Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 13:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dragon Age 2
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 04:14 

I was planning on buying Dragon Age 2 and almost didn't bother trying the demo. I have loved every single Bioware RPG (even Jade Empire!) but after playing the demo, i am not going to play that game. I think that the game has been dumbed down too much. The combat felt like i was playing Dynasty Warriors. Instead of a role playing game, this was a button mashing action fest.

Post subject: Re: Dragon Age 2
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 06:06 

Agreed, but BioWare's storytelling is almost second-to-none. I'll buy it when it's like $20, or just rent it from GameFly. The gameplay changes are definitely not worth a full $60.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 10:18 
Insiders
Insiders

I loved Origins, but early on the change in art style was disappointing but I was reserving final judgment until real reviews could circulate or I could try the game. I played the demo and have exactly zero interest in picking up Dragon Age 2 right away.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 20:52 

I am playing orgins now I love the game. So you would think the new one would be better then the first.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 21:48 

My first impression is that Origins is much better than the second. There are some revealing comments of former project member from Bioware, Brent Knowles, about how Bioware is no longer the same company now that it is owned by EA. Marketing Director of EA, David Silverman, bashes Origins in many of the interviews he has done, leading me to believe that the direction of 2 to a more "accesible" action game was due in large part to EA.

Here is Brent Knowles' blog about his last year at Bioware:
http://blog.brentknowles.com/2010/08/15/bioware-brent-year-10-fall-2008-summer-2009/

Here, he posts congratulations to Bioware on the release of the DA II demo. The discussions in the comments are most interesting:
http://blog.brentknowles.com/2011/02/13/dragon-age-2/

Do a search for "David Silverman" and "Dragon Age 2" at your favorite video hosting site to see what he's all about.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 11:36 
Editors
Editors

DA2 is, unfortunately, looking like a game that I'll wait for the Ultimate edition of, if I ever buy it.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 04:41 
Insiders
Insiders

Same here, I'm really off put by DLC. Especially with the nonsense Bioware pulled with the Signature Edition where they removed an entire companion and his quests from the game if you didn't pre-order particularly early. It's only $7 dollars (payable directly to EA) to add it back in though! Another facet of DLC from Bioware that bothers me was "Witch Hunt" and "Shadow Broker" wherein they start a plot thread in the main game, then hold the conclusion of that thread ransom via paid DLC. Overlord was good DLC in that it started a brand new plot thread that related to the game universe without holding storylines from the game proper ransom.

Lets also talk about their promise from the first game. Now I'm not a fan of DLC in general, but Bioware made a statement saying they intended to support DA:O for two years with constant releases of DLC for the game. They however went back on their word and stopped producing DLC to instead make a sequel, and their response to customers unhappy with this reversal was, in short, "tough luck". If you encourage people to buy your game by saying you are going to give it long-term support with new content, then you had better darn well do so.

This all adds up to me waiting for bundled editions for a bargain price. Odd how attempting to squeeze every penny out of your customers can have the opposite effect. I have on the other hand, already pre-pruchased The Witcher 2 and Portal 2 as CD Projekt Red and Valve have shown that they'll provide true post-release support and enhancements and focus on providing value to their customers, rather than trying to milk money of out them shamelessly.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 13:38 

The DLC business model is unfortunately a symptom of having been purchased by EA. EA has made it public that they want to maximize revenue from users of their games by luring them into post-game purchases, and the general public accepts this change and keeps giving them money. If people keep buying their products the way they want to sell them, then there is no reason for them to stop. They try to rationalize saying that the team that produces the DLC has a separate team and separate budget from the main game, and this justifies there business model even though as you pointed out, the DLC is already integrated into the main game.

I'm with you on this point. Because of "Ultimate" and "Game of the Year" editions I will no longer purchase games from publishers with this business model until those releases are made available. I have no problem waiting 8-12 months to save potentially $60-$70 in DLC just to get to be able to play the whole game. I personally purchased DA:O Ultimate on Steam during the Christmas sale for $25, saving myself $90 had I purchased the game at release and all the DLC that came afterward. I admit that Mass Effect 3 will be the last game that is a day-one purchase for me, but then again ignoring the PS3 release, there has never been an edition of ME that included all the DLC after release as of yet. There will probably a trilogy of some sort by the time the movie comes out.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 16:35 
Editors
Editors

What annoys me about the Mass Effect DLC is that it should be included in the Steam version - it's not like you can get the Steam version without paying for it, so it fails as an anti-piracy incentive. Having to sign up to yet more damned accounts for this, that and the other... haven't I got enough logins already? :shock:

Reading reviews of DA2... it's becoming doubtful whether I buy it later. In a month I'll probably have forgotten it existed.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 06:34 

5760x1200