Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Aug 2024, 05:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Solution: Sim City 4
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2004, 00:50 

hi, could you paste the 1920X1200 cfg for me
I am using the 23' screen and I want to see if my G5 can use this the resolution
appreciate

I think I've figured out how to force the game to run in a widescreen resolution but I need some people to try it out and verify.

Go download http://home.comcast.net/~st0rm/SimCity_4-1440x900.cfg

And save it into your My Documents/SimCity 4 folder. Backup your original "SimCity 4.cfg" file, then rename the file you downloaded to "SimCity 4.cfg"

Start up the game and see if it runs in 1440x900. I'm not sure what other kind of information is held in this CFG file, so by overwriting it with mine, you might lose other video card settings, or controls, or more. So just go ahead and change those back to how you want them.

If after that, loading your own cities and playing the game seems to work fine, post here, and then people are welcome to request CFG files for specific resolutions and I will upload them. Just let me know.

Wogg

Post subject: Sim City 4 - Discussion
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2004, 18:13 

The 1280x720 didn't work for me, either. Original game only.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2005, 16:00 

So for example I have a 2005FPW, so ideally I'd like to run 1680x1050. The height of 1050 doesnt work, so I do -r1680x1024x32 instead. This isn't a standard resolution supported by the monitor, so I added it in the custom resolutions through the NV Control Panel (6800 ultra). Otherwise the game will not run. Adding resolutions with different cards will vary of course..

Do you know of any third-party utilities for adding custom resolutions? I'm using the same monitor with a Radeon 9500 Pro and the Omega Drivers. Thanks. :)

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2005, 23:10 
Editors
Editors

Powerstrip. :)

Or the Omega Drivers, which should add a variety of resolutions just by installing them.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2005, 05:12 

The Omega Drivers do add a lot of extra resolutions, but don't have a built-in way to add new ones. Thanks for recommending PowerStrip, but I actually discovered it before reading your post. I really like SimCity 4 at 1680x1024 (though it doesn't change the fact that I suck at city building :wink:). And the game's HUD seems to adjust perfectly. It's as if the designers coded the game with widescreen in mind, but never integrated it into the game's Options panel. Very cool, though. I love you, Maxis! :)