Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 17:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: COD&UO
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2006, 02:01 

Hi everyone,im all new to this widescreen gaming.I just bought a Samsung LN-R238W LCD. Most of my games play fine on it(Nascar 2003,GT Legends,COD2,Fear,rFactor,Original Half Life.I read the post about how to do the custom resolutions but am alittle stumped.I noticed the custom hieght and width are set at 1680x1050.My monitor has a 16.9 Aspect ratio and a max resolution of 1360x768 which my other games all support.I was just wondering if these are the numbers i should be using for custom hieght and width?I tried these numbers and when i go into the game graphics options it always reverts back to 1024x768.Any help would be great. Thanks!!

Moved from Solutions ... please try to post in the appropriate section ... :D

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2006, 10:02 
Editors
Editors

Yes you should use the resolution for your monitor ... 1360x768 not 1680x1050.

Often the new resolutions do not show up in the games graphics options (depending on the game) ... and on some games going into the graphics options even without changing anything in there will cause the game to revert back to it's default resolution.

Try again with the correct res and do not go back in to the graphics options of the game ... to check to see if the game is running at your resolution take a screenshot using Fraps ... you will then be able to look at the size of the image screenshot which will tell you the resolution that you are running at.
You can get Fraps here ... http://www.fraps.com/download.php

Let us know if this helps ... :D

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2006, 18:41 

Ill try it when i get home Paddy.Thanks for the help and i will post back tonight.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2006, 02:23 

Paddy it seems to work now.Screen shots from fraps say 1360x768.I get alot of flickering when loading the maps.Any way around this?Also my Fov seems to get set back to the defalt 80.Thanks!!

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2006, 09:31 
Editors
Editors

Hey there ...
Just to recap on what you have done to get the COD & COD-UO running in widescreen ... this is what you need to do ...

Run the game once ... then ... edit or add these lines in config.cfg for the original Call of Duty and uoconfig.cfg for United Offensive

These cfg files will be found in the Call of DutyMain folder and the Call of Dutyuo folder.

seta cg_fov "108"
Set this to whatever looks best for your widescreen resolution but 108 should be about right.
seta r_customheight "768"
seta r_customwidth "1360"

seta r_mode "-1"

These would be the best settings for you.

Now you say that the FOV is resetting it's self back to 80 ... ?
It shouldn't ... but it doesn't work in multiplayer ... are you playing multiplayer ?

If not I'm not sure what is wrong ... you could try making the config.cfg and the uoconfig.cfg read only by right clicking on it ... select properties ... and tick the box at the bottom to make the file read only.

If that doesn't work do a search in the games folders for config.cfg and the uoconfig.cfg there may be more than one of these ... then make sure that they all have the changes.

I'm not sure what the flickering is ... could you describe it again ...
Is it just when loading a level or are things flickering when you are playing the game ?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2006, 18:08 

Hi Paddy,I only have been playing multiplayer so yes it happens on the Multiplayer mode only as far as setting the fov back to 80.As far as the flickering goes,when i join a multiplayer map like caranten,or dawnville when the loading screen appears thats when i get the flickering(I see the map loading screen in the background but mostly the screen goes black).There is no video in the beginning its basically just a still picture of the map with the loading bar on the bottom.I have done the settings in the config files as you stated.I have to say though the only cfg files i found were mp_ cfgs.I changed both configs in COD and the UO folders.Kinda stumped on the flickering.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2006, 18:10 

Oh and sorry Paddy,The flickering only happens when loading a map.Game runs great.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2006, 18:17 
Editors
Editors

I'm stumped too with regard to your flickering ... at least the game plays Ok ... :D
It's a shame the FOV tweak doesn't work in MP ... I don't think there is anyway around it ... :(

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2006, 18:23 

maybe just for kicks ill reload the game and try the tweaks again just to make sure i didnt change anything else by mistake.Game looks awesome though.Thanks for your help Paddy.Im sure ill see you around again soon.If i find anything out ill post back with results.Very helpful forums.Thanks Again!!

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2006, 05:30 

O.K Paddy,Just reloaded and still the same problem.Quess ill just have to live with it!!!! LOL!!! Thanks Again!!