Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Aug 2024, 15:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229 ... 302  Next
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 18:32 
Administrators
Administrators

I understand the flaw with open source is quality control... Thanks to all for continuing to support wide-screen patches. Personally, I don't like the idea of running an executable called "Cheat Engine" while running Steam... which is why I haven't played Skyrim in over a month (sorry Helifax) ...it's just a name, but it seems a bit, eh, dirty.

Creat Engine is just a tool to do the same thing most of these fixers use, and that is to open up the program while its in memory and ether injecting or changing the code or data of the exe while its running. The fixers are just very specific tools created to fix XYZ game easily by doing the memory editing for you, while cheat engine is just a tool to read, search and edit the memory of any running program.

Cheat Engine is called as such because it was originally created to make trainers, it just happens it can also be used to make the fixes we use here.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 22:26 

the fixer isnt working for me. it says something that i have a 2.0 version and need a 2.1 version any help?

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 23:34 

I understand the flaw with open source is quality control... Thanks to all for continuing to support wide-screen patches. Personally, I don't like the idea of running an executable called "Cheat Engine" while running Steam... which is why I haven't played Skyrim in over a month (sorry Helifax) ...it's just a name, but it seems a bit, eh, dirty.

from my experience open source usually leads to quicker patches, more community involvement, feedback, and better technical help, for the few that understand whats going on, they can lend valuable advice and input or just fix it themselves.

the ONLY TRUE PROBLEM with open source is others can build on what you started and might get more credit because they make it better
**even though in open source GNU / GPL licencing you MUST give credit to anyone who's project/code/ect you use in yours and the licence must transfer to your code...

only for example... if haydens fix was open source project, someone would have made an updated fix while hayden was in NZ, and everyone would have been like " OMFG!! thank you for this..." and all he did was make the adjustments...

the only reason hayden's fix is taking so long after coming back from NZ is he started a new multi game system from scratch...

AMD FX8320 - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX

Alphacool and Heatkiller Watercooling

16GB Patriot DDR3 - HIS R9 280x & 7950 Crossfired

NZXT H440 - Razer Naga Epic - 4320x900 3x Samsung 940Bw

Corsair Ax1000i - Logitech DiNovo Edge & G13

============================================

Post subject: TRusselo wrote:kilmoor
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 00:28 

[quote]I understand the flaw with open source is quality control... Thanks to all for continuing to support wide-screen patches. Personally, I don't like the idea of running an executable called "Cheat Engine" while running Steam... which is why I haven't played Skyrim in over a month (sorry Helifax) ...it's just a name, but it seems a bit, eh, dirty.

from my experience open source usually leads to quicker patches, more community involvement, feedback, and better technical help, for the few that understand whats going on, they can lend valuable advice and input or just fix it themselves.

the ONLY TRUE PROBLEM with open source is others can build on what you started and might get more credit because they make it better
**even though in open source GNU / GPL licencing you MUST give credit to anyone who's project/code/ect you use in yours and the licence must transfer to your code...

only for example... if haydens fix was open source project, someone would have made an updated fix while hayden was in NZ, and everyone would have been like " OMFG!! thank you for this..." and all he did was make the adjustments...

the only reason hayden's fix is taking so long after coming back from NZ is he started a new multi game system from scratch...

QFT

I have respect for coders that take time to help, but if this were open source.. this forum would be like 4 pages long, and we'd have a fix within a day of any patches.

And no offense, but stating quality control as a reason for closed source is a pretty weak argument. Examples are too numerous to list, but would include Wordpress, Firefox, Android, Ubuntu, MySql, Fedora, 7-zip, Blender, Thunderbird, Wikipedia, Eclipse, PHP, Python, Perl, etc, etc. These are just some of the great open source projects that easily trump their closed source competitors.

Perhaps some incentive, some compensation for the work already put in? I for one would be willing to "donate" some paypal funds (or other things of value) to help achieve this.. probably others too. Thoughts?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 02:30 

[quote][quote]I understand the flaw with open source is quality control... Thanks to all for continuing to support wide-screen patches. Personally, I don't like the idea of running an executable called "Cheat Engine" while running Steam... which is why I haven't played Skyrim in over a month (sorry Helifax) ...it's just a name, but it seems a bit, eh, dirty.

QFT

I have respect for coders that take time to help, but if this were open source.. this forum would be like 4 pages long, and we'd have a fix within a day of any patches.

And no offense, but stating quality control as a reason for closed source is a pretty weak argument. Examples are too numerous to list, but would include Wordpress, Firefox, Android, Ubuntu, MySql, Fedora, 7-zip, Blender, Thunderbird, Wikipedia, Eclipse, PHP, Python, Perl, etc, etc. These are just some of the great open source projects that easily trump their closed source competitors.

Perhaps some incentive, some compensation for the work already put in? I for one would be willing to "donate" some paypal funds (or other things of value) to help achieve this.. probably others too. Thoughts?

I second that... and i will donate... i have been begging for the HAYDEN fix since day 1 of the new patch... waited patiently, told all the newbies to be patient and wait quietly, helped others to try the other fix, and keep telling myself and everyone else to be patient and wait for HAYDEN's fix (if they like that better)... i was trying to be polite with the situation, was trying to be understanding...

fast forward one month, I am done waiting now... i have not touch the game for more than 3 weeks now... basically cut it off cold turkey... i dont need the game anymore, i dont care if there is a fix, i moved on...

i mean... WTF? why the game developer is doing this to us? why my game has to rely on one programming guru to fix if and whenever he has spare time to fix it? This is just all kinds of wrong... WTF!

Post subject: Yes, I agree, I have not
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 04:28 

Yes, I agree, I have not played for weeks and I feel like I have moved on.

BTW TRusselo , you blasted some of us for not reading all the posts, even though you misunderstood what we were saying. FYI HaYDeN LIVES in NZ, he was VISITING Singapore.

As for open sorce, the original author has the right 100% of the time to keep the code to themselvs or to open it. Those of us that did not do the work only have one choice, use it or not.

If there is a new fix that is easy to use and that works I may come back to SKYRIM one day. Without a fix from Bethesda however I will certainly NOT buy any expansions or DLC.

CPU i-7920 DO @3.6 Ghz, PSU Corsair AX1200, GPU's 2 EVGA GTX 580's in SLI Surround, Monitors 3 Ea Samsung 245T's 24" @ 5760 X 1200, Storage, Boot Drive 120 Gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, Program drives, 2 Ea 300 Gb V-Raptors in RAID 0, Storage drive, WD RE3 1 TB, M

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 04:33 

Hi All,

New to the forums and having problems with the patcher. I have 3x BENQ G2420HD monitors running with AMD Radeon 6900 with an i7 processor.

I have edited the Skyrimprefs file and set it to the rez that I run (5824x1080), I run the skyrimUWv0.91 file (Leave everything as default) and then run the game and I find that the screen menus are still very close up in the menu and character creation but looks kinda fine in the game itself. when I check the patcher it has the following in the output log...

+ Searching for RUNNING Skyrim Process...
+ Skyrim process found...
+ Process opened successfully!
# Image: d:gamessteamsteamappscommonskyrimTESV.exe
# Version: 1.4.21.0
! This version is not supported, Terminating.
# Supporting: 1.1.21.0, 1.2.12.0, 1.3.7.0, 1.3.10.0

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Post subject: stormvermin wrote:Hi
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 06:56 

Hi All,

New to the forums and having problems with the patcher. I have 3x BENQ G2420HD monitors running with AMD Radeon 6900 with an i7 processor.

I have edited the Skyrimprefs file and set it to the rez that I run (5824x1080), I run the skyrimUWv0.91 file (Leave everything as default) and then run the game and I find that the screen menus are still very close up in the menu and character creation but looks kinda fine in the game itself. when I check the patcher it has the following in the output log...

+ Searching for RUNNING Skyrim Process...
+ Skyrim process found...
+ Process opened successfully!
# Image: d:gamessteamsteamappscommonskyrimTESV.exe
# Version: 1.4.21.0
! This version is not supported, Terminating.
# Supporting: 1.1.21.0, 1.2.12.0, 1.3.7.0, 1.3.10.0

Can anyone help?

Cheers

1. please read the old posts, this thread exists for a GOOD reason...

2. please search the site and educate yourself before asking question... answers to your questions can be found here...
http://widescreengamingforum.com/dr/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/en

you are welcome!

Post subject: Hello everyone,Regarding
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 12:57 

Hello everyone,
Regarding that multi-program and programmer solution, I don't know what are your primary occupation (jobs), but why not considering funding ?

I am not talking about donation, but I believe there is a small niche market for user like me (us?) that are in Triple (head) or screen (infinity, whatever) and who are using game apps, always hopping for support form the makers, or month later that someone make a fix.

There is indeed not a general application that works with "all games" (yeah I know it is an impossible dream...), but from what I see form this great community on Wsgf the "brains" are here, and so are the users...
More to the point : Team work, and kickstarter...
(www.kickstarter.com)

I would not dare telling you what to do, but to me it make sense... you could get spotlight, funding, and it could be a good way to gauge your future market even if it looks small. Maybe it is bigger than what I think, maybe it is smaller...
But when I see Nvidia and AMD showing off product on TripleScreen at convention/E3 what ever... I can't help thinking that once inside the spotlight you could get a reconnaissance/ help for them to distribute your application.... (let's go on dreaming...) in the CD that is given with every CG with the driver...

Who knows ?

Maybe it a good think to think about that ?
(but maybe your regular jobs are swamping you, and spending too much time on this is not a solution, money/time wise) I have no idea.
I do believe there is a market, small, but one. (now that all the CG are eye infinity/triple enabled)

(I am a TripleHeader btw)

Anyway, keep it up, my game experience wouldn't be the same without all of you. Merci again.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 16:04 

Yes, I agree, I have not played for weeks and I feel like I have moved on.

I don't feel like I've moved on, I've MOVED on. I made a mistake when I purchased Skyrim. My rule is if the game doesn't support multiple monitors out of the box, I don't buy it. I bought Skyrim assuming it was supported. Well, my error, and I wont make it again.

Finally, thank you to both Hayden and Halifax. I did get to play Skyrim for several weeks using Hayden's fix, so I thank you for that. I never could get Halifax's fix working, but admittedly, didn't really try that hard. Still, I appreciate his efforts.

Movin on....

Var

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229 ... 302  Next