Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Oct 2024, 08:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Half-Life Native?!
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 01:36 

It has widescreen support. It support 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9.

What do you mean by "Yet, when I installed it and told it to play I get a blank screen from my tv (Sony KDFE55A20). "

Told it to play? did you start a map or just tried to launch the game and then it went black?

Hook up a regular monitor and start HL2 and go to options>video and choose aspect ratio to match your sony screen and choose a resolution that it can handle and click ok. then hook up your tv and it should work.

You should only choose aspect ratio and resolution the tv can show. Check out what the speccs says.

I'd actually installed the game and attempt to start it via STEAM. The screen went blank right after the app began to boot. I saw no logos, opening movies, etc. Just blank.

I've since re-formatted my machine (it needed it anyway) and am continuing to work on it. Yes, I've tried to hook up the monitor to it and it usually is able to show any/all resolutions without issue. Now, that having been said, when I have both the DVI and regular connection set up (eg I have the pc going to the HDTV and a regular CRT) I have to tell the Catalyst Control Center to "clone with CRT" in order to see the image on both screens.

I'm currently working on what resolutions will work using both displays at the same time.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 01:40 

JediRory, what was that post good for? no info.

Have you tried hooking it up to a regular monitor and choose the correct aspect ratio and resolution as I said?

No point to answer with NO helpful info.

The 16:9 info wasn´t info as I don´t think anyone here thought a tv would have a different aspect ratio and I have already read the info at the manufaturer site.

First, let me honestly apologize ahead of time if I read in to this incorrectly.

That having been said, you came off as a jerk here. The point of that post was to answer someone elses post...not direct it at you. Now, I'm not intending to flame or start anything; I just wanted to let you know you came across a bit harsh there and should probably re-read your posts a bit more in the future.

Thanks for the helpful post prior to this last one...I hope to get more from you as you seem knowledgeable.

Thanks and no hard feelings....

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 01:50 

And here is more info about that TV.
Damn what have u bought man.. it's kinda big!

http://shop.pcmag.com/shop/product_specs/Sony+KDFE55A20+55+in+HDTVReady+LCD+Television+Products+/24191353.aspx

Hey there, boss....thanks for the assist, there....but it's another no-go.

During installation it said it couldn't detect any drivers/hardware that it supported. Weird, as i have a Radeon 9800 Pro....I would think that would qualify......

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 01:54 

[quote]And here is more info about that TV.

http://shop.pcmag.com/shop/product_specs/Sony+KDFE55A20+55+in+HDTVReady+LCD+Television+Products+/24191353.aspx

During installation it said it couldn't detect any drivers/hardware that it supported. Weird, as i have a Radeon 9800 Pro....I would think that would qualify......

GAH!....I'm an idiot. I download the force as opposed to the ATI. I'm trying those now. ;)

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 02:08 

[quote][quote]And here is more info about that TV.

GAH!....I'm an idiot. I download the force as opposed to the ATI. I'm trying those now. ;)

Well, so much for that.....still a no go. This time it installed correctlymy native res.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 09:48 

[quote]JediRory, what was that post good for? no info.

Have you tried hooking it up to a regular monitor and choose the correct aspect ratio and resolution as I said?

No point to answer with NO helpful info.

The 16:9 info wasn´t info as I don´t think anyone here thought a tv would have a different aspect ratio and I have already read the info at the manufaturer site.

First, let me honestly apologize ahead of time if I read in to this incorrectly.

That having been said, you came off as a jerk here. The point of that post was to answer someone elses post...not direct it at you. Now, I'm not intending to flame or start anything; I just wanted to let you know you came across a bit harsh there and should probably re-read your posts a bit more in the future.

Thanks for the helpful post prior to this last one...I hope to get more from you as you seem knowledgeable.

Thanks and no hard feelings....

I think he was offended at the fact that you didn't even acknologe his attempt to help you. I'm not sure if you are really interested in getting your TV working with your PC, but if you are it would help if you made more of an attempt to work with the people who are trying to help you.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 11:36 

[quote][quote][quote]And here is more info about that TV.

Well, so much for that.....still a no go. This time it installed correctlymy native res.
So still not right eh.?
Eh sorry, I have nothing for you anymore

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 17:03 
Editors
Editors

kyleb, right on the spot about how I felt.

It is frustrating when people try to help others in their spare time and the people with the problem don´t even try the tips. I wish I had precognition so I would know who is worth helping :)

Thumbs up for kyleb.

Probobly bad english but hey i´m from sweden.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2005, 02:32 

kyleb, right on the spot about how I felt.

It is frustrating when people try to help others in their spare time and the people with the problem don´t even try the tips. I wish I had precognition so I would know who is worth helping :)

Thumbs up for kyleb.

Probobly bad english but hey i´m from sweden.

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I'll try to be more helpful in the future, as I DO value everyone's opinion on this forum.

I have hooked up the extra monitor and am working on the different resolutions. What I've found is that the majority of resolutions will work fine on the monitor but not on the tv. Only a select few will work on both, one of those bein the 1152x684 res mentioned earlier.

Have any of you run in to issues regarding the use of a DVI->HDMI dongle and ATI Catalyst drivers? I've got the 5.8s which are supposed to support HDMI but don't seem to be helping me much.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2005, 03:02 

Use the Calalist Control Center's display manager to set your second display to run as an extended desktop instead of running in clone mode, that way you don't have find resolutions that work on both your TV and your monitor, you can set the two individually.