Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Aug 2024, 20:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 20:23 

I'm having a slight problem. The game is, in fact, running in 1920x1080. The problem is that the aspect ratio still appears to be 4:3. Is there any way to change the aspect ratio to 16:9 or do I have to live with a stretched out image?

Edit: Never mind. After I reset it works beautifully. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 15:56 

Hi guys! Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I am desperate. I would really like to play Silent Hill 2 in 1920x1080 resolution. I've got the Directors Cut version. I've read all the related threads, used both files by Abram, tried modifying hex myself but I always get the same result. Whenver I execute the modified "sh2pc.exe" the game always crashes - "sh2pc.exe has stopped working". I think I tried everything already: different settings within the game, compatibility settings etc.

I can see dmxdex could resolve the same issue somehow and I was wondering if someone knows how to fix this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

These are the options I set before executing the modified exe:

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 23:44 
Insiders
Insiders

You are editing the cracked version of the Directors' Cut .exe from GameCopyWorld? Though the one linked to at the top of this page should still work.. You say you've tried doing the hex-edit yourself, so if that's done right.. should work. Hm.

Other than selecting 640x480, the other options do not matter... All i can suggest is trying the hex-edit for yourself once more. You can also use a hex edit to replace a different resolution with 1920x1080; like 800x600 or 1024x768. I believe the hex codes for those are in a link on page 1. Instead of finding/replacing (640x480), you could try replacing (800x600). Just be sure to select the appropriate resolution in the game, first.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=14434 All of the common resolution codes are there. That's about all i can think of. Oh, your hardware specs might be helpful.

And it's perfectly fine to bring up old threads.

Also, :welcome

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 01:34 

Thanks for your quick response! :) Yes, I am editing the version from GameCopyWorld. And indeed, since I was trying the files that you uploaded, it should have worked anyway. I am quite certain that I got the hex editing part right too. That's why I am quite confused. Usually I can manage to do this kind of stuff easily.

I will try changing other resolutions but my common sense tells me the problem lies somewhere else but I just can't figure it out :(

I don't need to change any compatibility options or anything, right? It's just weird anyway. The game runs flawlessly with inbuilt video resolutuions - 1280x1024 (not widescreen though) but not in 1920x1080 :(

You can see my full specs here http://www.overclock.net/system.php?i=72712 but I will also update my profile on WSGF shortly ;)

Too bad the guys who had similar problems didn't post how they resolved it. I think one of them mentioned that after reset everything worked. Well for me it didn't. And it was quite annoying I had to change all settings again and again after each failed attempt to launch the game in widescreen.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 03:54 
Insiders
Insiders

Yepp, all that should be required is that hex edit. No compatibility or any other tweak. As you said, the game runs fine, as-is. Since it runs fine before the hex edit, I'm forced to assume that you're not doing it correctly. What Hex program are you using? I've used XVI32 and ..uh... some other one :lol: I forget what. But XVI32 works like a charm.

PS - the link you provided requires registration to view.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 04:32 

Yepp, all that should be required is that hex edit. No compatibility or any other tweak. As you said, the game runs fine, as-is. Since it runs fine before the hex edit, I'm forced to assume that you're not doing it correctly. What Hex program are you using? I've used XVI32 and ..uh... some other one :lol: I forget what. But XVI32 works like a charm.

PS - the link you provided requires registration to view.

I did exactly as in this guide - http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156215#p156215

Plus, I tried both files that you yourself uploaded in this thread and I get exactly the same result. There must be something else. I will keep trying and report back if I am able to fix this.

Sorry about the link. I will figure something out, maybe add to signature. Cheers!

By the way, how come each post has to be checked by moderators? Slows down the process :P Or is it only for new people on forum? (Edit: Lol, just as I said it, this message got posted instantly :P)

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 04:48 
Insiders
Insiders

Well I don't know, man. Have you tried other 16:9 resolutions, just for shits 'n' giggles? Forcing AA on top of a smaller resolution will still look alright...

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 13:52 

Well I don't know, man. Have you tried other 16:9 resolutions, just for shits 'n' giggles? Forcing AA on top of a smaller resolution will still look alright...

Some progress. It indeed works with other widescreen reolutions. Running at 1600x900 now but tried 1280x720 as well. But it's just puzzling me why won't it let the native resolution of 1920x1080 :( Any idea what might be causing it? What's the best way to force AA in Silent Hill 2? I think I heard SH2 doesn't like AA?

However, it doesn't really need AA @ 1600x900 resolution. But I still wanna make it run @ 1920x1080!

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 00:28 
Insiders
Insiders

Yes, the mystery deepens... In the 3D section of your video drivers, I believe there's a Programs tab,. You can add the .exe for a game, and set any graphics settings you like to be used when you launch that particular game. I never tried it with Sh2, so I've no idea if the game like that or not.

But it's good to hear that you can at least get it running at 1600x900. Maybe try a just-under 1920x1080, custom resolution. But then you'd have to figure out eh hex value for that new resolution. I really have no idea why 1920x1080 won't work for you. Perhaps the game is trying to run a refresh rate that you display doesn't like? Maybe try it with another 1920x1080 monitor. I'm tempted to dig up my copy and see if mine does it. I have 1920x1200 displays, but they scale just fine. Last i played Silent Hill 2, i had 1680x1050's.

But, an imperfect solution is better than none.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2011, 02:13 

Yeh I tried something like 1920x1079 but still no go :( I've got 60 Hz refresh rate, nothing special here. Any other game runs fine so it's just really weird.. I am gonna reinstall Windows some time soon and try then. Maybe something messed up in my current OS like Directx or smth. Will report back if smth improves ;)

Oh and I stopped playing SH2 anyway since the typewriter machine in Hospital got bugged and is not showing me the code for one of the locks on the box on the 3rd floor. Just don't know if I can be bothered restarting the game again...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next