game from being stretched vertically).

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 06:32 

It's not stretching the image vertically, take a closer look, it's actually making the FOV smaller to match your monitor's aspect ratio. If it were simply being stretched vertically, everything would look taller on the full screen shot, but it doesn't, you just lose stuff off the sides because your aspect ratio is narrower.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 09:19 
Editors
Editors

This has been split from the Assassin's Creed: Detailed Report to keep the DR on topic.
Some posts referred to both the pixelization issue and the anamorphic bars ...
I did my best to split the topic to reflect the various issues ... sorry if this has affected your posts.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 09:35 
Editors
Editors

Leapo ... I copied this post of yours to the ... Assassin's Creed Discussion

There's a fix for the blurry-scanline-ish problem people are having at 1680x1050; you'll still have black bars, but the scaling issue will be gone and you'll have a nice clear screen. This is a quick guide for making the necessary adjustments in Nvidia's drivers, I'm not sure of the method (or if this is possible at all) with ATi's drivers.

1. Right click the desktop and cselect "NVIDIA Control Panel".
2. Under "Display" select the "Change Flat Panel Scaling" sheet.
3. Set the scaling mode to "Use NVIDIA Scaling with Fixed Aspect Ratio". Click Apply.
4. Under "Display" select the "Manage Custom Resolutions" sheet.
5. Click "Create". Set "Horizontal Desktop Pixels" to 1680. Set "Vertical Desktop Pixels" to 945. Click "Test" and the custom resolution will be added.
6. Launch Assassin's Creed and set your screen resolution to 1680x945.

This feeds Assassin's Creed a 16:9 resolution, so the game removes the black bars and leaves the scaling up to the drivers (which is why we just changed the scaling mode to keep the game from being stretched vertically).

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 15:32 

So Ubisoft is working on a patch that will fix some bugs and glitches.
They also want to re implement Direct X 10.1. Apparently under Vista SP1 is somehow skips a render pass giving a higher frame rate of 20%.
Anyway I wonder if they will fix the pixelation and also if they will provide proper 16:10. And maybe a little better performance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next