Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 23:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 15:41 
Insiders
Insiders

After putting a few hours into the game i can say that i don't really miss the extra FOV. I never thought I'd see myself say that.. most baddies can often been seen on radar, and you can usually hear them before you ever see them. Were it a FPS game, I'd bitch more. BUt it's okay as is. (of course if a fix came along I'd damned well use it)

Whether or not the way it came out was intended from the start, or design decision gone awry, it's still wrong in my book.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 19:53 

That is not true. Because in a 3D environment, you can be facing any direction, so it shouldn't matter how wide or narrow your FOV is as something jumping at you from behind/top/left/right won't suprise anyone if they are already facing the behind/top/left/right in the first place.

You be having trouble understanding what I've been explaining, but that doesn't make it anything less than the truth. When people walk forward though a doorway or other chokepoint, they natrually look forward at where they are going. Many level designers understand this fact and use it to their advantage, and hence the FOV of a game does effect their level designs.

If designers want to scare someone with an ambush for EG, then they have to have things jumping our from behind corners or objects. No matter teh FOV, you can't see behind a corners unless you are hacking.

Again, the issue I was presenting is when the designers don't intend the players to feel abushed from out of nowhere, but rather to see the enemies attacking from either side. Croping off the sides for 4:3 views would subvert that intent.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 23:10 

So, why do WS users get the shaft and get reduced height of the game area instead of bars on the sides? Is it because the developers give the finger to them or because the developers believe that cut down screen area for widescreen users is part of their artistic view of the game?

What a bunch of bullshit.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 23:34 

So, why do WS users get the shaft and get reduced height of the game area instead of bars on the sides?

You are overlooking the fact that this game was designed to target the 16:9 widesreen aspect ratio. 16:10 widescreen users like yourself would need bars on the top and bottom to format your display to the 16:9 aspect ratio view the game was designed around. You aren't getting a reduced height of the game, you are getting more height than the intended 16:9 view because the developers chose make full use of your display rather than crop such narrower displays down to narrower FOVs or letterbox the game to maintain a fixed aspect ratio.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2008, 00:17 

they natrually look forward at where they are going.

That is very presumtious. I pan left and right before I go through a door way. Regardless of my FOV, I will make sure I see the same thing.
If I do, then there would be others who do it and similar things.

Besides if it is a doorway, a large FOV can't see through it until it passes through the door way. But the same goes for a small FOV, it can't see through it until it passes through it at which point it has the same opportunity to be looking in whatever direction it wants, hence the 3D.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2008, 00:58 

[quote]So, why do WS users get the shaft and get reduced height of the game area instead of bars on the sides?

You are overlooking the fact that this game was designed to target the 16:9 widesreen aspect ratio. 16:10 widescreen users like yourself would need bars on the top and bottom to format your display to the 16:9 aspect ratio view the game was designed around. You aren't getting a reduced height of the game, you are getting more height than the intended 16:9 view because the developers chose make full use of your display rather than crop such narrower displays down to narrower FOVs or letterbox the game to maintain a fixed aspect ratio.

I wasn't actualy talking about Mass Effect, but in general.
When games, such as Gears of War, Bioshit and others if you play the game on a 4:3 resolution you get the same width but more height than in a 16:9 or 16:10 resolution. So you end up with either stretched image/view or an artificial zooming in so that the left and right end of the WS view is the exact same point as for the 4:3 user, and cut down height which makes absolutely no sense other that they couldn't be bothered with.

And when this repeatedly happens with games using the Unreal 3 engine, then you begin to see a pattern there. Also, since games after patches have made it clear that it is not a limitation of the engine itself (Rainbow Six Vegas, Bioshit) just that they didn't want to spend half an hour to fix the game for widescreen users and follow a copy and paste mentality in coding. (yes, very simplified but you get my point, I hope)

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2008, 01:33 

[quote] they natrually look forward at where they are going.

That is very presumtious. I pan left and right before I go through a door way. Regardless of my FOV, I will make sure I see the same thing.
If I do, then there would be others who do it and similar things.

Besides if it is a doorway, a large FOV can't see through it until it passes through the door way. But the same goes for a small FOV, it can't see through it until it passes through it at which point it has the same opportunity to be looking in whatever direction it wants, hence the 3D.

Sure, the opertunity is there, but more casual gamers often won't explot it. Again, developers often create their envoriments with such considerations in mind, and narrowing the FOV for narrower aspect ratios would subvert such intents.

[quote][quote]So, why do WS users get the shaft and get reduced height of the game area instead of bars on the sides?

I wasn't actualy talking about Mass Effect, but in general...
All the games you metion were designed to target the 16:9 widesreen aspect ratio, just the same as Mass Effect.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2008, 01:37 

All the games you metion were designed to target the 16:9 widesreen aspect ratio, just the same as Mass Effect.

BS. The only thing they did for 16:9 users was to zoom in the view and cut the height of the view.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2008, 02:14 

Do you really think those developers and publishers would promote their game with screenshots and video exclusively in 16:9 aspect ratio if that wasn't their intended view. BioShock, Gears of War, and the Rainbow Six: Vegas games, like Mass Effect, were all designed to target the 16:9 output modes of current generation consoles. Furthermore, situations in all those games can be found which behaving exactly as I described to JohnnyWakko above, where narrowing the FOV for narrower aspect ratios would crop out things which were obviously meant to be seen from a given view.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2008, 02:20 

Dude you are just trolling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next