Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 15:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Fix
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2006, 05:52 

I was just messing around with the nvidia control panel and I think I found the fix to this and many other games. Use the old style interface for Nvidia. First, set your desktop res. to 1024 X 768. Make sure you are on 60hz. Go to advanced timing (if you don't know where that is you shouldn't be doing this). Set to CVT on top. Set back end active on horizontal pixels to 1228. (This works for a 1440 x 900 Resolution). As soon as you hit apply, you should see black bars on the side. IF IT DOESN'T WORK THE FIRST TIME, PUT IN 1228 AGAIN AND CLICK APPLY AGAIN. Anytime you play a game in this resolution and at 60hz (the default), it should put these bars on the side. Ive used it for many other games as well. Once ur done, just switch back to your 1440 x 900 res.

For other resolutions, you will have to work out the math youself. 768 pixels divided by 10 and multiplied by 16 equals 1228.8. (I have a 16:10 aspect ratio). Also, if you have tried the "Digital Flat panal Scaling" tab and get garbled screen for everything, I would recommend changing to a 1024 x 768 resolution, then trying to alter these settings. I still find that these don't work properly, so maybe nvidia will correct this.

This fix is by no means perfect. Sometimes it resets it self, and you will notice that instead of black bars, the screen will stretch and you will see triple on the left side. To fix this, just mess around resolution, or reset the setting in the game. ( go to 800 x 600, then back to 1024 to 768). In AOE the main screen is in 800 x 600, so it will be stretched, but once you load up a game it works fine. Its better than nothing though.