Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Sep 2024, 09:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 20:45 

So wait, Velvet, you've found a solution? Explain!

It's detailed above I thought?

Maybe not... haha. Here it is, courtesy of Magus on nvnews:

1. Replace "swkotor.exe" in your Steam/Steamapps/Common/swkotor folder with the no-disc crack exe found on several websites.

2. Run the auto-update program found in the same folder to "patch" your cracked exe to 1.3b if needed. My crack was not up to date.

3. Do the normal widescreen process as outlined in the detailed report.

This also makes it so you can launch Kotor from outside of Steam, which I guess is a side benefit.

Note that this is likely a violation of Steam's ToS, and any reprecussions are not the fault of anyone on WSGF.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 23:46 

Well I bought the Steam version, took a look at the executable and I couldn't find anything even remotely resembling the original hex strings.

Unfortunately it appears that the Steam version is encrypted, because things like hardcoded error messages - things that I should be able to find in the code regardless of any wrapper or addition to the executable - are nowhere to be found. This is a pretty good indicator of encryption (or compression, but Steam executable is larger than the retail verison so it's likely not that). If that's the case, then there's no chance of being able to figure out the correct edits.

It looks like using the cracked executable will have to be the "official" solution :(

StingingVelvet: Step 2 is unnecessary. Assuming you got the "Fairlight" cracked exe, the game is up to date. If you look at the log for the updater program, all it actually updates it the updater program itself. The content files for the Steam version are up to date, as is the Fairlight exe. If the exe wasn't actually up to date, the updater would download and replaced it with the latest disc version exectable, rendering the game unplayable.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 00:53 

StingingVelvet: Step 2 is unnecessary. Assuming you got the "Fairlight" cracked exe, the game is up to date. If you look at the log for the updater program, all it actually updates it the updater program itself. The content files for the Steam version are up to date, as is the Fairlight exe. If the exe wasn't actually up to date, the updater would download and replaced it with the latest disc version exectable, rendering the game unplayable.

All I know is that all I did from 1080p not showing up in the menu, to it showing up in the menu, is run the auto updater.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 01:36 

All I know is that all I did from 1080p not showing up in the menu, to it showing up in the menu, is run the auto updater.

Probably coincidence or just a matter of needing to resest the config file or something like that. Patchers like that don't actually edit executables, they simply download the latest version and replace them.

---

I updated the Kotor wiki page with info on the Steam version and to be a bit more direct in explaining the patching process.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/WSGF_Hacks_for_SW:KOTOR

I did provide some rough instructions on getting the no-CD executable, but no direct links. If anyone has a problem with that I apologize, but it's currently the only option available to owners of the Steam version of the game. It only directs them to an executable which is useless without the content files.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 02:02 

These are the steps I followed :

Replace swkotor.exe in (SteamSteamappsCommonswkotor) with 1.03 Fairlight No-CD crack

Run uniWS to and select 1024x768 on the dropdown, but put in my custom resolution in the other fields, then clicked patch.

Download & install the modified HUD files that matches my custom resolution, I found these here : http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/WSGF_Hacks_for_SW:KOTOR and I put them in the (SteamSteamappsCommonswkotorOverride) directory.

Launched game...And it worked! Thanks again for everyones help.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 03:45 

[quote]

Probably coincidence or just a matter of needing to resest the config file or something like that. Patchers like that don't actually edit executables, they simply download the latest version and replace them.

Well you probably know better than I... could of been a fluke. Either way, happy to have the game working in widescreen again.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 18:27 

I did the stuff, and UniWS said it can't write to swkotor.exe.

:(

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 21:20 

I did the stuff, and UniWS said it can't write to swkotor.exe.

:(

You replaced swkotor.exe with the proper no-cd crack?

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009, 09:04 

Sorry to resurrect this old thread.. but does anyone know what to do about not being able to see dialog choices?

I'm trying to play at 5760x1080 or 3072x768 and they just aren't showing up.

I downloaded the 1920x1080 HUD, but it doesn't seem to impact dialog text. I modified the .ini file for the game to switch to small font sizes, but it didn't make a difference.

The game works, I just can't see the dialog text.. I don't know if it is below the screen or just invisible.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be open to hearing them.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 13:17 

Anyone got a solution for the .bik video cutscenes that doesnt show when you are using the widescreen mod?

someone here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=201046&highlight=bink is saying that there's a solution, something about making the patcher not to tamper with the .bik files.. anyone know what that means?

EDIT:

nvm, found it here: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/8450

worked great :)