Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 13:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 22:06 

Well the PC demo is now here. Let me be the first to congratulate Crytek on their first console port for PC! I am so glad I don't have to be bothered with all those confusing options that let me customize the performance of the game to my specific configuration anymore. The interface is so engaging that I have to navigate through so many eyepopping menus to get to what I want to change or observe. And it's so good that it looks and plays exactly like the Xbox 360 version! I now have HD console gaming for my PC! I also have that wonderful progressive acceleration you need for joysticks on my mouse. This totally immerses the player and levels the playing field for all.

Seriously, though, the gameplay is pretty fun once you get used to it. And at least the game is Hor+ in widescreen resolutions with no HUD anomalies, though the FOV is a lot narrower now coming from the consoles.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 22:56 

Autoaim is on in multiplayer by default, that is all.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 23:22 

Anyone tried multi monitors yet? I can't download big files during the day... share the internet with 3 other guys and it's slow enough as it is.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 01:53 

Yes, it actually works well.

Unfortunately

1) It still feels too 'zoomed-in', the FOV feels the same as Far Cry or Modern Warfare 2 ... enough to make me feel a tiny bit motion sick when running the game on a single screen

2) Enabling 3 screen eyefinity at 5292x1080 slaughtered the framerate. It was pretty much unplayably low on my system (overclocked 5850, overclocked Q6600 @ 3.33ghz). I had to slow my game down and camp or ambush.

Even with 3 screens I'd like the FOV widened a bit.

That was on the highest setting, I think (Hardcore), so I've switched it down to the lowest (Advanced) but not tried again yet. Will do tomorrow and report back. But what's the point of playing Crysis with the eye candy off? I've not played for long, but the gameplay doesn't seem sooooo amazing that I can make do with ugly graphics.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 06:51 

Everything seems to be proper Hor+ so far.
Except for one minor problem with the character model on the class loadout screen (but the menu buttons themselves seem to be fine?)
Some menus are pillarboxed at 16:9.
HUD seems to be on screen edges.
The demo graphics menu detected the custom resolution I had set up in Windows.

16:9 stacked on top of wider shot.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 10:32 
Insiders
Insiders

"MAXIMUM CONSOLE..." :nudgenudge

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 22:09 
Editors
Editors

A couple nice tweaks... Create a shortcut and add these parameters :

+cl_fov=90 +pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=90 +r_MotionBlur=0 +g_skipIntro=1 +r_glow=0

-Default FOV seems to be 60, higher values will act like a zoom out (Hor+/Vert+).
-Motion blur & glow off should help the game look like a proper PC product :P

Screenshots (found here with the rest):

FOV 75

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2011, 12:27 

The interface is so engaging that I have to navigate through so many eyepopping menus to get to what I want to change or observe.
I also have that wonderful progressive acceleration you need for joysticks on my mouse.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I might down load the demo and see how she goes. But I aint buying it if it feels like your usual console port, which by the above sounds like it is. Darsted porting.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2011, 21:20 
Insiders
Insiders

Technically the game isn't really a "port" in the true sense. But the console-focused design decisions are obvious and piss me off.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2011, 21:45 

[quote]

The interface is so engaging that I have to navigate through so many eyepopping menus to get to what I want to change or observe.
I also have that wonderful progressive acceleration you need for joysticks on my mouse.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I might down load the demo and see how she goes. But I aint buying it if it feels like your usual console port, which by the above sounds like it is. Darsted porting.
I kind of over exaggerated, but it does get across my disdain for the console-focused design. I loved the menus in Crysis and Warhead so much, it was so easy to find and change things. The new interface is like a kick to the nuts, looking a lot like Call of Duty. The reduced customizable options add insult to injury. There may be command line or config file options to disable mouse acceleration or smoothing, but I don't think we'll know more about that until the retail release.