Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 22:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2011, 17:13 

I have had FSX for the past 4 years now but I have never installed any add-ons (scenery, planes, etc.). Can you guys recommend me some? Thanks!

Post subject: VRS Superbug
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2011, 04:06 
Insiders
Insiders

VRS Superbug and soon the TacPack.

http://www.vrsimulations.com/tacpack.htm

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2011, 09:33 

LEVEL-D 767 (one of the best add-ons ever).
Be aware that there will be a learning curve if you have only flown with default MS planes. The systems are modeled for more than 85%, so to start a engine for example you can forget about CTRL + E :)

No Garmin GPS aswell, you have to program the flight into the FMC... but he, if you want to perform a more realistic flight than this will increase the fun for sure!
website

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 03:17 

I prefer the scenery upgrades from VERO-FS, which are currently limited to areas of California, USA at this time. They release the scenery in "blocks" about once a week, periodically. So far they have all of Northern CA done as well as Los Angeles, and they are working on the Southern end of it now. Their scenery is truly remarkable. It is made from actual satellite imagery, and the difference between stock and VERO is stunning, to say the least. Plenty of screen shots on their site to show what they have to offer. It isn't free, but the price is reasonable. Each block is about 1/45th of the entire state. They sell for 1.90 Euro per block for the less expensive Silver edition (no changes in season) which works out to about $2.86 US. The Gold edition blocks have seasonal changes and cost a bit more, but I haven't tried any of those.

I am in Ohio, and would love to see them do their magic closer to home, but I have actually started flying almost exclusively in CA just so I can use their scenery. When you use external view and zoom up away from the Earth, you can really see the differences when you hit the end of one of their blocks. The attached picture shows their scenery on the lower right, compared to the stock FSX scenery on the left and upper portion. This particular block was one they gave away for free at the start of the project. Although this is a rather high altitude shot, the detail much closer is very impressive. Their pictures on their site do much better showing the close up detail.

For aircraft add-ons there are several sites where you can get them free, and some 'payware' sites that have really nice add-ons like the A10 Warthog I bought from one of them. One of the freeware sites I really like is Simviation. They have a lot of stuff, and also a nice forum where friendly folks will help you with any problems, just like on here. :) Although FSX is getting long in the tooth, and some sites that supported it have seen little action since about 2006, I was browsing for aircraft and such on Simviation just last night, and after browsing 50 pages of all sorts of available downloads (posted newest toward oldest) I was still only as far back in time as June 2011! The newest posts were made yesterday. There is a thriving FSX community there for sure!

Attached files

Post subject: add on
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 01:11 

try pmdg aircraft