Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 17:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 14:54 

It's the biggest BC2 map to date, and its fairly epic on a surround screen setup particularly if you like flying choppers. Well worth a look if you haven't played the game in a while.

Jeez, I sound like a Community Relations officer for Dice. LOL.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 09:15 
Insiders
Insiders

Has anyone else issues with seemingly random crashes to desktop with this game in surround?

I can play for 4 hours sometimes or sometimes 20 minutes, but it just boots me to my desktop eventually. On one screen I can play with no issue. I've tried lowering the settings a bit, lower surround res, bezel comp on/off. nothing seems to fix it.

I put up with it because I can often make it a few maps before I crash, and the game's gorgeous in surround, but it's annoying when it happens.

Back to the OP.. yeah that map is huuuuuge. I bet you could fit 5 of every black ops map in there.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 13:59 

Hijacking... Yer not the only one having issues with multi-monitor setups for this game. I have the exact issue of random CTDs when playing this game. Everything else, I can play fine with no issues (even NFSHP). But this one, I can't play for long until I started tweaking the settings. I think the biggest issue is when you load the card/GPU up that the chances of a CTD increases. I can play on almost any other maps without any major crashes or whatnot and I have gone through sessions crash-free except for one: Laguna Presa.

What I ended up doing was edit the settings.ini file and knock down every graphic/visual settings down to minimum. At first, this will really make the game look half ugly because all the trees within range will be fully rendered but anything beyond that are 2D textures. Static objects like stairs and other decorative objects go missing (see Atacama Desert at the broken ship mid-section). Then one by one I start increasing the visual details starting with some of the absolute must.

Effects=medium -- I set to medium as it controls transparency of shallow waters. I use AT Mines so checking to see my mines are still around is kinda necessary for me.
Soldiers=low, Vehicles=low, Overgrowth=high -- controls "level of detail" rendering for soldiers, vehicles, trees/vegetation respectively. I suggest to always keep Overgrowth to high to keep your drawing/rendering distance for trees max'd out.
Undergrowth=low -- 2D texture painting of the grass and other things. Not likely a priority if it will save you a crash or two
StaticObjects=medium -- indestructible objects and other decors like stairs, desks, and whatever (see Atacama Desert at broken ship's mid-section). If set to low, these objects won't get rendered.

The rest of the settings I never bothered with nor do I know on what they do. So far, on a single card Eyefinity setup, I have not crashed out as often so I am fairly happy with this setting. For the time being, this is my only work-around despite that I'd rather have some settings on high while others not. Hope this'll help out and maybe clue you in on how to work around that mess.

Anyway, sorry for the hijacking section. On topic, the new maps are great and such a refresher. Heavy Metal is crazy big and am liking the size of it. It's still too linear but at least there are quite a few ways to get past the front line. I had a clanmate blurt out "If you can get from your base to the other base on foot, then ... you're the man." I did exactly that. lol. Sure the team didn't exactly win but the map is so refreshing that I can screw around more rather than worry about winning. Much more relaxing than the other maps.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 14:45 

i did have a lot of ctd in bad company 2 when i was running ati eyefinity, but dont think i have had a single ctd since i swapped to nvidia surround. not sure it helps, but still seems to be an ati driver issue as it was the only thing i changed

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 15:34 

I've had no problems with stability, granted I'm running quite low settings due to using a 5770.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2010, 06:11 

I must say, the new map pack is pretty awesome. I've had trouble finding a single map that I didn't like in the new maps. Heavy Metal especially is crazy. At first I was tempted to play as recon a lot on this map, but it can get so gigantic that you have to use a lot of marksman shots, and can be quite difficult at times TBH. Eventually I came to love Heavy Metal playing as engineer with a few buddies though. The chaos that ensues around cap B in vehicles and squad battles is pure gold. Can't wait for the vietnam update later this month. :rockout

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2010, 12:42 

Yeah, I've been dropping 3 pairs of mine around Cap B whenever I can, loads of tank kills. I have a m8 who can fly pretty good too, so we grab the Havoc or the Apache when ever we can, if both pilot and gunner have the alternate weapons specialization then you can use the trace/hellfire combo which is cool on this map.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2010, 12:43 

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2010, 22:16 

That last post is popping off some kind of authentication dialog for some kind of service from Exetel.
The link is broken Johnny although you probably see it fine, is it some kind of personal picture server.