Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Sep 2024, 11:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: running dual monitors
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 04:22 

Ok i have the viewsonic vx2025 wide screen. This model stretches every program to teh edges of the screen, with or without aspect ratio scaling. My biggest regret buying this 400$ monitor.

Since the only game i play is wc3 tft, the game gets stretched.....thus downgrading my play.

I was thinking of buying a 17in lcd dvi, and configure it work as a dual monitor setup. My question is that will i be able to dedicate one program to one monitor at a time? e.g. Like running wc3 tft on the 17in lcd and use my widescreen for desktop applications.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 06:16 

Setup properly, it's one big desktop. I have a 23" HP and a 19" Viewsonic setup in duel monitor with the 23" primary and the 19" secondary. The top one I run Teamspeak and anything else I need open and the bottom one I run my games (non Windowed mode). Only issue is if you click in another window when your gaming, Say to switch Teamspeak channels or surf the net, the game minimizes. I then have to click the minimized window to reactivate it but it's not a big deal.
One nice thing is that which ever window you close a program in, it automatically reopens in that window, sized the way you left it in the same spot you closed it in so it's pretty nice. Open TS and it's on the right hand side, Open IE and it's taking up the rest of the top monitor and then start my game and it's full screen in the bottom monitor.

Might check your on Screen Menu for settings to adjust or your video driver also. There should be a way to make it not stretch and run in an aspect respectful manner.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 06:50 

thanks for the reply gus

Ive been looking for a fix from my screen menue for quite some time, its not my drivers or anything, its the damn monitor. It refuses to add pillar boxing. Ive given up looking for a solution.

Gus jus want to be clear. When you move the mouse to the other moniter while playing a game on the 19in non-windowed, does the pointer stay within teh game or does it simply jump to the other screen with out having to alt-tab?

And would using one monitor dvi and one analog give me any trouble at all?

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007, 02:05 

If it's a screen in the game where you have mouse control, I am just able to roll it off the top edge of the primary onto the bottom of the secondary monitor. Once I click it in the top monitor, the bottom monitors game minimizes.
Can't help on the second question as both of my monitors are DVI and my card is a 2 DVI output version.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007, 13:18 
Editors
Editors

I have one DVI and one VGA monitor connected and theres no probs.

The trouble with games on one and standard apps on the other is the whole alt-tab thing. The game always has to be the active application (the ONLY exception i've found to this is the Pro Evo's which still respond to control input even if it isnt the active application)

Any game like an FPS where you use the mouse to look will "lock" the mouse to the middle of the screen, so you cant simply click off the application.
It's not too much hassle though, and it's just handy leaving chat windows etc on the other monitor so even when you're playing, you can tell if someone's talkin to you.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2007, 20:58 

Any game like an FPS where you use the mouse to look will "lock" the mouse to the middle of the screen, so you cant simply click off the application.
It's not too much hassle though, and it's just handy leaving chat windows etc on the other monitor so even when you're playing, you can tell if someone's talkin to you.

What about an RTS game? A game without a locked mouse. Basically i would have to move the mouse to teh edge of the screen to move the viewing area around the battlefield. So in this case, have you tried an RTS game on ur dual setup?

i got a 20 in widescreen so 17in would be about the same correct?

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2007, 22:02 
Editors
Editors

I have found only very few games let you "mouse off" the game window onto the next screen. You should be fine. The only RTS i've tried is Company of Heroes, but I'd expect they all handle the mouse cursor in the same way.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam