Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 21:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2005, 13:41 

:roll: I'm pretty much a noob and I just can't seem to make the directions for resizing the screen on my NFSU to work.
I have a Dell I9200, 1920 x 1600, ATI 9700.

What's it supposed to do? NFSU already looks great and fills up the screen.
Will this somehow give more detail or something?

Both methods in the sticky each say "Only pathches a cracked .exe"
How am I supposed to "crack" the .exe. (WTH does that even mean?!)
Is this what the .ini is supposed to do? I don't know what to do with it.

I've read all four pages of the thread several times, but I think it's written with the assumption that readers will have a certain understanding of this stuff already.

I've even tried resolutions that should've produced crappy results (600 x 400) just to make sure it was'nt actually working.
I'm not doing something correctly.

Thanks

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2005, 18:36 

hi gold beater

a cracked exe. means you have to download a cracked exe(so it plays without inserting the disk). i usually get them from gamecopyworld.com, after you replace the original exe with the cracked one, then you run woggs patcher. Make sure the version of the exe you download matches the version of nfsu you have. ie if you patched nfsu with the latest patch version 4.00, then you'll need the exe for the same version.
hope this helps

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2005, 19:03 

Thanks for the reply. That helps alot!
Unfortunatly the site you gave only has NFSUII.
Is there another popular site that will have it?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2005, 19:37 

Ooops, My bad. I found it.
-In the index. Who woulda thunk it?! :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2005, 01:11 

Ok., so now I'm getting a bit frustrated. I've been working on this all day off & on, and I'm having a bitch of a time loading a crack for NFSU.

Does anyone either have one, or know where I can get one that doesn't make me feel like my computer is being overtaken by spyware? :roll:

& BTW, I have Norton AV 2005. Is this screwing with my apparent inability to hook up with an address begining with "ftp://....."?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2005, 04:07 

gamecopyworld is ok, IF you use firefox, and let it block popup ads.

believe it or not, it's probably the least dodgy site for cracked exe's and trainers out there.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2005, 15:09 

I still can't seem to get it.
If someone could just tell me what the difference it will make playing NFSU on my 1920 x 1200, I would appreciate it.
Right now, I can play 1280 x 1024, and it fills the screen. I get clear shots and with the graphics options maxed I get 63 fps.

What will be made better? Will this make some of the jaggies disappear on diagnal lines? I mean is the difference gonna be orgasmicly obvious, or would I need to be a hardcore gamer to notice?

I went to GCW.com and loaded:

" NFS: Underground v1.4 [US] No-CD/Fixed EXE #2 ".

It has the following instructions:

[list]Install the game - Full Installation.[/list:u]
[list]Apply the official NFS: Underground v1.4 Patch.[/list:u]
[list]Replace the original SPEED.EXE executable with the one from the File Archive. [/list:u]
[list]Play the Game! [/list:u]

The program I got from the download is:

drn-nu14.rar

-Seemed simple enough. I went to the EAGAMES.com site and tried downloading their official patch, which they describe as something that will fix the dark screen problem at certain resolutions. "Progress!", I thought. I must be on the right track since it's a screen fix, right?
But I can't open any of the mirrored sites to download the fix.
It may or may not have something to do with the fact that the sites I'm being directed to start with "ftp://..." and not "http://...", in which case maybe it's my XP puking or more likely, my Norton AV 2005.
I lowered every browser security setting, shut down firewalls & Norton...still nothing.

WTF?! :x

So I decide to try it without the official NFS patch.

IT DOESN'T FRIGGIN WORK!
Replacing the "Speed.exe" with the BS they gave me DOESN'T WORK.

Ok, so maybe I do need that patch from EAGAMES.com afterall...

But nowhere do I see the word "crack" or "cracked".
"Is this a bad word indicative of piracy or something?", I ask myself.
No, not according to http://www.easycracks.net it's not! :lol:
But I finally come to their "cracks" for NFS:U, and it's just a list of serial numbers.

Again...WTF?!

I have the original game. Two discs, serial #, all that crap.

All I want to do is play this thing in as hi definition as I can on my 1920 x 1200 screen.

It's no biggy to you guys, I'm sure. But just realize this- I live out in the friggin backwoods of dairyland NY where the phone always has static on it and I connect at 28 kb/sec when it's dry outside!
This shit took me all damn day!

Being a noob sux. :x

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2005, 01:45 

if you did not install the patch, then download the cracked exe for the original version.
every crack has a version number that matches the patch for the game. If you do get this going, then apply a patch afterwards, then you will need to replace the exe again with the new crack.
As far as your browser not downloading from an ftp, if you go to your internet options, you should be able to change a setting to allow to download from a ftp.
Will the game look different/better at a higher res? yes it will, will it be orgasmic? depends on how easily you get aroused. I would questions whether your 9700 would run it at decent frame rates. What cpu you running?
I can associate with your frustration, we've all been there before.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2005, 02:35 

Thanks, Fitter.

I'll try again tonight.
I'm running a Dothan 1.8 with 256MB RAM. (-please dont laugh at my puny RAM. :oops: :lol: )

I'll keep going with this, but now that you know my CPU, do you think frame rate will suffer terribly? I really love how smooth it is right now.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2005, 03:42 

i would doubt game play would be as smooth. The native res of your monitor is very good, but your rig would have some problems keeping up.
Even if you do get it goin at that res, and you find it unplayable, at least you'll know how to change res's with wogg's patcher. Will come in handy later for other games.